Reduce Pool Depth - Vinyl?

Hi all,

I have a 16 x 32 pool that has a very small shallow end and then has a steep drop off to 8'. I have kids, and really have no need for an 8" depth. I would like to reduce the depth to 5', and thereby reducing the steep slope and making the pool a bit safer.

I need to replace my vinyl liner this season, so I figure it might be a good time to address this. I have steel walls, and I'm fairly sure that the bottom of the pool is packed sand.

So is it just a matter of getting fine grade sand dumped, wet it down to help pack it further, roll it and shape it and then order my new liner?

We build up with pit run & granular A then finish with either Pool pad or masonry sand. If there is a chance of ground water then we start with crushed rock, 8 mil poly then substrate. You will also need a plate tamper to compact the substrate.

We build up with pit run & granular A then finish with either Pool pad or masonry sand. If there is a chance of ground water then we start with crushed rock, 8 mil poly then substrate. You will also need a plate tamper to compact the substrate.

Hey, thanks for the answer.

With your response, I'm assuming you don't dump these layers on top of sand already there? I don't want to turn it into an excavation project. Otherwise I'll leave it.

How deep is the sand usually laid, and would it be a problem for me to add 2 more feet of sand?

Or could I prevent issues by cutting away most of the liner, except the liner on the bottom of the pool (which is already packed and has been in place for 10+ years). And cut it up to the level I want to reduce the pool by. And then add sand into that space packing it. But it would pack more evenly and have a supportive barrier (like polymil) and would reduce movement due to it being help in a vinyl bowl essentiually.

Sounds like structural wise that might work - what do you think?

That bottom will be compacted enough that you can add right on top off it without excavation. We will only do a skim coat of sand, we wont use fine sand in any of the build up process as it compacts very poorly. We use Granular B(pitrun) for the majority of the build up then the final 8-12" is Granular A. Granular A is used up here for the base of roads & driveways as it has great compaction.