Hotspring Led Repair Options

Hotsprung

I reported a fault with the green LED in the water feature on my 2010 Sovereign to the dealer last week. They attended today and have confirmed that the fault is with the LED rather than any control.

The rub is that the LED is not in the water feature but about 12" down inside the cabinet and access is difficult. They have given me 3 options:

1: Do nothing - not really an option to be honest;

2: Cut a small access hole in the side, effect the repair and replace the cutover with new "Everwood" or;

3: Take the whole side off the spa and effect the repair replacing the side of the spa in it's entirity.

The tub is less than a year old and not fixing it is not really an option. The small panel with look rubbish so the solution is to replace the whole side (if thats what I understood his option to be over the phone).

The dealer, who is first class, is happy to do what I want. So, my questions are:

1: Is taking the side off the spa a big issue?

2: Will the repair compromise the structure of the tub (am I setting myself up for a lifetime of related issues)?

3: Are the Everwood panels secured from the inside (will I end up with a row of screws in the replaced panels)?

4: The tub is outside but the side to be replaced doesn't get significant direct sunlight, will the replaced panels show up significantly?

I reported a fault with the green LED in the water feature on my 2010 Sovereign to the dealer last week. They attended today and have confirmed that the fault is with the LED rather than any control.

The rub is that the LED is not in the water feature but about 12" down inside the cabinet and access is difficult. They have given me 3 options:

2: Cut a small access hole in the side, effect the repair and replace the cutover with new "Everwood" or;

3: Take the whole side off the spa and effect the repair replacing the side of the spa in it's entirity.

The tub is less than a year old and not fixing it is not really an option. The small panel with look rubbish so the solution is to replace the whole side (if thats what I understood his option to be over the phone).

The dealer, who is first class, is happy to do what I want. So, my questions are:

2: Will the repair compromise the structure of the tub (am I setting myself up for a lifetime of related issues)?

3: Are the Everwood panels secured from the inside (will I end up with a row of screws in the replaced panels)?

4: The tub is outside but the side to be replaced doesn't get significant direct sunlight, will the replaced panels show up significantly?

1: Is taking the side off the spa a big issue? No.

2: Will the repair compromise the structure of the tub (am I setting myself up for a lifetime of related issues)? Not at all.

3: Are the Everwood panels secured from the inside (will I end up with a row of screws in the replaced panels)? One end goes under the shell lip so its secured that way, the back side glued and possibly a staple "toe-nailed" from the bottom would be my guess to how they'd attach it.

4: The tub is outside but the side to be replaced doesn't get significant direct sunlight, will the replaced panels show up significantly? I don't think it's like carpet where there is a different "die lot" but your original may be sun faded to where the new slat shows brighter but the sun will eventually catch it up to the others if thats the case and it shouldn't be significant with this being a 2010.

Of course when they gave the "do nothing" option, being that I wouldn't lose to much sleep over one color being out I would have replied "What will my compensation be for skipping the fix".

Its funny they didn't give the option of tipping the spa up and going through the foam from the bottom to facilitate the repair? Seems this would be an easy fix also?

Its funny they didn't give the option of tipping the spa up and going through the foam from the bottom to facilitate the repair? Seems this would be an easy fix also?

Funny, I did think that but assumed there was a good reason. Thanks for your feedback both.

Funny, I did think that but assumed there was a good reason. Thanks for your feedback both.

Going through the bottom not a good option, imo. The workable area between the spa shell, and cabinet at that area is only a few inches at the top, and several feet deep- like working in a very skinny cave. You can't get your hands on anything, and you can't really see what you're doing. I don't know it that would be possible or not.

Is this the waterfall feature light, or the "bella fontana" -triple fountain light?

The toughest part of removing the cabinet (assuming the entire panel isn't meant to be removed) on your spa is that the spa is so new. The tongue and groove portions are essentially hot-glued, or siliconed together, and getting a tongue out of a groove, without damaging the next board, borders on impossible, when the tubs are factory fresh. Give them a few years of weather, and the job becomes much easier. Even with the right parts, and right tools, it's not easy to replace slats, and have it be as stable, or look as good, as it came from the factory. Most people wouldn't notice any difference, but if you're wanting it to be *exactly* like it was before, you might notice slight imperfections in the cabinet repair. Id be more inclined to have the entire panel replaced.

Or, if the light isn't a big deal, a hundred or two's worth of chemicals or something as compensation.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to let it go and talk about compensation. I don't tend use the water feature and if I do, its not on Green or yellow. I guess having spent so much on the tub in the first place I really want it working as it should. I suspect I'll talk the the dealer and come to an arrangement!

We had an issue once with a customer's Master Spa where one fiber optic strand was not working properly. Even though a Master Spas is built to be accessed from any side at any time without cutting holes, we couldn't seem to fix this one darn Fiber optic light. The factory REPLACED THE WHOLE SPA!!!! Perhaps you should suggest this to your dealer?

We had an issue once with a customer's Master Spa where one fiber optic strand was not working properly. Even though a Master Spas is built to be accessed from any side at any time without cutting holes, we couldn't seem to fix this one darn Fiber optic light. The factory REPLACED THE WHOLE SPA!!!! Perhaps you should suggest this to your dealer?

Really? I think it might be a little early in the process to request a replacement spa for a simple failure mode. Its not rocket science, maybe the dealer will have more luck than you did to replace a light or a cable.

One fiber optic light was dimmer than all the rest, and it bugged the customer. Not a matter of replacing a light or a cable because fiber optics work differently, "spa tech." This was ten years ago. Hot Spring still used the big flood light bulb at the time.

Surely the self proclaimed best manufacturer with the self proclaimed best customer service with the self proclaimed best built hot tubs with the self proclaimed best dealers can come up with a better solution than "living with it" or cutting the tub open???

Unfortunately, the continuous cabinet design of the Hot Spring leaves no access to anything without major surgery. And when the cabinet does get cut off, lets not forget the foam that will have to be dug out to find the problematic LED or cable.

One fiber optic light was dimmer than all the rest, and it bugged the customer. Not a matter of replacing a light or a cable because fiber optics work differently, "spa tech." This was ten years ago. Hot Spring still used the big flood light bulb at the time.

Surely the self proclaimed best manufacturer with the self proclaimed best customer service with the self proclaimed best built hot tubs with the self proclaimed best dealers can come up with a better solution than "living with it" or cutting the tub open???

Unfortunately, the continuous cabinet design of the Hot Spring leaves no access to anything without major surgery. And when the cabinet does get cut off, lets not forget the foam that will have to be dug out to find the problematic LED or cable.

10 years ago (2001), HotSpring lights had small LED circuit boards. I have never needed to replace 1 of those lights, nevermind the whole spa due to a light problem.

Also, as a service tech, I much prefer those older bulbs that they used in the early 90's to any of the newer light systems on any tub today.

I had a 1992 Prodigy until last year and replaced the bulb twice.

You are missing the point! Does the customer want their brand new spa deconstructed in their backyard? Of course not. Replace the spa at no cost to the customer and fix the other spa elsewhere. Maybe Hot Spring Spas should make it easier to fix a $5 part. Just a thought.

You are missing the point! Does the customer want their brand new spa deconstructed in their backyard? Of course not. Replace the spa at no cost to the customer and fix the other spa elsewhere. Maybe Hot Spring Spas should make it easier to fix a $5 part. Just a thought.

I'm not missing the point because I wasn't really commenting on that. I was commenting on your misinformation and dig at HotSpring insinuating that they had out-dated technology compared to Master Spa 10 years ago.

Actually, if the dealer or customer pushes enough the repair can be done off site. Pick it up, repair it 100%, and redeliver the spa. It happens a lot. Sounds like the dealer may be trying to blow off the repair due to the difficulty, and yes, I agree that it should be easier to fix. It may be easy though...I haven't needed to repair any of these, so I don't know. I'll have to check to see if the sides come off of the 2010 Sovereigns like they do on most of the models from 2004 and up.

If so then it merely requires removing 3 small screws from an "L" bracket at the base, then pull out on the side and it comes off. Not too hard.

It was a great day! Thanks for asking!

Hotsprung says that his dealer is first class. There is clearly a downside to any repair, thus the offer to leave it as-is.

Not a lot of first class Master dealers so you probably don't hear that much.

I have a 2010 HS Vanguard and 8 months ago had one of the cup holder lights repaired. It worked for a week. Now the only additional lights that work correctly are the pillow lights--all the rest of the lights are either the wrong color or partially lit. My dealer is a not at all helpful (there is a 40.00 "service fee" for warrantee work) and my tub is sunk in a deck and only has access to the front panel. I live with mine--but it does tick me off from time to time.

Funny that a company with the reputation of Hot Spring Spas would not have a better solution to fix an LED light. Bottom line...it is a bad idea to bury serviceable parts behind a bunch of foam and wood without an EASILY REMOVABLE access panel. Just asking for trouble in my opinion...

• 1 month later...

Funny that a company with the reputation of Hot Spring Spas would not have a better solution to fix an LED light. Bottom line...it is a bad idea to bury serviceable parts behind a bunch of foam and wood without an EASILY REMOVABLE access panel. Just asking for trouble in my opinion...

The sides do easily remove on that tub. The fact that it is sunk into a deck is the problem.

I'd have them pull the panel and do the repair the right way, even if they have to replace the side panel. Cutting a hole in the side or do nothing? Really? You paid top dollar for a premium spa. Demand premium service to back it up! I have a single screwy LED on my 2010 Grandee, but it's behind one of the MotoMassage units, so it's relatively easy to get to. I think the BellaFontana LEDs are likely the toughest to get too. Warranty on lighting is for 2 years, so you could wait a bit longer, if you really wanted, but don't let the tub fall out of warrant without having them make the repair.

• 7 years later...

My Cover Cradle broke off my 2005 Hot Springs Accolade Spa this past winter 2019 when the water saturated cover became too heavy.

I removed the damaged Everwood Slats.  I cleaned up the mounting area- removed staples and scraped off adhesive.  I put wood panels in between the vertical pine frames with Liquid Nails to allow a solid base to later remount the repeated Cradle.  Most of the screws went thu the panels to air I noted.

BackYard Plus (Wonderful Staff) sent me new Slats but still waiting for one final back ordered one.  Watkins does not provide “pre milled slats for the horizontal placement ones that slip under the vertical slats-(their factory stapled)

My neighbor used his table saw to rabbit out the left and right sides close to the factory type.

I pre drilled two holes on each side and beveled out the holes to receive stainless screws.

I applied Liquid nails to each horizontal slat and lining them up carefully screwed each one in using I Phone photos I took prior for checking placement.

Then I set in the vertical slats minus the one I’m waiting on and putting a weight against them while the adhesive set up.

It’s takes weeks and  lots of research and patience and my friends to repair this but we’re almost done.

I had Grey Duct Tape holding it together thru the winter.  I used WD 40 to get the tape residue off.

I need a new cover but when I mount the Repaired Cradle it will be super strong.    See photos.

8951D1D9-87F9-4757-A6CF-53FC8096B3F5.jpeg

FB0021DB-D60E-46DC-9BB2-6F29EBDA062E.jpeg

8CE40A72-6DE8-49B9-B2B9-915444065E30.jpeg

83402C1A-A39A-4CB0-85EF-56A483334BB0.jpeg

2C9E6191-AAA3-494E-B818-493D8BA6DE7F.jpeg

8B1A81A8-17BF-419D-9074-D05F5619166D.jpeg

33600792-5559-446B-BBC3-8746CE700DEC.png