Do We Need A New Cover?

sjt2900

We have a Sundance Chelsea spa and the straps on the cover are shot. They are pulling away from the main body of the cover. We bought the spa and cover at The Great Escape and they're telling us to make a drawing of the curve of the corners and measure the position of the straps and for $375 we can get a new covering that will slide over the existing ...whatever it is, foam or whatever that's inside the existing cover. Is this how it's done?

Under the vinyl is styrofoam wrapped in clear plastic. Many covers have a sheetmetal band around the thin edge to maintain rigidity. Some are also tapered so that the center near the folding hinge is thicker to allow water to drain off the cover. I've found that the foam absorbs water and often expands once the plastic or the foam cracks - good reason not to let the kids climb or sit on the cover. If you like in a snowy area be sure to not allow too much to accumulate or it will break the cover. Agree you will have a difficult time putting a new skin on your old foam. For that price you should be able to get a whole new cover. Measure the length, width, thickness and corner radius. With those numbers you can order a new cover. I've found that my local pool shops aren't always the cheapest but they will usually check your measurements and save you the hassle of shipping plus I like to support my local businesses.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. With that price and the whole idea of trying to get a new "skin" over the foam does not sound easy at all. I've been looking online and I've seen sites that charge that much for a whole new cover. I think I need to do some more research locally and online. Are there any recommended online sites? Thanks!.

You know, the only thing really wrong with the cover is the straps. They're pulling out and fraying. we always strap th cover down or else the wind blows it open. Any suggeations on repairing the straps?

For less than $30 you can get what you need from spadepot.com. Hurican Staps will fix you up just right. I have a set on my tub as I like to keep my cover tight to my uneven acrlyic shell. They are two long adjustable staps that have locking mechanism screwed to the skirt. They work great and are cheep at $20 a pair. Everywhere else is double that price.

We have a Sundance Chelsea spa and the straps on the cover are shot. They are pulling away from the main body of the cover. We bought the spa and cover at The Great Escape and they're telling us to make a drawing of the curve of the corners and measure the position of the straps and for $375 we can get a new covering that will slide over the existing ...whatever it is, foam or whatever that's inside the existing cover. Is this how it's done?

I agree with "Itchy and Scratchy" that the easiest fix would be the hurricane straps.

Alternatively, you could consider taking the cover to a marine canvas shop and having new straps sewn in.

If that will not work for the situation or environment, you should be able to replace the vinyl skin only for around $150 delivered.

• 2 weeks later...