Avg Cost On Electric Hook Up

masanori

I forgot to mention that your 20 foot length of flex is a violation of Article 680.42 of the NEC.

John

agreed - I believe only 6 ft of water tight flex is allowed.

Dave

This depends on the code version that this person's tub falls under. 2008 and earlier versions of the NEC were strict with the 6 foot rule. The 2011 code loosened the restriction a bit. It now allows for a maximum of 6 feet outside the cabinet plus the minimum amount necessary inside the cabinet to make it to the box. Somehow, I doubt he has a 14 foot wide hot tub. I could be wrong though!!

John

Mine cost me a crate of beer and the cost of the materials.

Hooked up be a mate.

That is always the best route to go. Usually those kind of jobs can take all day and into the early evening hours. :P :P

Actually it couldn't have been simplier. Having a swimming pool and plant room only 10ft away from where the tub was going, plus all the 4" ducting to my 4 pool pump that sat under the decking beside the tub, the job was completed in recond time (30mins tops).

And afterward we both sat the remainer of the saturday afternoon and downed the beers together so it really only cost me half the crate of beer, oh and a pounder of a headache the next morning. :P

$780 in Texas for 120 feet of 6/3 + ground, 50 amp breakers, 50 amp GFCI. Most of the cable was run in the attic... about 20 feet had to be buried as it exited the attic on the far side of the house. GFCI was mounted on exterior wall about half-way through the wiring run. All to code.

Used Angie's List to find the electrician... generally pretty good info with recommendations (or not) along with some prices paid.

To code, huh??? What was the temperature rating of the installed conductors and what is the hottest temperature that your attic gets to??

John

The guy from Texas has a name. "To code" means the electrician was licensed/certified by the state and the city building inspector passed the install. End of story.

$780 in Texas for 120 feet of 6/3 + ground, 50 amp breakers, 50 amp GFCI. Most of the cable was run in the attic... about 20 feet had to be buried as it exited the attic on the far side of the house. GFCI was mounted on exterior wall about half-way through the wiring run. All to code.

Used Angie's List to find the electrician... generally pretty good info with recommendations (or not) along with some prices paid.

To code, huh??? What was the temperature rating of the installed conductors and what is the hottest temperature that your attic gets to??

John

The guy from Texas has a name. "To code" means the electrician was licensed/certified by the state and the city building inspector passed the install. End of story.

Oh, I forgot: 90*C is the rating. Needed that to get the inspector sign-off. Finite.

John

Really?? What specifically was used for conductors?? THHN/THWN-2?? One of the flavors of NM, such as NM-B??

John

• 8 years later...