3 Pounds Of D.e. Equals How Many Cups?

dogfriend

Hello-

I have a Hayward DE-2400 filter for my in-ground swimming pool.

I recently told Hayward tech. support: Your User's Guide calls for 3 pounds of D.E. for a clean filter. Since I don't have a calibrated scale near my pool or box of D.E. (like probably 99% of their customers), how many *cups* of D.E. and water should I use? Their answer: We don't know.

So, my question: How many *cups* of D.E. and water should I use (meaning: mix together in a bucket and pour into the skimmer) for a D.E. filter that the manufacturer says should be fed 3 pounds of D.E. with a clean filter?

Thanks-

Phoenix, Arizona

Go to your local pool store (not Walmart, please please support your local pool store, maybe not as cheap as Walmart, but go ahead and ask a Walmart employee how to take of your pool, you will get I dunno from them) and get a DE scoop, tell them your filter size and they will tell you how many scoops. BTW, Bio Guard (and other companies) sell a synthetic DE which will not cause cancer, I used it all last year and it was awesome, plus it last longer than regular DE, food for thought. Also, no need to mix your DE with water, just slowly add it to your skimming. Happy Swimming!

Or you could just buy a scale! I'm sure this may spark controversy, however volume and weight are not always the same with DE. Ok, try this, dump a bag of DE into a bucket, mark the top of the level. Then put the lid on and drive around with the DE in your car, When you get home, you'll notice the level has dropped. Food scales from wal-mart or target are inexpensive (less than $10.00) and you maybe suprised how handy it is to have one laying around.

Volleyballer. Cancer? I've heard of DE aggrevating COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and yes it can be hard on your lungs, but a carcinogen? Haven't heard that! Synthetic DE is available, it's usually a cellulose product. I have heard you can expect higher filter pressures with these products, but I haven't seen any literature saying that it filters to a lower microns. DE is simply pulverized fossilized plankton, and under a microscope it looks wicked, I don't recommend breathing it on a regular basis, nor do I suggest you take a whiff of your muriatic acid when you open the bottle to test it's potentcy!

Also, no need to mix your DE with water, just slowly add it to your skimming. Happy Swimming!

And the pool repair company will thank you when they come out to clear the obstruction in your plumbing!

MIX THE DE INTO A SLURRY FIRST AND THEN ADD IT SLOWLY TO THE SKIMMER!

If you get a "two pound coffee can", it will hold ONE pound of D.E. Hope this helps. I believe you can also get a D.E. scooper at your (local)pool store.

You might find something that bears a family resemblance to a "two pound" coffee can, but it won't actually have two pounds in it. A pool-store scoop is the only way to go, nowadays.

--paulr

If you get a "two pound coffee can", it will hold ONE pound of D.E. Hope this helps. I believe you can also get a D.E. scooper at your (local)pool store.

You might find something that bears a family resemblance to a "two pound" coffee can, but it won't actually have two pounds in it. A pool-store scoop is the only way to go, nowadays.

--paulr

You are right, a 2 pound coffee can wont hold 2 pounds of D.E. I didn't claim that it did!

Back before there were "scooper's" A 2 pound coffee can worked just fine, and it does hold ONE pound of D.E.

Nor did i say to find a can that "bears a family resemblance" It should be a coffee can as coffee is twice as heavy by volume as D.E.

You might find something that bears a family resemblance to a "two pound" coffee can, but it won't actually have two pounds {edit} of coffee {/edit} in it. A pool-store scoop is the only way to go, nowadays.

--paulr

You are right, a 2 pound coffee can wont hold 2 pounds of D.E. I didn't claim that it did!

Back before there were "scooper's" A 2 pound coffee can worked just fine, and it does hold ONE pound of D.E.

Nor did i say to find a can that "bears a family resemblance" It should be a coffee can as coffee is twice as heavy by volume as D.E.

You are right, you never claimed that a 2-lb coffee can won't hold 2 lb of D.E. I didn't claim that you did!

If you do have an aged 2-lb coffee can, it will hold 1 lb D.E. quite nicely.

Nor did I say to find a non-coffee can with a family resemblance; I was referring to modern largish coffee cans, which do bear a family resemblance to the 2-lb coffee can of yore, but they are smaller than 2lb.

Sheesh...

Sheesh is right! A D.E. scooper is the only way to go? OK so im guilty of not knowing how coffee is packaged today (not a drinker of it). So get yourself a 3 pound coffee can and use that for 1 1/2 pounds of D.E.X 2= 3lbs. Thats what the OP was asking for a measurement of anyway. Problem solved.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 months later...