Help Removing Tank Lid, Pentai Clean And Clear

I recently got a Pentair basic Clean and Cleal filter cartridge system for my inground pool. The Tank lid lifts off from the top, it sits on the bottom/base of the unit like a plastic easter egg fits one side into the other, with a locking ring that secures the two parts. I have no trouble removing the locking ring but I am not strong enough to lift the top of the tank off of the bottom so that I can remove the filter. It does not screw off or anything, you are supposed to just lift straight up but it is so snug I cannot lift it up without someone stronger to wiggle it loose first. Does anyone familier with this setup have any suggestions, a tool perhaps or technique that will help me manage this? I don't want to hammer it loose or anything that will damage the pipes going into the base of the unit and I don't want to buy a whole new system!

Drain the tank first. It can be walked off then. When you are ready to close it, ensure the surfaces are clean and apply some Jack's Lube or Magic Lube to the O-ring.

Scott

If all else fails there is a last resort and not recommended method to get the lid off but it can be dangerous.

Release the pressure in the tank with the air release valve and leave it open

Loosen the locking ring completely

Stand back from the tank, flip the pump on and then off again very quickly. This will 'pop' the lid off the tank. Be aware that this CAN shoot the lid up in the air and it can become damaged when it hits the ground and that the lid can become a dangerous projectile that can cause bodily harm.

With all that being said, "Popping a lid" is not an uncommon procedure by service pros.

I have a Pentair Clean and Clear on my own pool and I know how difficult the lids are to remove. However, keeping the o-ring lubricated, releasing the pressure in the tank, and then draining the tank does make the lid easier to remove, as PoolGuyNJ said. Sometimes it can take 2 people, one to hold and support the tank, and a second to try and walk the lid off.

When you guys say "drain the tank" what do you mean? I am releasing the air out of the valve, and waiting until I hear all the water gurgling stop, I thought this was the water automatically draining itself? Is there another thing I should be doing?

I should probably mention that I am a small woman trying to lift this thing off, my husband has always taken care of our pool but recently passed away so I am determined to do it myself. I had to have all the equipment replaced this winter, it was about 15 years old and everything burst during the winter when my freeze guard could not always work when our dear electric company decided to start unannounced rolling blackouts. The off again/on again apparantly weakened everything so badly that it all cracked and burst. So now I have a whole new system which I really probably needed but I did not realize this filter case was so hard to remove. I will also try the lube thing, I was wondering about that.

Thanks!

When you guys say "drain the tank" what do you mean? I am releasing the air out of the valve, and waiting until I hear all the water gurgling stop, I thought this was the water automatically draining itself? Is there another thing I should be doing?

I should probably mention that I am a small woman trying to lift this thing off, my husband has always taken care of our pool but recently passed away so I am determined to do it myself. I had to have all the equipment replaced this winter, it was about 15 years old and everything burst during the winter when my freeze guard could not always work when our dear electric company decided to start unannounced rolling blackouts. The off again/on again apparantly weakened everything so badly that it all cracked and burst. So now I have a whole new system which I really probably needed but I did not realize this filter case was so hard to remove. I will also try the lube thing, I was wondering about that.

Thanks!

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the tank that unscrews. It is 1/4 way around from the water inlet and outlet. Just unscrew it and let the water drain (but close the valve to the skimmer and pool drain first or the filter will never empty until the pool does!) There is an o-ring on the plug that also should be lubed with silicone or teflon lube such as Magic Lube or Jack

s Lube from the pool supply store.

• 9 years later...

I can relate to everyone's frustration.  My husband and I are in our late 50's and each time we need to remove our lid it is stuck.  We have finally solved this problem!!  We each take a wide screwdriver (my husband says it is an industrial screwdriver - so it's pretty wide, not something you would use to turn and tighten a screw on a light switch cover).  My husband is on one side while I am on the other side of the lid.  Each works slowly and carefully wedging the screwdriver with a twisting up and down motion between the bottom and top of the filter system.  We do this while walking around the lid until it finally releases.  We had great success with this each time and don't have to fight for hours or most of all continue with a dirty cartridge in our pool.

I can relate to everyone's frustration.  My husband and I are in our late 50's and each time we need to remove our lid it is stuck.  We have finally solved this problem!!  We each take a wide screwdriver (my husband says it is an industrial screwdriver - so it's pretty wide, not something you would use to turn and tighten a screw on a light switch cover).  My husband is on one side while I am on the other side of the lid.  Each works slowly and carefully wedging the screwdriver with a twisting up and down motion between the bottom and top of the filter system.  We do this while walking around the lid until it finally releases.  We had great success with this each time and don't have to fight for hours or most of all continue with a dirty cartridge in our pool.

• 3 months later...