Pool Priming Problem

Hi all,

I just bought a house with an inground pool and was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem I am having.

As I said I have an inground pool, with a spa attached. It is a new pool, just put in last year. My pump is about 4 feet higher than the pool. I went to clean the pump basket today and lost the prime on the lines heading to the pump. I am trying to fill the basket with water to get my prime back, however, when I fill it, the water just heads back to the pool, leaving the pump basket at the same water level. There is a three way Jandy valve that is near the pump basket. However, I have tried every position for the valve and it is still letting water escape back to the pool.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

Most in ground pool pumps, once the front has water to the bottom of the suction side pipe, will pull out the air and reprime, assuming there are no air leaks.

Next time, to speed things up, close the valves on the suction side before removing the lid. Then turn on the pump and open the valves one at a time.

Scott

Hi Jon,

We had a similar problem here at our pool. We had no leaks and could not figure out what was going on - we finally ripped apart our Jandy valves and found that the diverter assembly rubber gasket was mangled. So we ordered new diverter assemblies, replaced them and haven't lost prime since.

Good Luck!

Kristen

Kristen brings up a good point as does pool guy. I do anticipate you have a leak... somewhere! Good news, it's likely above ground and likely easily repaired. Start with each of your jandy valves. If you have 1 3 way in front of the pump, then hopefully you have more three ways or even some 2 way valves on each line as it comes up out of the ground. For instance, your 3 way maybe goes to your spa on one side and your pool on the other, then hopefully you have additional 3 way/2 way valves for each skimmer and or main drain. With any luck your 3 way in front of your pump goes to your spa/pool, and maybe your spa has a higher eleveation than your pool? IF this is the case start by trying to prime off your spa! but first, open your pump lid, and close your 1st three way so it only goes to the pool, then close each additional valve so that it closes the line off back to the pool, fill with water, this will give you more volume of water in your initial prime and less air as you crack each line. put your lid back on, and rotate your first 3 way back to your spa, start your prime here, if it primes great, if it doesn't... Abort! and tear this first jandy valve down. It has 3 orings, two on the stem, one on top of the other, and one large o-ring, lube them, even if they appear to be good and intact lube them! Reassemble and try again, btw this is most likely your problem child as it tends to have suction against a valve that is often closed to one port rather than often open... if it primes then open your first valve, yes it will pull air but should prime promptly, if it doesn't. Tear down that valve, and repeat! I seldom have to replace these o-rings, but you might still have too! But they do liked to be lubed!!!

other possible causes! Low water level, you're pulling air into a skimmer? Stuck weir (skimmer) door, door doesn't open when the pump turns on and the skimmer draws air? a leak in the plumbing, commonly where the plumbing enters a jandy vavle seldom where it exits the jandy vavle, solution, quick and easy? Silicon around the area, long term, replumb! It is also plausable that you have an obstruction. ie vaccuuming the pool with out a device between the vaccuum and skimmer to catch large debris. debris sucked into the plumbing this way is often hung up in the jandy, but I assume that all of your jandy valves are rotating freely without resistance?