How To Transport A Costco Hot Tub

Ah yes, another costco post !

I'm not asking about the relative quality or value of the current costco tub (Ledgend)

but rather how one would get it home. I have a long bed 1 ton pickup truck. Looking at

the palette drawing on the web site : http://www.platinumhottubs.com/manuals/pal...hippinginfo.pdf

I _think_ that it'd be safe to load into my truck (it'd need strapped down securely). However

when I called the warehouse they seemed to think not -- told me to get a trailer.

Anyone have thoughts or advice on this ? Perhaps it isn't possible to fork-lift it in end-ways,

hence the need for a transportation vehicle that has a flat payload bay ?

I'm not asking about the relative quality or value of the current costco tub (Ledgend)

but rather how one would get it home. I have a long bed 1 ton pickup truck. Looking at

the palette drawing on the web site : http://www.platinumhottubs.com/manuals/pal...hippinginfo.pdf

I _think_ that it'd be safe to load into my truck (it'd need strapped down securely). However

when I called the warehouse they seemed to think not -- told me to get a trailer.

Anyone have thoughts or advice on this ? Perhaps it isn't possible to fork-lift it in end-ways,

You could probably transport it on it's side with a little enginuity. but I prefer to haul them flat on a trailer.

This is how I did it and it works perfectly. First go to Costco and buy a set of their crank straps. It's a set of four and they are very good at around 20.00 bucks.

1st I went to Uhaul and for 25.00 bucks rented a 5'x9' trailer with the drop gate.

2nd When you go to pick up your tub Costco well fork it into the trailer for you. In my case they used 2 fork lifts. The first fork set the tub on the trailer and sled it in about 2-3 feet. The second fork came in from the side and held the tub level while the first fork driver backed up and grabbed it again for a second push. The first fork driver proceed to push the tub in the rest of the way.

3rd strap it down. I asked the fork driver for some cardboard to protect the tub from the straps on top. I used two straps. Keep in mind the tub is on it's side on a pallet. Keep it on the pallet.

4th Here is where we may differ. You might get all your buddys to help you move it to it's new location when you get it home.

I did not do this. This tub is 900-1000 lbs dry. I called a local crane company and for 250.00 cash I had the tub craned over my house and set it down about ten feet from where it was to be placed. I had to set it off to the side because my slab was not poured yet. Now if you use a crane the operator can lift the tub while it's still on the pallet. The pallet takes up most of the trailer floor so when the tub is forked into the trailer make sure the pallet is centered between the trailer wheel wells. This well leave just enough room to slip the crane fabric straps through. It is a bit tight so I ran some small rope through the pallet first and the pulled the crane straps through with the rope.

5th placing the tub. I'm in construction so I borrowed 6- 4'x8' sheets of 7/16 osb to roll the tub onto the slab. I laid the sheets of ply out over the grass to make sort of a road heading to the slab location. I laid down 6- 2" schedule 40 electrical conduit pieces to roll the tub on. I spread them out spacing them out the width of the tub. Myself and three buds laid the tub down onto the rollers and easily rolled the tub right into place. Keep in mind as you roll the tub you well take the rollers from the back and moving them ahead of the tub so it always has a fresh roller to go on. You keep doing this until the tub is in place. Once the tub was in place we use a few 2"x6" stud and some blocks to leaver out the rollers. After the tub is sitting on the slab is can be slid around with out too much trouble. It take a good nudge from a few strong dudes but is very doable for the purpose of getting the tub exactly where you want it.

That how I did it. I know it sound like a lot of doing but it really wasn't bad at all.

I really recommend using the crane truck. It well be the best money you ever spent. You may pay a bit more for the crane then I did just because I had met the driver before and he came after hours to do the job because he was all booked up. It was a cash deal.

I took pics of this and well do my best to post them.

This is how I did it and it works perfectly. First go to Costco and buy a set of their crank straps. It's a set of four and they are very good at around 20.00 bucks.

1st I went to Uhaul and for 25.00 bucks rented a 5'x9' trailer with the drop gate.

2nd When you go to pick up your tub Costco well fork it into the trailer for you. In my case they used 2 fork lifts. The first fork set the tub on the trailer and sled it in about 2-3 feet. The second fork came in from the side and held the tub level while the first fork driver backed up and grabbed it again for a second push. The first fork driver proceed to push the tub in the rest of the way.

3rd strap it down. I asked the fork driver for some cardboard to protect the tub from the straps on top. I used two straps. Keep in mind the tub is on it's side on a pallet. Keep it on the pallet.

4th Here is where we may differ. You might get all your buddys to help you move it to it's new location when you get it home.

I did not do this. This tub is 900-1000 lbs dry. I called a local crane company and for 250.00 cash I had the tub craned over my house and set it down about ten feet from where it was to be placed. I had to set it off to the side because my slab was not poured yet. Now if you use a crane the operator can lift the tub while it's still on the pallet. The pallet takes up most of the trailer floor so when the tub is forked into the trailer make sure the pallet is centered between the trailer wheel wells. This well leave just enough room to slip the crane fabric straps through. It is a bit tight so I ran some small rope through the pallet first and the pulled the crane straps through with the rope.

5th placing the tub. I'm in construction so I borrowed 6- 4'x8' sheets of 7/16 osb to roll the tub onto the slab. I laid the sheets of ply out over the grass to make sort of a road heading to the slab location. I laid down 6- 2" schedule 40 electrical conduit pieces to roll the tub on. I spread them out spacing them out the width of the tub. Myself and three buds laid the tub down onto the rollers and easily rolled the tub right into place. Keep in mind as you roll the tub you well take the rollers from the back and moving them ahead of the tub so it always has a fresh roller to go on. You keep doing this until the tub is in place. Once the tub was in place we use a few 2"x6" stud and some blocks to leaver out the rollers. After the tub is sitting on the slab is can be slid around with out too much trouble. It take a good nudge from a few strong dudes but is very doable for the purpose of getting the tub exactly where you want it.

That how I did it. I know it sound like a lot of doing but it really wasn't bad at all.

I really recommend using the crane truck. It well be the best money you ever spent. You may pay a bit more for the crane then I did just because I had met the driver before and he came after hours to do the job because he was all booked up. It was a cash deal.

I took pics of this and well do my best to post them.

Man that sounds like alot of trouble plus you need a vehicle with a hitch as well. My dealer delivered mine for me on a specially designed trailer. Two guys did it with ease and I didn't have to worry about damaging the spa during the transit. If I were considering buying a Costco spa (and I'm not) I would hire a local dealer that has one of these special transport trailers and people experienced with moving spas. Bear in mind that some of these cheaper spas are not very sturdy and could be easily damaged during movement. I don't know if that is the case with these from Costco, but either way I would let the pros handle it and have peace of mind.

It was a cake walk. Booming the spa over the house was just cool as hell and was a great neighborhood conversation piece.

Also let me tell you. Booming the tub to the back yard was and is the most gentile process. Way way easier on the tub than rolling on bumpy grass with a dolly and a couple 25 yo meat heads hung over from the night before.

FYI I'm a get it done guy and if the boom operator would have let me run the boom I would have jumped at the chance. I've done it before.

I also graded the for the slab formed and poured it as well. With a boom truck. He he he.

Really this stuff isn't rocket science.

You guys just can't stand to see Costco selling these great tubs and it cracks me up. Sure they're not top of the line tubes but for the price What the heck.

Some of you hot tub nuts just don't get it. I don't have 9k for a tub. 4k I can do.

This tub has worked flawlessly for me and yes I have not had it long only 7 mts.

Hell for 9K I could buy two of the Costco tubs and when the first one explodes into a ball of flames I'll break out the second one and take the extra 1k to buy me a Fender strat. ;);)

I went the trailer route. I called a rental place near the Costco store and they said 'oh yeah, we have a trailer that we rent all of the time for that'. It was a flat bed trailer with no sides and handy tie downs. I hooked up the trailer and drove over to the costco store and they used their fork life to put the tub on the trailer on its side and then two costco guys and me all lowered it gently down flat onto the trailer. Then I put some rope over it to tie it down. To unload the trailer, I backed it into the back yard and then slid the tub off of the trailer onto its side on a dolly and rolled it over to its new home and then lowered it down. It takes about four or five strong guys to handle a tub so find some friends or hire out some help. You can also go the crane route by hiring a boom truck and operator from your local crane service. If you do that, you need to measure exactly where the boom truck will park and what the lift radius will be and so forth. Also, look for overhead obstructions like power lines, trees, street lights, etc. The crane company will not do that in advance but will just show up on your dime and then refuse to turn a wheel if everything isn't right. In my case, doing the manual unload on a dolly was easier and cheaper than a boom truck but many times the reverse is probably true. There are also companies that will come and unload and position the tub for you. Do a google search for 'hot tub moving' or something like that.

Here is the link for photobucket where the boom picks and tub pics are.

You'll have to log in with my "friend password" to see the pics. I'm new to photo bucket and havn't learned yet how to share the photos with out doing it this was.

Just log in and have a look see.

username----- stomper4x4

Friend password----- FdevilleP

New NW tub owner, I agree in some or most cases using a dolly might be the best way to go but for me it was fences with narrow gates.

I use boom trucks at least 1-2 times a month so I knew at a glance that he would reach but other people would need to tape it off and check for wires for sure.

photobucket logi in

It was a cake walk. Booming the spa over the house was just cool as hell and was a great neighborhood conversation piece.

Also let me tell you. Booming the tub to the back yard was and is the most gentile process. Way way easier on the tub than rolling on bumpy grass with a dolly and a couple 25 yo meat heads hung over from the night before.

FYI I'm a get it done guy and if the boom operator would have let me run the boom I would have jumped at the chance. I've done it before.

I also graded the for the slab formed and poured it as well. With a boom truck. He he he.

Really this stuff isn't rocket science.

You guys just can't stand to see Costco selling these great tubs and it cracks me up. Sure they're not top of the line tubes but for the price What the heck.

Some of you hot tub nuts just don't get it. I don't have 9k for a tub. 4k I can do.

This tub has worked flawlessly for me and yes I have not had it long only 7 mts.

Hell for 9K I could buy two of the Costco tubs and when the first one explodes into a ball of flames I'll break out the second one and take the extra 1k to buy me a Fender strat. ;);)

You sound like me, the perfect canidate for a costco tub. And you are correct if you can get 2 of these tubs to last for 15-20 years like a high end tub you have started to find value. However, if you can only get 5-6 years out of one the value begins to become suspect. And besides there are plenty of 4000 dollar tubs out there sold at your local spa dealers place. They are no where near as flashy as the PE whatever, but the are very reliable with a track record of value and dealer support. Great Lakes and Nordic are 2 prime examples. Marquis, D1 and Hot Springs all have a value line of tubs that come with dealer support and are around the same price. For some reason these are overlooked by folks considering a costco tub??? They come with free delivery and set up and dealer support.

I use 2 "meatheads" me and my brother, to move tubs and we do it on there side through out the yards (equipment side down) on our special big wheel dolly. But lay them flat on our trailer, that has no fender wells nor side walls, completely flat, drive on snomobile trailer, for transport, it will haul 2 at once. We use moving blankets under the spa on the trailer, during the tipping process and throughout the move, and it is an easy 2 man job from store to backyard. Nylon srtraps for lifting over obsticles and johnson bars, PVC tube for rolling into tough spots where the trailer won't fit. We also have this handy little duct jack (portable fork lift) with a 1000 lb capacity to raise from ground level to decks height.

Jim, from Nova Scotia, Canada, 22 Jan 07

I just bought a tub from Costco as well. It still is not working, but that story is for later. After buying the tub at Costco I inquired as to how I would get it home (approximately 175 Km). The two guys that were helping me suggested I use a trailer. I have a 4X8 trailer that has heavy-duty springs. It can easily handle 1500Lbs. I went back to Costco's with the 4X8 trailer and it would not work. The problem is the trailer was not heavy/wide enough (the weight of the trailer) to handle the height weight of the load (8'). I talked to the sales men at Costco and told them that I would be back with another larger trailer and my truck (GMC Jimmy), they said it was to bad that I don't have a 1/2 ton truck for the tub. Well I sure could borrow one in a hurry. So I returned with a 1/2 Ton GMC Sierra, Diesel. The pallet and the tub fit on perfect. We strapped it on real good, and drove home. On route to home we reached speeds of approx 100Km/Hr and it was no problem. I reached home in a bought 2 Hr. The tub stayed on the truck until the deck was ready for it. The tub deck and the truck rails are the same height. I drove the truck beside the deck and had 5 guys there to help me. We un-strapped the tub, and pushed it over onto the deck. There was only 4 guys holding the weight of the tub, and each guy guessed that the weight they were holding was a bought 35 Lbs. The tub just flipped into position as if NASA had planned it. With in three minutes it was over and the truck was out of the way.

As to why my tub is not working, I have a GFI (ground fault intterupt) installed approx 5' from the tub and it trips as soon as the power is on. The technician on the phone said they would send a new spa pack to me Via Puralator. They want my general electrician to install the Spa pack. They did say if he is not comfortable with the task they would send a spa technician to me (175Km drive). I will let you know how it goes. I guess this is the compromise that you have to accept when you compare price to local service.

Jim, from Nova Scotia, Canada, 22 Jan 07

As to why my tub is not working, I have a GFI (ground fault intterupt) installed approx 5' from the tub and it trips as soon as the power is on. The technician on the phone said they would send a new spa pack to me Via Puralator. They want my general electrician to install the Spa pack. They did say if he is not comfortable with the task they would send a spa technician to me (175Km drive). I will let you know how it goes. I guess this is the compromise that you have to accept when you compare price to local service.

I doubt that the new spa pack will help. The GFCI trips because it detects a different current flow on the hot wires compared with the neutral wire. This can becaused either by an inadvertent leakage of current to ground or by a defective GFCI. Have your electrician check the installation carefully and look for damage to the conductor insulation and/or water present next to the conductors. Test your GFCI when unloaded and be sure that it does not trip then. False tripping of GFCIs is a big problem with some types. The best type is the kind where the current sensor and relay device are separate like this:

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant...uct_Code=BX8001

The only way that your spa pack could be causing the gfci to trip is if water is getting inside of the housing for some reason or if the heating unit is defective which is unlikely, to say the least, on a new heating unit. Unless one of those is true, replacing the spa pack will not help you.

I doubt that the new spa pack will help. The GFCI trips because it detects a different current flow on the hot wires compared with the neutral wire. This can becaused either by an inadvertent leakage of current to ground or by a defective GFCI. Have your electrician check the installation carefully and look for damage to the conductor insulation and/or water present next to the conductors. Test your GFCI when unloaded and be sure that it does not trip then. False tripping of GFCIs is a big problem with some types. The best type is the kind where the current sensor and relay device are separate like this:

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant...uct_Code=BX8001

The only way that your spa pack could be causing the gfci to trip is if water is getting inside of the housing for some reason or if the heating unit is defective which is unlikely, to say the least, on a new heating unit. Unless one of those is true, replacing the spa pack will not help you.

Thanks for the reply. I have been getting the same info from my electrical guy here. I think I will leave this one to the spa pro's to figure out. I'll let you know what comes of it all, replacement of defective spa parts or faulty GFI.

If your new spa is equipped with an air blower, try pulling the plug on that one piece of equipment. Blowers are very sensitive to water/moisture and sometimes in moving a spa a bit of water can make it into the blower.

If it is the blower, you will most likely need to replace it - they don't seem to dry out very well once they get wet.

Who knows? It is worth a try. You can sure get into your tub without the blower hooked up.

Ozone systems are another item to try this with.

B)

If you use the pickup truck make sure you have some 2x6's and plywood and a pulley system like jimthejim uses and a prayer. Make sure if you use a dolly to get some ply wood to follow through the whole yard to make it easier to roll into the backyard. Get at least 4 to 5 guys also. Let us know how it worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

i used a small trailer with enough gvw to haul that load, and had costco load it on its side, standing high. we then used a big blue plastic tarp, to drag it around the side of the house on the lawn. took 6 of us to slide it, but it happened all in under 2 hours including paying for it.

Before we took it off the trailer, we notice a hole in the side of it about 1.5" wide, and i told them i didnt care about a hole, lets move i anyway, instead of taking it back. i just fibreglassed it later, and airbrushed a lil benchmixed color to be close-ish color wise.

i have a friend in calgary that bought one plat2 at costco and he hauled it in his new dodge longbox. he said it wasnt a problem.

i used a small trailer with enough gvw to haul that load, and had costco load it on its side, standing high. we then used a big blue plastic tarp, to drag it around the side of the house on the lawn. took 6 of us to slide it, but it happened all in under 2 hours including paying for it.

Before we took it off the trailer, we notice a hole in the side of it about 1.5" wide, and i told them i didnt care about a hole, lets move i anyway, instead of taking it back. i just fibreglassed it later, and airbrushed a lil benchmixed color to be close-ish color wise.

i have a friend in calgary that bought one plat2 at costco and he hauled it in his new dodge longbox. he said it wasnt a problem.

Getting back to what was causing my electrical problem in my tub. I installed a Square D 60 Amp GFCI breaker. This was the problem. I found a site that explained that the 60 Amp Square D GFCI would not work on a hybrid tub (240 and 120 requirements in side the tub. It tripped continually. I replace it with a Semeins 50 Amp GFCI and the electrical is up and running. To bad the pump froze. I contacted the manufacture and they are sending the part under warranty. I hope to have it running by this Friday.

I didn't really want to deal with moving the spa but I called around to a few spa dealer and found one to move it for me. I would have done it myself but the only issue was getting it into the back yard. If I could have rented one of the spa dollies I would have done it myself but none of the local rental places offered them.

Now the only issue was coordinating the spa company and costco. I got to the store about 30 min. early to give costco some time to get it out of steel and have it ready so the spa company wouldn't have to wait around. Well, as much as I tried they still end up waiting about 30 minutes. The girl on the forklift was an idiot but we had her load it on the trailer, stripped the pallet off and laid it on its bottom.

I live in a downtown area and my yard is completely privacy fenced in so that was my biggest hurdle without the dolly. It took maybe 20 minutes for them to get it unloaded and set in place. It was worth it to have someone with the right tools do it than struggle myself. Plus, if they damaged...they get to fix, but they did an awesome job!

• 2 weeks later...

Go the trailer route. $30-$50 to rent it maybe even cheaper. Had my costco spa for 1 year. Stomper -I do think you are wrong. It does take a rocket scientist, let me see - 1) rent a trailer 2) buy 2 furniture rollers at lowes $20 each 2) invite 5-6 of your friends 3) on the count of three PUSH! 4) nudge the spa into place (no water yet of course). 5) Fill it up with water and enjoy. 6) and you save over $3000....Brilliant...now who is the rocket scientist?

• 1 month later...

An update on my Costco platinum ledgend experience, for anyone interested:

The fact that we had two feet of snow on the ground by the time we decided to buy the spa

made things a little more complex and so I decided to hire a local crew of guys that claim

'we do anything' (turns out to be true !) to pickup from Costco and move onto our deck.

They used a flat trailer. We then used a large game sled (what you'd use to haul a

dead elk from the woods if you happened to shoot one) to move the tub the 200 ft

around the house on the snow.

The hot tub has been in operation for two months now and we are very happy with it.

I broke one of the pegs that holds the rubber pillows on. Hydrospa replaced it FOC quickly.

Actually they sent the whole pillow, not the $0.02 peg as I expected. Costco had pushed

something sharp though the packing carton holding the lid, resulting in a tiny puncture

on the underside. They were going to give us one from another unit in their inventory

but then discovered that all five had the same puncture. So we're waiting on new

stock still for that to be replaced.

I found Hydrospa telephone support to be fine and we really like the quality of the spa.

Also the price of course !

I've talked to a number of neighbors about their experiences with the local 'full price'

spa dealers (Hotsprings etc). Generally nobody is happy with their level of service.

So having a Costco spa with no service is not that much different than going with

a dealer ! And $5k cheaper.

Happy customer.

Lol no problem. Sometimes being sarcastic in print does not translate correctly. Especially at this form.

It's too bad this poster never came back to tell us how the move went.

I spent all that time posting to him how I did it and took the time to post pics on the net for not.

Well I just did post an update, and I also appreciated the help here.

Fact is I've been very busy at work since we got the tub. Also busy

soaking....

Here are some pics of the move:

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.boreham/Hot_tub

Thanks again for your help.