Fiberglass popping out of ground

Guest Pete

We had our Fiberglass pool installed June 1, 2005. On October 12 at 2am in the morning the pool popped out of the ground. We heard a loud nice, the concrete cracking and out came the pool. We contacted POOL DESIGN in Yardley, NJ and even though the pool is still under warranty, they informed us, that it was our fault this happened, and that they wouldn't be responsible for the repairs. POOL DESIGN has been a nightmare to deal with from beginning until end and I wanted to make everybody aware of this place. They will take your Cash Money and leave after the pool is put in the ground. None of the contractors showed up when they were supposed to and phone calls to Pool Designs were hardly ever returned.

We were getting to close our pool for the winter and lowered the water level jsut below the skimmer, as instructed. Now we are getting blamed, for this pool coming out of the ground! It's unbelievable!! We were also told, that this has never happened to anyone!?!? Sure!!

What do you suggest our next step should be!? Any help is appreciated!!!!

Has anyone had any experience with fiberglass pools popping out of the ground? All the fiberglass pool companies say that it is not possible. Well, from personal experieince IT IS POSSIBLE and we are suffering with it now. We had a Blue Dolphin fiberglass pool professionally installed 5 years ago. Have been very pleased up to now, but significant rain two weeks ago popped the pool out of the ground about 8 inches. The pool was FULL OF WATER to the normal water line when it occured. The installer is no longer in business, and we can't seem to locate the who the "parent" Blue Dolphin Fiberglass pool company is. (There are so many companies that use that name.) Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, the same thing happened to us a couple of days ago. Now POOL DESIGN of New Jersey does not want to repair the problem. They said it was our fault! Nevermind the fact, that when they put the pool in, they never back filled it right and when stepping in the pool you could hear a hollow sound coming from under the pool. This probably contributed to the pool coming up from under the ground!!!! We are going to fight and sue them if necessary! Do not use POOL DESIGN of NJ, they will take your money and run!!!!!!

We had our Fiberglass pool installed June 1, 2005. On October 12 at 2am in the morning the pool popped out of the ground. We heard a loud nice, the concrete cracking and out came the pool. We contacted POOL DESIGN in Yardley, NJ and even though the pool is still under warranty, they informed us, that it was our fault this happened, and that they wouldn't be responsible for the repairs. POOL DESIGN has been a nightmare to deal with from beginning until end and I wanted to make everybody aware of this place. They will take your Cash Money and leave after the pool is put in the ground. None of the contractors showed up when they were supposed to and phone calls to Pool Designs were hardly ever returned.

We were getting to close our pool for the winter and lowered the water level jsut below the skimmer, as instructed. Now we are getting blamed, for this pool coming out of the ground! It's unbelievable!! We were also told, that this has never happened to anyone!?!? Sure!!

On October 12th 2005 we received a call that the pool had popped out of the ground. When we spoke to the customer, they stated that they took 25% of the water out of the pool to prepare for closing. During the discussion the customer was reminded that he was not supposed to take 25% of the water out of the pool. We immediately responded and went to the home that afternoon. As we inspected the pool we indeed found that the pool had been drained of 25% of the water. At the time of sale and installation, all customers are informed that they are not to take any water out of the pool. If for any reason water needed to be drained they should contact a pool professional.

On October 14th we spoke to them informing them that we were not responsible for the pool popping out of the ground because they had removed too much water from the pool.

On October 18th we spoke to them and they agreed to pay for the pool to be re-installed and have new concrete laid..

In all cases, any in-ground pool should never be drained more then 2'' below the skimmer of the pool. If an in-ground pool needs to be drained beyond this amount, it should be done by a pool porfessional.

If the pool was correctly installed, there will be an access cover on the deep end of the pool near the skimmer that will allow you to drop a 7" diameter sump pump in. These size pumps generally hook up to a standard garden hose. If it was installed correctly it will be at least 12" deeper than the deepest point of the pool. Plug the pump in and continue to run the pump until it has stopped. Be sure to leave the pump on while the pool is empty. If there is not any groundwater under the pool shell it will not pop out. If the pool builder did not install a sump crock system you will have to install a well point.

• 8 months later...

We just had a fiberglass pool installed and large spots are appearing on the pool floor and along the sides of the pool. It is not algae. Hawaiian Pools in Pinellas did the install. Nothing but problems and poor workmanship. This pool has not yet passed final inspection. Anybody else out there with problems by Hawaiian?

HAWAIIAN POOLS OF PINELLAS

I have seen alot of things, but never have I dealt with a company like Hawaiian Pools of Pinellas.

Let me tell you my experience, and about the pool installation as it stands as of today.

My wife and I met with the Rep. from HFPP back in early March. We also met with about 5 others as well.

So on March 30th, 2006, we signed a contract for HFPP to install a pool. In the signing of the contract, we were promised some things, including 8 therapy jets, free hayward navigator cleaner, fountain for in the pool, and the agreement that we may take the paver decking part of the contract out at any time. We were also promised that we would have a pool by May 15th of this year.

As it turned out after 2 months of nothing, calls not being returned, and no one talking to us, I took it upon myself to start bugging them about the process. So I went to the office, and demanded to find out what was going on with the pool. They still hadnt even gotten a permit yet. The Rep. had been fired. So at the same time, I wanted to take the pavers out of the contract. So, they sent another person out to redo the contract. As it turns out, the origional paver cost was given to us as $6140, and the coping as $1700.

The new Rep. told us that he cannot give us that, or take that much out of the contract. So he gave us a total of $6800. In that figure, he also took out the footer for $680. In the conversation he also informed us that we are only getting 4 therapy jets! And we should not be getting the cleaner and fountain in the cost. But he agreed to them.

Mid June, our fiberglass pool was installed. The day of the dig, the foreman on the job was running around my house on a Bobcat loading dirt and doing wheelies, and slamming the back of the cat on the concrete driveway, and broke the driveway to the tune of a splinter break running 5 different ways.

I also asked to keep at least 20 yards of dirt at the house for future use. I was only left about 8, and now the back yard is too low. They hauled the rest away.

This brings me to the pool set. I was asked where I wanted the pool set. So I told them I wanted the top of the coping edge (at the pool) to be level with the threshold on the french doors. And the pavers to be no less than an inch and a half below the doorway. (At the door). Perfectly clear about this!

When they set the pool they set the beam (top of fiberglass), even with the doorway. Now when I go and add 2 3/8" pavers at the pools edge, and slope the 6 foot to the house, I will be walking downhill 5 inches in 6 foot. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!

This company is not registered with the better business bureau by the way. And have several complaints against them that are public record.

The day of the pool set they also require you to pay what will be 80% of the contract, adding the deposit.

In my case, this total was about 20K.

After I gave them all this money, they did not show back up for a week and a half. The foreman told me the day of the set, that they should be done the following week, then the concrete would be done, and we were finished. As it stands now, the pool has turned green once already, and they came out and shocked it.

No pump, the pool light is floating in the pool, there is debris all over the place. And by the way they also tore up the neighbors irrigation system.

Still not sure what to do about the elevation, Im even considering thin pavers.

If your considering a pool, take this word of advise. PICTURES< PICTURES!!!!!! And dont let to much happen without being there to watch. READ the contract. They think they are slick by putting in little things like they are not responsible for driveways, sidewalks, and other damage. But that does not give them a liscense for negligent, careless, and abusive practices in the installation process.

Another thing, Never pay the contract in full until you are completely satisfied with the process and all damage or cost to you have been taken care of. They will want you to pay the day of the concrete pour, or they wont pour. Well, the jobs not done either.

My ADVISE!!!!!!USE SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duane Cole

• 3 months later...

In another post a person mention a sump pump. I read in another web site on how to install a fiber glass pool. In it said once the hole is finished one must dig a 4x6x1 foot hole in the deep end install a 2" pvc pipe and cap it off. drill holes in the pipe the entire langth of the 6 foot hole. Cover the pipe with gravel and place a weed fabric over the gravel to keep the sand from cloging the gravel. have the other end of the pipe lead out to a pump. I thought why not just out to a hole out from under the pool bottom to a barrel or a large dia pipe so you can drop a sump pump down to drain the water out when it riase high anoff to trigger the pump. As for those that had their pool pop out of the ground Im sorry but still have to re set-it again with another installer for I dont belive it is a do it your self deal.

• 2 months later...

In another post a person mention a sump pump. I read in another web site on how to install a fiber glass pool. In it said once the hole is finished one must dig a 4x6x1 foot hole in the deep end install a 2" pvc pipe and cap it off. drill holes in the pipe the entire langth of the 6 foot hole. Cover the pipe with gravel and place a weed fabric over the gravel to keep the sand from cloging the gravel. have the other end of the pipe lead out to a pump. I thought why not just out to a hole out from under the pool bottom to a barrel or a large dia pipe so you can drop a sump pump down to drain the water out when it riase high anoff to trigger the pump. As for those that had their pool pop out of the ground Im sorry but still have to re set-it again with another installer for I dont belive it is a do it your self deal.

on water jobs (high risk of ground water) we install weep lines and the aforementioned hydrostatic relief valves in the botton. the weep lines go under the pool and come up out of the ground in the filter area. when we need to drain one of these high risk pools, we bring an extra pool pump, hook it up to pipes and run it for the duration of the work being done.

To pop a pool that has hydrostats, unless you have a serious water condition (like living right on the water) is hard to do. you would really have to work on it. We routinely drain pools for winterizing 18-20" and have never popped one out of the ground doing this. this may have to do with the soil conditions in our area and we also don't drain anything after protracted periods of rain.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone had any experience with fiberglass pools popping out of the ground? All the fiberglass pool companies say that it is not possible. Well, from personal experieince IT IS POSSIBLE and we are suffering with it now. We had a Blue Dolphin fiberglass pool professionally installed 5 years ago. Have been very pleased up to now, but significant rain two weeks ago popped the pool out of the ground about 8 inches. The pool was FULL OF WATER to the normal water line when it occured. The installer is no longer in business, and we can't seem to locate the who the "parent" Blue Dolphin Fiberglass pool company is. (There are so many companies that use that name.) Anyone have any suggestions?

not only is it possible i watched it happen in my backyard. i had a fiberglass pool installed in my backyard in the summer of 1998. it took the pool installer all summer to install it so it was not used by my family that year at all. the instalation was compleated and the pool was closed for the winter. the next spring it was opened and used by my 4 sons. everything seemed fine except i had to add water to my pool with water almost everyday. the pool company was contacted they came out and told me it was because of the splashing of the water by my 4 sons. i told him i had to put water in my pool even on days that my sons did not swim in it. he told me not to worry. the pool was closed that fall by the same pool company that installed it. the spring of 2000 the same pool company again was called to open it but i was bumped twice on my opening so the crew could open friends of the owner of the pool company. i hired a 2nd pool company to open my pool and 1 week later my pool was 18" out of the ground. i called both pool companys and they both told me it was the other guys fault. so 5 years later and many court apperances i finally won. my advice to anyone that is looking at a fiberglass pool don't do it. i had it replaced with a gunite pool and it is a better quality pool and i am much happier with this one than the fiberglass pool.

sue sue sue my fiberglass pool popped out of the ground and that what i did. but first let me tell you be prepared to spend lots and lots of money, have lots of time more than you can imagine, and put a strain on your job and family, almost put you into bankrupcy, five years of my life and just receive enough money to cover the cost of replacement. be prepaired

• 1 month later...

I'm sure we had the same guy install our pools, my man Vince (215.663.9111, now disconnected).... He's vanished, not surprisingly. When I engaged him I ignored the warning signs — people hounding him and a couple lawsuits.... I've since had to have the spa lifted to find two pipes never connected, and I've had leaks forever. But now I'm concerned about a rust spot on the bottom of the pool. My son says it feels like a bump. As far as I'm concerned, short of a piece of rebar being buried straight up NOTHING should be able to pierce the fiberglass. So I'm also trying to find the actual manufacturer that was in Florida. But I'm having trouble with it as you.

As for your problem, by the laws of physics, if your pool was filled and equal amount of bouyancy under it shouldn't be able to lift it. A neighbor of mine is a structural engineer and he was intrigued when he saw our pool being delivered 8 years ago. Now a week later he got a call for one that had popped at the Jersey shore. But that one had been drained despite the owner denying it. And with the high water table at the shore it didn't take much for it to pop. But it was over 20 years old and he said it could easily be put back with no problems.

• 9 months later...
We just had a fiberglass pool installed and large spots are appearing on the pool floor and along the sides of the pool. It is not algae. Hawaiian Pools in Pinellas did the install. Nothing but problems and poor workmanship. This pool has not yet passed final inspection. Anybody else out there with problems by Hawaiian?

i bought a pool from Hawaiian pool pinellas.What a mistake,

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow everyone is quite excited about this problem. I can answer your question and most of the others who have similar questions posted on this string. Pleas email your question to remy@dreamscapespools.com

The fix for a gunite or fiberglass pool popping out of the ground is not impossible and there is no need for freaking out. In the pool construction industry there are many companies that know nothing about hydraulics and physics so we have problems like this that hurt customers. Your fiberglass pool for example was installed incorrectly. The guy stating you need a hydro static relieve valve is clearly not installing pools currently. They are ILLEGAL according to the Virginia Graeme Baker Act. Installing a similar system in your main drain does work, but only when you empty your pool. If you had a hydrostatic relieve valve installed, you would not want ground water leaching into your pool anyways! They are used to relieve pressure during winter or during draining cycles to clean or perform maintenance on your pool.

A simple drainage system installed beneath your pools shell would have relieved the water pressure underground and saved you alot of headache. You can attempt to add one along the outside perimiter of your pool without removing the shell, but no guarantees unless the entire shell is lifted out.

A gunite pool that has lifted can be re-leveled in some situations. Removing the shell is 10K-20K and many times is only beneficial to the guy doing the work. I have removed pools that now looking back, could have been salvaged. You can pump grout beneath the shell to fill in the airpockets after lifting the lower side of the pool up with a crane. This costs money but is less than removing and replacing your pool!

You must think about what is legal and what is not when answering questions about hydraulics. Please read my reply to a question similar about teh VGB Act.

32. Where a single main drain has a hydrostatic relief valve, can a Safety Vacuum Relief System (SVRS) be installed as an alternative to installing a second main drain? If yes, is there any restriction if a hydrostatic relief is installed?

The ASME A112.19.17-2002 standard states that the SVRS can’t be used with a hydrostatic relief valve. The ASTM standard for SVRS doesn’t mention hydrostatic relief valves. The CPSC advice is that the SVRS manufacturer’s instructions be followed and any restrictions on use should be acknowledged by the manufacturer. Plans submitted, that intend to use the SVRS in a system with a hydrostatic relief valve must be accompanied by the manufacturer’s installation instructions that specify that the use of the SVRS is compatible with a hydrostatic val

Dreamscapes:

Maybe you didn't pay attention to the original post date of 2005 which was 2 years prior to the passage of the VGB Act. It was common practice for many years to install a hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain of both fiberglass and gunite pools in many parts of the country when there was a presence of or a possibility of ground water. A sump line was also installed under the fiberglass pool shell to relieve the hydrostatic pressure as well as to gauge if there was any presence of water under the pool.

Dreamscapes:

Maybe you didn't pay attention to the original post date of 2005 which was 2 years prior to the passage of the VGB Act. It was common practice for many years to install a hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain of both fiberglass and gunite pools in many parts of the country when there was a presence of or a possibility of ground water. A sump line was also installed under the fiberglass pool shell to relieve the hydrostatic pressure as well as to gauge if there was any presence of water under the pool.

No I did not notice a post date of 2005? I am quite aware of the use of hydrostat valves considering we design and engineer everything from residential pools to swim parks. I was merely replying to the few other postings that wanted to add a hydrostat as a solution to their pool issues. You sound like you know about pools and would agree a pool with excess ground water should not be installed unless a sump system is installed permanently. Did the guy say his pool had a sump line installed with a gauge? If so I was unaware of it.

:)