Heat Pump Vs Gas

myles

new subscriber! i tried using the search on the forum but couldn't find the info i was looking for. just wondering if someone could recommend a good heat pump company? i live in northern Canada and my pool size is 16' by 32'. the length of season for the pool is probably 4 1/2 months. i didn't use my cover as religiously as i should have last year but will this year. are there things i should be aware of when looking for one? the hayward gas heater i have is probably 10-15 yrs old and has prehistoric temperature controls on it.

thanks for your help.

The heat pumps will only operate when your air and water temp are above 50 deg. F - sorry, I don't know Celsius. The heat pump is more efficient at heating, but the gas heater is generally faster. A heat pump can be good, but educate yourself thoroughly before getting one so you're not disappointed. Hayward, Rheem, Summit, AquaCal...lots of good mfgrs.

thanx txpoolguy

i have black solar panels as well that i'd like to hook up too. i guess i'll head down to my local pool shop and see what they recommend.

50 F is 10 Celsius.

anybody in Ontario (TO area) recommend retailers that i can call for information?

As was stated earlier, below 10C, heat pumps can't pull enough heat from the air to work but that's not all. Until the ambient air gets to about 20C, they are still pretty inefficient. At their peak, a residential pool heat pump will only push 125K BTUs so warm up time for the pool will be long.

A 400K BTU gas heater will, when kept clean, give you about an 84% transfer of heat to the water, whether it's 10C, 20C, or 30C.

It will take the same amount of gas to heat a 30K liter pool to a desired temperature with a 400K unit as it would with a 250K unit. The big difference is the amount of time it takes to get there.

Over 90% of a pool's heat is lost at the surface through evaporation. By using a solar cover, the evaporation is substantially reduced. The extra money spent keeping an uncovered pool warm easily exceeds the cost of a solar cover.

Scott