Where Can I Buy Clorox Bleach In Uk?

jacko64

You may want to contact Clorox directly (http://www.thecloroxcompany.com). On their website they list the UK as “Clorox headquarters or division office” and “Clorox manufacturing facilities (either Clorox owned or joint venture)” Therefore, I would expect it to be readily available. Good luck.

• 2 years later...

Hiya,

Thought i'd give this post a bump as i have the exact same question.

Any ideas if a supermarket stocks any bleach that would be suitable for hot tub.

Also what exactly should i look for on the bleach label, chemical name, % etc. Is there anything i definitely don't want to see on the label.

Thought i'd give the dichlor then bleach method a go as our cya levels had got way out of control, 150+. So new fill, new regime. Just trying to get ph level down at the minute cos we live in a very hard water area.

Many thanks for any help

I don't think you'll find Clorox in England. They are mostly in North and South America. In Europe, Purex Liquid chlorine (12.5%) is popular for use in swimming pools and could be used for spas as well instead of chlorine bleach. If you do find a chlorine bleach that appears to be 6% or anything substantially more than 3%, let us know.

Thanks, so if i find a bleach with say 3% on label then i would need to put in double the dosage?

Had a look on Tesco website & their value range bleach just says "contains less than 5% chlorine based bleaching agent disinfectant ( sodium hypochlorite)", it's 28p for 2 litres. Are most supermarket bleach labels that vague?

Just a bit nervous about using any old cheap bleach then finding out it's got some other ingredient in it & i shouldn't put it in the tub.

You definitely want to avoid bleaches that contain other chemicals such as thickeners. As for bleaches that are weaker, the main problem is that they may contain more excess lye in them which means that it will tend to make your pH rise, not only upon addition but even after chlorine usage/consumption. If you are able to find the pH of the bleach, see if you can find something closer to 11.5 (or below). Even 12.0 is OK, but 12.5 (or higher) is going to have you add more lye to your water than you'd want and will require you to add acid periodically in spite of having everything else balanced (i.e. low TA and 50 ppm Borates).

Thanks, so if i find a bleach with say 3% on label then i would need to put in double the dosage?

Had a look on Tesco website & their value range bleach just says "contains less than 5% chlorine based bleaching agent disinfectant ( sodium hypochlorite)", it's 28p for 2 litres. Are most supermarket bleach labels that vague?

Just a bit nervous about using any old cheap bleach then finding out it's got some other ingredient in it & i shouldn't put it in the tub.

I bought 25litres for £17.99 of 12% bleach from http://www.iscapoolcare.co.uk/disinfecting...em-SODH@10.aspx

Delivery was cheap as I live in Devon. With Chem geek's advice I diluted to 50% and very happy with the result.

Well i've got hold of some liquid chlorine, it came from www.aqua-poolsandleisure.co.uk.

It says its 4.7 - 4.9% sodium hypochlorite solution. 20litres for £12 + p & p.

Theres no other "ingredients" listed on the label. It looks quite yellow in the pot it came in but not so much when you pour it out.

Says it is suitable for pools & spas up to 15ft round. It's not a thick liquid.

Does this all sound o.k? I am just really nervous about putting something i haven't used before in the tub.

The tub is 410 gallons, so can i just use the pool calculator by adjusting bleach % to find out how much to add.

Thanks for all the advice, most appreciated.

BTW Just had our first snow of the winter, not much but a a covering on the ground, looking forward to hot tub dip tonight if it lasts.

Based on what you describe, it sounds OK to me. If it's good for pools, then it's good for spas as well (chlorinating liquid, that is).

• 11 years later...
On 12/10/2009 at 2:32 AM, chem geek said:

You definitely want to avoid bleaches that contain other chemicals such as thickeners. As for bleaches that are weaker, the main problem is that they may contain more excess lye in them which means that it will tend to make your pH rise, not only upon addition but even after chlorine usage/consumption. If you are able to find the pH of the bleach, see if you can find something closer to 11.5 (or below). Even 12.0 is OK, but 12.5 (or higher) is going to have you add more lye to your water than you'd want and will require you to add acid periodically in spite of having everything else balanced (i.e. low TA and 50 ppm Borates).

For the first time in 20 years of hot tuib ownership, I've got a Pseudomonas problem (itchy rash that gets better when I stay out of the hot tub and worsens after I've been in it). I've got a small tub leak, and neglected to rebalance after topping up, so the ph went much too high for about 3 months).

I'm going to follow the decontamination method, but since I can't source a bleach I can rely on in the UK, I'm planning to use a superdose of chlorine granules up to 200ppm, and I'm also planning to add algaecide at the same time as the swirl away enzyme (as suggested in Hot Water Productions pdf on cleansing to kill off Pseudomonas).

Chem geek - two questions:

• is 200ppm using granules a suitable alternative to Clorox?
  • can the algaecide go in with the swirl away enzyme, or will they stop each other working?

Thanks so much in advance. I love my hot tub, and I'm gutted it's making me ill. Doesn't seem to affect my son who uses the tub very occasionally, interestingly. I guess that's a combination of regularity in the tub (he's in twice a mionth, me twice a day) and a 16 year old immune system verses a 56 year old one.