Avg Cost On Electric Hook Up

masanori

I havent had mine run yet, but that does indeed sound high at first glance. Id check Craigslist, lots of guys post there to run electrical for hot tubs. Local hot tub dealers could also point you towards their contractors too. We're having some major reconstruction done, and guys are hungry to work. I havent had anybody get angry when I counter on their initial bid at a lower, yet still reasonable in my eyes, price. If they need the work, and your price leaves some money for them...they'll do it. Finding a licensed electrician who isnt bidding out jobs for his employer ( the Craigslist route) can save you a ton of money.

I did mine last March and I think it ran right around $700. Ran it about 50' in the basement and about 25 from the box to the tub. They quoted me about $550, but it ended up costing a little more. I had a professional electrician that works for one of the Hot Tub Dealers in the area do it, but I did not go through the dealer. Just contacted them directly.

I called around in NY also. One quote was $1650 and the other was $800. 60 foot total run, 10 feet under an existing paver patio that needs to be torn up and replaced. Make sure the electrician is certified in the county you live in. Otherwise you won't be able to get the saftey inspection signed by the town.

In MA, I got two quotes from reputable, local electricians. One was 1,200 and the other was just under $700. This included moving some breakers on my main panel to allow for a double breaker. Then add the double breaker inside and the GFCI / disconnect outside. About 40' inside and 20' outside, plus connection to tub. Went with the low quote - happy. I did learn the actual panel you have can make a difference. Also, the wiring was pretty easy inside the house as it went through an unfinished part of the basement. Definitely worth getting more than one quote just to keep them honest (or at least let them know you are getting another quote even if you don't).

I had a qoute of $1,800 which included upgrading my main panel to 200 amp a 40ft run to the sub panel and a 30ft run to the tub.

I ended up doing it all myself for under $700. Inspected and signed off.

Here just a tub hookup runs around $500-700.

Dave

Be sure that you compare apples to apples when evaluating quotes from electricians. Any electrician who gives a quote without reading the installation instructions is not likely to properly quote and perform the job. Various tubs require different conductors and/or wiring methods. Many electricians even low-ball their bids in order to obtain the job and then proceed to use sub-standard material, creating a hazardous condition. And don't expect the electrical inspector's to catch any shortcuts, as most of them are not fluent with Article 680 of the NEC. You really want to ensure that you use an electrician who is very familiar with hot tubs and their unique code requirements. Generally speaking, that usually means getting a referral from your hot tub dealer.

John

Be sure that you compare apples to apples when evaluating quotes from electricians. Any electrician who gives a quote without reading the installation instructions is not likely to properly quote and perform the job. Various tubs require different conductors and/or wiring methods. Many electricians even low-ball their bids in order to obtain the job and then proceed to use sub-standard material, creating a hazardous condition. And don't expect the electrical inspector's to catch any shortcuts, as most of them are not fluent with Article 680 of the NEC. You really want to ensure that you use an electrician who is very familiar with hot tubs and their unique code requirements. Generally speaking, that usually means getting a referral from your hot tub dealer.

John

best advice possible is in bold...any dealer who has been in business for basically any amount of time is going to have an electrician they use/recommend. Calling "joe blow" off craiglist who shoots you a super cheap number over the phone sounds good $ wise, but in the end, just as stated by N1oty you might end up with sub-par materials/installation which could lead to serious issues down the road.

Just bc they are on craigslist or other classified ads doesnt mean they are automatically dangerous. Ive seen some RIDICULOUS wiring jobs done from contractor referred Electricians too. I do agree that asking for referrals from the HT dealer is a great idea though. If they refer Steve's Electrical Service, who then sends John out who works for Steve, and he bids $1,000, but also moonlights on the side, and you find John on craigslist for $700 bucks, and he uses the same or equitable materials and does the job well...AND IS LICENSED AND INSURED....is it wrong that he came cheaper from a classified ad vs a referral?

I realize that my example is Black vs Blue where there are many shades of gray, but just saying that if you do your research and know where the money is going , paying less for something doesnt necessarily make it inferior to something that costs more.

I would recommend using a qualified electrician recommended by your dealer. The lowest cost electrician quote is not always the best idea. There was a post a while back about a hotspring tub hooked up to a 50amp where a 60amp was required. Mistakes can be costly and the headaches would not be worth it. My cost for hooking up my tub recently was $648. This did not include the wire as it was run when the house was built 6 years ago and this did not include the GFI breaker as this was supplied by the dealer. I am guessing the total cast from scratch may have been in the $1000 range.

I live in Western NY. Paid licensed contractor about $800 for approx 40' run in basement, and 10' (above ground) outside from basement to tub - 60A circuit. $80 of the cost was for town permit (a necessary rip-off). Didn't need new service panel.

I had quotes ranging from $650 to $1,800 for EXACTLY the same work, so shop around. Word of caution - as another poster said make sure your contractor is licensed to operate in your town and/or county else you won't get a permit.

$780 in Texas for 120 feet of 6/3 + ground, 50 amp breakers, 50 amp GFCI. Most of the cable was run in the attic... about 20 feet had to be buried as it exited the attic on the far side of the house. GFCI was mounted on exterior wall about half-way through the wiring run. All to code.

Used Angie's List to find the electrician... generally pretty good info with recommendations (or not) along with some prices paid.

$780 in Texas for 120 feet of 6/3 + ground, 50 amp breakers, 50 amp GFCI. Most of the cable was run in the attic... about 20 feet had to be buried as it exited the attic on the far side of the house. GFCI was mounted on exterior wall about half-way through the wiring run. All to code.

Used Angie's List to find the electrician... generally pretty good info with recommendations (or not) along with some prices paid.

To code, huh??? What was the temperature rating of the installed conductors and what is the hottest temperature that your attic gets to??

John

To code, huh??? What was the temperature rating of the installed conductors and what is the hottest temperature that your attic gets to??

John

I just had an install done - cost $1200. 30' run to outside of house, then another 20' flex conduit to the tub. Also included adding a new outside outlet. Had another estimate of $1,350 for just the tub run. Tub dealer told me to expect around $1,000. Your estimate seems high. I live on Long Island, so prices tend to be higher than other areas.

John

I just had an install done - cost $1200. 30' run to outside of house, then another 20' flex conduit to the tub. Also included adding a new outside outlet. Had another estimate of $1,350 for just the tub run. Tub dealer told me to expect around $1,000. Your estimate seems high. I live on Long Island, so prices tend to be higher than other areas.

Look, all of these "estimates" are not worth the paper they are printed on unless they specify EXACTLY the size, length and conductor type that the electrician plans to install. I have had 5 forensic examinations that I have performed in the past few months that involved hot tub failures caused by low bid electrician screw-ups, one of which involved the loss of the house due to fire. I asked the guy in Texas, who has stated he has #6 AWG conductors running through his attic, to inform us what the temperature rating of his #6 is. We haven't heard from him as yet, but if it is rated 60 C or 75 C, he may be screwed. It is reasonably safe to assume that his attic gets fairly hot in the summer, even if it is well ventilated. Any temperature above 86 Fahrenheit results in a de-rating of the ampacity of the conductors. The amount of the de-rating is dependent on the highest ambient temperature encountered, with very warm attics frequently requiring a halving of the conductors ampacity. It does you no good to have the low bidder install something like #6 NM-B with a 55 amp ampacity at 86F for your 50 amp tub, then have the attic lower the maximum ampacity of the conductors to 30 amps due to de-rating. Your 50 amp breaker will not trip in this instance, yet your conductors in the attic are likely to catch fire. For anyone who cares to read up on the information that I am talking about, I refer to Article 310 of the NEC.

John

John

I forgot to mention that your 20 foot length of flex is a violation of Article 680.42 of the NEC.

John