Jacuzzi J280 Issues

Razorhog

So I've had the J280 for 4 months and a solid month of that it's been too hot to get in. They've replaced the thermistor and now the board (twice). I am so fed up with not being able to use my tub because it is 110F. I can set it to 102 or 85, and it creeps up to 110 no matter what. It then displays OH (I'm assuming overheat) Any ideas? I trust they will keep trying until they fix the problem, but what else is there to be done?

Sounds like its time for Jacuzzi to pony up a new tub...if theyve already replaced everything else.

Sorry guy.

Thanks - that is my thinking too. I'll talk with the owner of the place where I bought it and see what he thinks. 2 different techs have been out a total of 5 times, and they say they've talked with Jacuzzi many times. Not sure what else to do other than ask to have it replaced. Now to see how Jacuzzi does on this type of situation.

Sounds like its time for Jacuzzi to pony up a new tub...if theyve already replaced everything else.

Sorry guy.

Thanks - that is my thinking too. I'll talk with the owner of the place where I bought it and see what he thinks. 2 different techs have been out a total of 5 times, and they say they've talked with Jacuzzi many times. Not sure what else to do other than ask to have it replaced. Now to see how Jacuzzi does on this type of situation.

I know if it were me I'd add to it by calling Cacuzzi myself. It may not help much but then again maybe it would and it certainly won't hurt.

Checked just now and the temp is 103 (set to 102) so it seems to be working. The last time it went to 110, it was sunny and 65. The tub is fully exposed to the sun, could that make such a difference?

I just don't see any way it would be getting that hot with it only being 65 degrees. Maybe one degree but not ten. That does stink that they can't figure it out yet, but it does sound like you have a good dealer, and Jacuzzi is as good as any manufacturer as there is, so hang in there. It may not hurt to phone the company like someone said. You might ask your dealer if they have checked the temperature probe, and if it is working properly. Also might ask them about the heater probe. I am sure they checked both of those, but it may not hurt.

Is the heating done off a circ pump or a two speed main pump...

If it is off a 2 sped main pump it is possible the pump speeds are wired backwards and it is heating and circulating on high speed... this could easily cause this scenario... especially with a long filter cycle setting

Is the heating done off a circ pump or a two speed main pump...

If it is off a 2 sped main pump it is possible the pump speeds are wired backwards and it is heating and circulating on high speed... this could easily cause this scenario... especially with a long filter cycle setting

It has a 2 speed pump and a single speed pump. No idea how it is wired. Just checked the temp and it's 110. Dealer was supposed to call me yesterday and did not. Calling him or Jacuzzi on Monday.

OK It has a two speed pump which means it should run on low speed to heat and filter and then when you hit the jets button it goes to high speed for massage...

Shut the breaker off and turn it back on 20 seconds later.

dont touch anything... Let it run through its cycle until the pump comes on.

Once the pump comes on push the jets button for pump one. What should happen is when you hit the jets button it should go to high speed but if when you hit the jets button it goes to low speed then the pump is wired backwards...This means it is heating and filtering on the high speed setting which generates tons of heat and could easily account for the issue you are having...

If this is the problem the fix is simple... change the position of the black and red wire on the main pump...

:rolleyes: Get what you can, you could certainly argue wear and tear at least on the motor... but the reality is it likely wont affect long term use...

Called dealer and told him your theory. He said "that's a good theory" and that he would send a tech out. 3 days later I called because no one had showed up and he said he had another board ordered and it wouldn't be here until next Tuesday or so. They claim this is what jacuzzi wants them to do. I'm sick of it. This makes the third time they have "ordered a board".

:rolleyes: Get what you can, you could certainly argue wear and tear at least on the motor... but the reality is it likely wont affect long term use...

Called dealer and told him your theory. He said "that's a good theory" and that he would send a tech out. 3 days later I called because no one had showed up and he said he had another board ordered and it wouldn't be here until next Tuesday or so. They claim this is what jacuzzi wants them to do. I'm sick of it. This makes the third time they have "ordered a board".

Techs were just here - they switched the black and red wires on the main pump :) Spa God - you da man. Let's hope this is the fix I've been waiting for.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

OK It has a two speed pump which means it should run on low speed to heat and filter and then when you hit the jets button it goes to high speed for massage...

Shut the breaker off and turn it back on 20 seconds later.

dont touch anything... Let it run through its cycle until the pump comes on.

Once the pump comes on push the jets button for pump one. What should happen is when you hit the jets button it should go to high speed but if when you hit the jets button it goes to low speed then the pump is wired backwards...This means it is heating and filtering on the high speed setting which generates tons of heat and could easily account for the issue you are having...

If this is the problem the fix is simple... change the position of the black and red wire on the main pump...

I know this is an old forum but I wanted to thank you for this suggestion, which fixed my tub's problem. I found the forum while Googling for answers as to why my Jacuzzi J-280 was climbing to 110+ degrees after a service tech came and troubleshot a different problem. The same tech came back three more times and couldn't figure it out before I decided to look into it myself. Sure enough, the tech had the red and black wires backwards.

Thanks again, and I think I'll be calling a different place the next time I need service. How could that have been overlooked?

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...