Confused About Pumps

My husband and I was giving an oval 20 x 12 x 48 intex pool. The pump on it though is horriable. Last year i struggled so much to keep the water looking good and the floor of it vacumed. The pump itself is the one that came with it. It hardly has any suction to it, not even the vacumme it came with can work with it. What kind of a pump do i need to replace it that is good quality, but not break the bank expensive. I have heard of sandfilters needed. But yet that adds more confusion to me. I live in a small town where there is literally no pool or spa place to ask about this. Please help. Thanks.

Hi Squeekers,

I'm sorry you are having troubles with your pool pump. Your current pump lid might need to be tightened to help with the suction. Possibly the pump has a closed face impeller or debris has clogged the impeller. It could also need a new o-ring or to be cleaned.

Your pump could also just be old and worn out. In this case, there are good inexpensive pumps out there from brands like Hayward and Clear-Tek. I understand that it would be a bit frustrating to not have a pool supply store in town. Doheny's Water Warehouse has an 800 number you can call to speak with someone for more information on the best pool pumps for your pool and budget. Here is their Toll free # 1.866-364-3697

Hope this helps!

The filters that are supplied with those pools recommend that you change, not clean, the filter element every couple of weeks. A dirty/clogged filter element will produce the weak suction you are experiencing. Temporarily remove the element from the filter and run the pump to see if suction improves.

Note: That is to test only for flow, and you should not run it that way for any length of time.