Frustrated !

alan1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I have to add that not ALL dealers and builders are like this but the ones that are not are in the minority! There is a reason why...chemical sales can be lucrative (and for many pool/spa supply stores their MAIN income) so it really is against the dealer's bottom line to balance your water and make it as maintenance free as possible since you won't be coming in regularly. Why do you think dealers love guess strips (test strips) and tell you that you have no need for a test kit like the Taylor K-2006?

My main income is for repairs, those people that were not told, or refused to do proper water chemistry always have things breaking on their tub. we did a customer yesterday, we do him every year, replace his pump seals, replace broken jets and a heater. His water chemistry is to pour pool chlorine in when the water looks or smells bad. We tell him every year and write on his bill that he is not keeping his water chemistry correctly which is what is breaking the tub, but he wont change, so his "cheap" way to clean the tub is costing him hundreds of extra dollars.

I like being in the minority of those dealers, it gets me many, many more customers, which over time makes me more money than those right now chemical sales. the always come back for their accessories, repairs and new tubs when they get to that point. More dealers need to learn that IMO.

Now, I have to add that not ALL dealers and builders are like this but the ones that are not are in the minority! There is a reason why...chemical sales can be lucrative (and for many pool/spa supply stores their MAIN income) so it really is against the dealer's bottom line to balance your water and make it as maintenance free as possible since you won't be coming in regularly. Why do you think dealers love guess strips (test strips) and tell you that you have no need for a test kit like the Taylor K-2006?

My main income is for repairs, those people that were not told, or refused to do proper water chemistry always have things breaking on their tub. we did a customer yesterday, we do him every year, replace his pump seals, replace broken jets and a heater. His water chemistry is to pour pool chlorine in when the water looks or smells bad. We tell him every year and write on his bill that he is not keeping his water chemistry correctly which is what is breaking the tub, but he wont change, so his "cheap" way to clean the tub is costing him hundreds of extra dollars.

I like being in the minority of those dealers, it gets me many, many more customers, which over time makes me more money than those right now chemical sales. the always come back for their accessories, repairs and new tubs when they get to that point. More dealers need to learn that IMO.

Truer words were never spoken!

• 2 weeks later...

Let me start out by saying that, after discovering this site, I am following the 3-step bromine process on my Marquis and it seems to be working fine for me.

That said, I owned a Sundance spa for over 20 years and never put anything in it except bromine tablets in the floating tray at the filter inlet. That was it! I never tested the water for bromine, ph or anything. If the tray was empty, I'd throw a few bromine tabs in it. I was told when I bought it to drain/clean/polish (with car wax) every six months - so, that's the regimen I followed. Granted that the spa wasn't heavily used. But, our family did use it and we never had any rashes, bad smells, etc. in its lifetime. In hindsight, we were probably very lucky. I got over 20 years out of it before it died and started losing water. It begs to wonder how much longer it might have lasted if properly maintained.

High quality spa, plus 20 years ago, metals/plastics etc. were made much different, lasted much better. Luck is the word, PH is very important in keeping the spa "parts" in good shape, plus "bugs and germs" are more resistant to sanitizers now, so that has been becoming increasingly important. I think you are doing the right thing now, don't push your "luck"!

High quality spa, plus 20 years ago, metals/plastics etc. were made much different, lasted much better. Luck is the word, PH is very important in keeping the spa "parts" in good shape, plus "bugs and germs" are more resistant to sanitizers now, so that has been becoming increasingly important. I think you are doing the right thing now, don't push your "luck"!

TRUE THAT!