Tub Is Actually Too Hot!

Scrufnut

I own a 2002 Tiger River "Bengal". Today we are experiencing a condition where the water temperature has actually overshot the "set" temperature by 3+ degrees. Its been two months since changing the water so its not like its heating it from cold water. Normally keep the tub at 103 in the winter. Since the temperature indicator light was out, I starting stepping the temp setting up until the light came on; it did so at 104 (being the low end). The light stays on for 5 steps of the temp setting, so that meant the water was at ~106 (being the mid-point).

I've read plenty of articles where there was no heat,nothing yet for too much heat. Anyone have any ideas?

Jake, while some Hot Springs might run hot, that's not this issue. By using the "ready light" indicator to asses the current temp, he ruled out a thermistor out of calibration. He could turn it down to 80, and the spa wouldn't cool. I uses this line often in S Florida, as this issue is prevalent in this tropical climate with several well insulated models... "The spa doesn't come with an air conditioner."

The ready light uses the same thermistor to energize the heater to tell you the temp of the spa. If it's not lighting until several degrees above the set temp- it wasn't the heater that got it so hot.

In fact, this is the very reason for the existence of "summer mode" on these spas. Left unattended, in warmer climates, the spa can reach upwards of 110F, without the heater ever coming on.

If his ready light was staying lit, and was actually warmer than the set temp as well, then turning it down would be a great solution. But the fact that the thermistors are working is a pretty good indicator that turning it down probably won't help, unless he vents it also.

Jake, while some Hot Springs might run hot, that's not this issue. By using the "ready light" indicator to asses the current temp, he ruled out a thermistor out of calibration. He could turn it down to 80, and the spa wouldn't cool. I uses this line often in S Florida, as this issue is prevalent in this tropical climate with several well insulated models... "The spa doesn't come with an air conditioner."

The ready light uses the same thermistor to energize the heater to tell you the temp of the spa. If it's not lighting until several degrees above the set temp- it wasn't the heater that got it so hot.

In fact, this is the very reason for the existence of "summer mode" on these spas. Left unattended, in warmer climates, the spa can reach upwards of 110F, without the heater ever coming on.

If his ready light was staying lit, and was actually warmer than the set temp as well, then turning it down would be a great solution. But the fact that the thermistors are working is a pretty good indicator that turning it down probably won't help, unless he vents it also.

PreservedSwine,

Thanks for your response. I live in VA and we haven't gotten to the point where day/night temps are affecting the tub temperatures. It's usually in July/August when we open the tub up at night to cool down.

Actually it is the heater that's getting it hot, with the thermostat set to 103, the water temp at 106, heated water was still coming from the floor port.

Looking at all the other responses, I have had this tub for 9 years and my thermostat has been very accurate, plus I measure it against an electronnic thermometer.

I was thinking that either the thermister or the tub's control board has a problem. I am out of town this week so have shut off power to the heater so as not to cause further damage. When I return, I will completely shut down power in hopes of maybe resetting the control board if its hung up in anyway.

Any other thoughts?

PreservedSwine,

Thanks for your response. I live in VA and we haven't gotten to the point where day/night temps are affecting the tub temperatures. It's usually in July/August when we open the tub up at night to cool down.

Actually it is the heater that's getting it hot, with the thermostat set to 103, the water temp at 106, heated water was still coming from the floor port.

Looking at all the other responses, I have had this tub for 9 years and my thermostat has been very accurate, plus I measure it against an electronnic thermometer.

I was thinking that either the thermister or the tub's control board has a problem. I am out of town this week so have shut off power to the heater so as not to cause further damage. When I return, I will completely shut down power in hopes of maybe resetting the control board if its hung up in anyway.

Any other thoughts?

Scenario: The actual spa water temp was 106. The "ready" lights up at 104 (and stays lit UE1-UE4), but was not illuminated while at the set temp of 103, or lower?

Do I understand you correctly?

It sounds as though the thermistor is working- it's accurately observing the temp of the water as roughly 106, and the electronic thermostat is properly calibrated to interpret the thermistor readings as roughly 106.

If you had a bad thermistor, (one that say... interpreted 103 as 106), then your "ready light" would be happily glowing while set at 103, even though the actual temp was 106. Yours does not. It still interprets 106 as... 106.

I've seen a few "stuck" heater relays, but they don't run a "little" warm. They heat until they trip the high limit. Are you 100% certain the heater is energized, while the spa is set at a temp *lower* than the thermostat registers? That's a potentially dangerous problem.