Shouldn't This Open?

zekni

This is my Hayward Progrid DE filter.

0310111442a_01.jpg

0310111442b_01.jpg

Just moved into this house and is the first time I've cleaned the filter (was running at nearly 40psi upon move in. I just cleaned the grids yesterday, and added more DE. PSI started at 10psi. I let run for about an hour, came out and there was no pressure. Checked the skimmer basket.. completely filled with leaves, empty basket, still no pressure. I want to empty this basket:

0310111442c_01.jpg

But I can't get it open. Yes, I drained the water so it's not under pressure. My last pool used to get clogged up here, and gawd only knows when the last time this was emptied. It tells you which way is open and closed, so I assume it should open. When you really try to turn it, the inlet pipe flexes and it appears I am risking causing a leak where it attachs to the pvc. I would say from all the sealant that this has been a problem before.

0310111443a_01.jpg

But if the skimmer basket is clean, and the filter is clean, doesn't it suggest I should check this basket too?

Any suggestions for loosening it up so I can get it off?

Thanks

get yourself a nice sturdy piece of wood about 18" long...use your legs to "brace" the pump while you insert the wood through the "handle" on the pump lid and attempt to spin it off...I despise this design btw because this always happens to point where everyone of my customers has there own piece of wood that sits next to the pump, more of a nuisance than anything...btw I would at least re-plumb your suction valves and the front of the pump..im sure you are experiencing air leaks just by the look of it

And by seeing the white and the clear silicone on the housing by the inlet, makes me think someone re-tightened the plumbing into the pump so far it cracked the housing. Someone probably allowed the pump to run dry, it heated up, and shrunk the pipe and made it loose, hence the re-tightening.

And by seeing the white and the clear silicone on the housing by the inlet, makes me think someone re-tightened the plumbing into the pump so far it cracked the housing. Someone probably allowed the pump to run dry, it heated up, and shrunk the pipe and made it loose, hence the re-tightening.

good eye...you are correct about the silicone being on the actual housing (which is obviously cracked) my recommendation would be a new pump, or if your pinching pennies you might be able to salvage the motor and find a used wet end from a local company...then at that point you can re-plumb your suction lines

A piece of wood seems like a good idea... I brace the housing with it so it doesn't break while I'm forcing the issue, or I use it in the lid? Maybe I'll get two pieces of wood, because with enough force to get the lid off, I'm sure I'm going to bust the seal where that silicone is. Oy vey. I wonder if the pool warranty will cover something like this..

Pathfinder, until I took the damn thing apart (okay, the pressure was crazy, and it needed it) the pool was sparkling and seemed like the flow was great.

That all stopped today when I drained the water out of it, and now can't turn the pump back on until I get the lid off that thing, because I need to fill it with water before turning the pump back on.

good luck shrinking schedule 80 pvc, anyway. air leaks on the suction and pressure side of a pump are not uncommon. The silicone is an easy fix on the suction side, well, because it sucks the silicone into the plumbing, pressure side is a different story! Your pump basket is yes probably full of junk! get the lid off and clean it out. However I believe your loss of pressure is more importantly due to junk in your pump!!! When you cleaned the grids and recharged them you were fine, but now with no back pressure the pump has more suction. It is likely your pump basket is broken and debris has moved on into your impeller. Luckily that pump (challenger) is easily cleaned by reaching in with your fingers, or removing the band!

good luck shrinking schedule 80 pvc, anyway. The silicone is an easy fix on the suction side

Don't think schedule 80 can heat up and shrink huh?

While schedule 80 can take more heat than schedule 40, it can still shrink if exposed to heat long enough.

And while silicone may fix an air leak, It is at best a temporary fix. Your plumbing needs to be tight to prevent leaks that can cause the pump to have trouble. Silicone just does not provide a lasting durable seal. Especially if the threaded fitting is loose to begin with (the reason you would use silicone).

If your plumbing is tight, you don't need silicone!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the help. Poolspaguy30's advice on the big stick (one to turn the handle, and one to brace the pump) worked beautifully. The basket there was definately the problem.

Yes, the system does take on air, so I have to bleed it regularly.

How would you guys suggest replumbing the suction lines? Any do-it-yourself guides out there? Not that I would do it myself... but I'd be willing to bet my dad could.