Costco Hot Tubs Are The Main Topic Here...

Looking back at the topics and the number of reads they get, it's obvious that Costco hot tubs are the main topic here. it's also obvious that the Costco distribution model is revolutionizing the hot tub industry by bringing high-quality hot tubs to a much wider group of users at much lower prices than in the past. I have no idea what the Costco market share is of hot tub sales but it must be pretty significant just based on forums like this. You dealers (of non-costco hot tubs) that post here about how bad you think the costco hot tubs are should get with the program and start thinking of goods and services that you can provide to owners of costco hot tubs. You repair guys here that post about how much you hate to work on costco hot tubs should start realize that the mass-market reliability of the costco hot tubs is here to stay and start thinking of services that you can provide for costco hot tubs. The Costco hot tub business is only going to grow and all of you people should start aligning your businesses with that.

A generation ago, appliance sales were revolutionized the same way by a company called Sears. Now, hardly anyone buys appliances at 'appliance stores'. Food for thought.

Looking back at the topics and the number of reads they get, it's obvious that Costco hot tubs are the main topic here. it's also obvious that the Costco distribution model is revolutionizing the hot tub industry by bringing high-quality hot tubs to a much wider group of users at much lower prices than in the past. I have no idea what the Costco market share is of hot tub sales but it must be pretty significant just based on forums like this. You dealers (of non-costco hot tubs) that post here about how bad you think the costco hot tubs are should get with the program and start thinking of goods and services that you can provide to owners of costco hot tubs. You repair guys here that post about how much you hate to work on costco hot tubs should start realize that the mass-market reliability of the costco hot tubs is here to stay and start thinking of services that you can provide for costco hot tubs. The Costco hot tub business is only going to grow and all of you people should start aligning your businesses with that.

A generation ago, appliance sales were revolutionized the same way by a company called Sears. Now, hardly anyone buys appliances at 'appliance stores'. Food for thought.

Your perception of "High Quality" and mine, are not the same.

LOL, interesting post. We have 4 or 5 people on a message board posting about costco tubs over and over again and now Costco distribution model is revolutionizing the hot tub industry.

I actually think Home Depot beat Costco to the punch by several years.

I do agree that a lot more hot tubs will be purchased over the internet (not just costco) in the years to come and the industry would be wise to keep up.

I have had many discussions and been to many marketing meetings and other meetings with the folks from HotSpring. I have actively marketed the product for two decades. There is a huge marketing program out there, going out to millions of folks around the globe.

The tubs sold - gaining on 800,000 units - over the past thirty years form a solid base for referrals, word of mouth, and they help to build a good reputation inside and outside of the industry.

Local dealers advertise in local mediums all over the world, including the Internet, cable TV, newprint, magazines, radio, direct mail, and followup of leads generated by all of the above and more on a national level.

The results of these efforts are closely monitored, and adjustments made as needed.

So - at what point do a handful of people posting their opinions of the ONE spa they purchased become a trend-setting event in the grand scheme of things?

And to repeat Guzz, the concept of a quality tub is not something we are likely to agree on here. I'm sure that most folks would report that they love whatever tub they purchased. That has been my experience at least. I have even read about folks who have reported major problems in one line, and then posted that they would buy the same again.

I guess I am saying that these boards are good for many things, but establishing the direction for the whole industry is not one of them.

B)

I guess I am saying that these boards are good for many things, but establishing the direction for the whole industry is not one of them.

B)

This board is not establishing the direction of the industry....it is a reflection of where the industry is going....i think thats the point NW is trying to make.

Guzz does make a good point. We only used to service what we sell but now I find my service guys repairing cotsco tubs more often. That brings alot of people back for repeat business to build a relationship upon. With that in mind there is more opportunities. Within the next 5-10 years if you do not have an online store and hire someone to manage it, you might not make it as well. I stress the point of diversity as well. For instance if you are only selling hot tubs a good suggestion would be doing commercial steam and sauna and pools. You also have to understand that dealers are taking care of there customers tubs (assuming so, otherwise wouldn't be in business) therefor not as many people left with uncertainty. Costco posts are growing in numbers because those "B" customers do not have the benefit of asking a dealer for backup support. Building good relationships is bottom line for us smaller dealers. Just some food for thought.

Paul, do you know what you're doing????? Now the other board is gonna get loaded up with Costco posts!!! :D (just jokin', y'all) And please don't leave a trail of breadcrumbs for a certain Hot Spring hatin' individual to follow you back to the other forum. Its nice over there without the drama!

Rich

Paul, do you know what you're doing????? Now the other board is gonna get loaded up with Costco posts!!! :D (just jokin', y'all) And please don't leave a trail of breadcrumbs for a certain Hot Spring hatin' individual to follow you back to the other forum. Its nice over there without the drama!

Rich

:P I hear ya but hey, just trying to be helpful. Before I bought my tub I was only researching on this forum. By luck I found the other one and, in truth, found it to be much more helpful. I only come here now for the comedic relief... :lol:

I only come here now for the comedic relief... :lol:

How sad, but true.

I also started off reading this Forum and found the other one later. Your thread is lot more likely to get highjacked or attacked than over there.

Plus, I have a bullseye on my back over here since I own a Hot Spring. There is this one particular sniper here..........

How sad, but true.

I also started off reading this Forum and found the other one later. Your thread is lot more likely to get highjacked or attacked over there.

Plus, I have a bullseye on my back over here since I own a Hot Spring. There is this one particular sniper here..........

I got your back Rich....and I am not a Hot Spring fan. They do however make my top ten.

I am the first to jump on the Costco band wagon once they get a year or two old and need to be rebuilt.

Look at how many people on this read the costco posts. Its actually pretty amazing compared to the views on the other threads.

But..then again..there are three people that just love to talk smack about these tubs and they might be generating most of those views!!

Experience is a fact. If you don't like vocally dissatisified people, tough luck. I don't bash the maker of my tub without good reason and I have never said a negative thing about Costco. I don't disagree with NW about Costco's influence on the marketplace, but there is no "Costco" hot tub. Costco sells various models including Keys Backyard (Discovery), Hydrospa and Hotsprings. They will do this as long as people buy them and manufacturers maintain the standards Costco sets. So while Costco may be changing people's buying habits in many ways, but its not because Hydrospa or Keys Backyard makes a great tub. If changes occur in the market, they will be driven by Costco's leverage through economy of scale.

Translate that into good news for consumers because manufacturers like Hydrospa will be forced to raise quality and service levels to meet the expectations of the 1000 lb. gorilla that drives its market. It also translates into great news for buyers like me who gain a fantastic lever in getting what we pay for... even if it takes a year.

Having dealt with Hydrospa for 6 months, I am tired of hearing the raves abour how great the Platinum Elite spas are. Remember, new tubs run properly because that is what $4000 appliances are supposed to do. Its a decent spa for the money, but lets not go overboard until we have these a few years. Mine --for one-- never made it out the gate. That's not smack. That is fact.