Caldera Spa Kauai High Limit Sensor Help

airdough

Hi, I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out. I just bought a used Caldera Spa Kauai. I had an electrician hook it up, and it fired up on the first try. The jets turned on and I set the temp to 104. After about 10 mins, the spa shut off and started blinking 4 dashed lines. The manual indicated that this means there is a high limit sensor issue and to turn off power and restart after 30 seconds. I did this and the dashing lines came back on and the jets would no longer work. I then turned off power and disconnected the heater at the circuit board. Turned the spa back on and the jets were running and the water was circulating. I then reconnected the heater and the TEMP indicator began to flash. I adjusted the pressure switch and the heater kicked on and the water appeared to be cirulating. Everything seemed to be ok, but then the spa shut off again after about 10 mins and the 4 flashing lines showed up again indicating a high limit sensor issue. I am lost at this point. Could the heater be bad or the high limit switch? Any help is appreciated.

Hi, I am new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out. I just bought a used Caldera Spa Kauai. I had an electrician hook it up, and it fired up on the first try. The jets turned on and I set the temp to 104. After about 10 mins, the spa shut off and started blinking 4 dashed lines. The manual indicated that this means there is a high limit sensor issue and to turn off power and restart after 30 seconds. I did this and the dashing lines came back on and the jets would no longer work. I then turned off power and disconnected the heater at the circuit board. Turned the spa back on and the jets were running and the water was circulating. I then reconnected the heater and the TEMP indicator began to flash. I adjusted the pressure switch and the heater kicked on and the water appeared to be cirulating. Everything seemed to be ok, but then the spa shut off again after about 10 mins and the 4 flashing lines showed up again indicating a high limit sensor issue. I am lost at this point. Could the heater be bad or the high limit switch? Any help is appreciated.

The watchdog error on this tub is usually a result of inadequate water flow through the heater circuit. It needs about 10 to 12 GPM. If it ran fine with the heater disconnected, I doubt you have a bad sensor.

John

The watchdog error on this tub is usually a result of inadequate water flow through the heater circuit. It needs about 10 to 12 GPM. If it ran fine with the heater disconnected, I doubt you have a bad sensor.

John

So do you think the heater element might be restricting the flow, maybe corrosion or something?

John

So do you think the heater element might be restricting the flow, maybe corrosion or something?

Yes...first make sure that there is a strong flow out of the small jet below the seat where it comes back into the tub. Take the filter out and see if that changes anything.

If you are still having problems then yes, I have seen the heaters clog up with residue. In most cases the customer was using high amounts of calcium hypochlorite as their sanitizer. The calcium builds up and solidifies in there. I've taken them out and blown through them with a compressor.

When you start it up do you get small amounts of flakes or water mold coming out of the return jet?

• 8 months later...

Regarding the 4 dashes on the Caldera Spa display, I believe I have found the reason. My spa produced the same 4 dash error and I let the filter soak in 1.25 cups of TSP, Tri sodium phosphate in a 7 gallon bucket over night. The water turned almost brown even though the filter was very white looking prior to that cleaning! I am pretty sure that body oils clogged the filter and restricted water flow causing a shut down! Now after a week, there has been no shut down or 4 dash error! Yay!

drof2th@aol.com

• 4 months later...

I realize the last post here was about 5 months ago, but I am having a very similar issue with a BRAND NEW Kauai.

Upon the first power-up, the jets failed to start and the dashes came up. I was on the phone with tech support, who tried to help me troubleshoot this and concluded that it was either the High Limit Sensor or the control box itself.

I have been waiting for their service to come to my home to fix it, but they haven't yet (a whole other story and one that I would caution anyone in Long Island, New York to avoid the dealer for the sole reason that their service department is horrible.)... anyway...

According to these posts I've read, the issue was with tubs that had been operating for some time, or used, and that the issue was flow through the sensor (ie, clogging due to debri, deposits, etc)... But this is a NEW tub, and that makes me wonder... if it really IS new.

Just thinking out loud. Anyone hear?

I agree...the elements on these tubs shouldnt overheat unless the flow is inadequate. Chances are, if you got it used, it was negelected for a while. I would soak or replace the filter cartridge before doing anything else. If you are getting a flow at all out the heater port inside the tub you probably dont have air in the lines. If your circulating pump has failed, you would feel not flow at the outlet port and hear or feel nothing on the motor itself. I doubt its the heater board if it heats at all...and I doubt its the control board if you get a display at all. Just out of curiosity...did you purge all lines?

Every time I refill my Kauai, I have to burp the air out of the jet pump. Just loosen the hose clamp on the pump inlet, loosen the hose, and let the air out.

Dave

• 5 years later...
On 5/15/2012 at 3:04 PM, Dnepr Dave said:

Every time I refill my Kauai, I have to burp the air out of the jet pump. Just loosen the hose clamp on the pump inlet, loosen the hose, and let the air out.

Dave

Hi, Dave,

What are the symptoms with air in the jet pump?

jack vines

Jack,

The pump doesn't pump. There has to be water in the pump for it to work, if it is full of air, the impeller just spins without doing any work.