Happy Feet Bottom Vs Sand Bottom

Skennedy

I recently purchased an above ground swimming pool. I was told by the installation guys that they use Happy Feet Bottom Lining instead of Sand said it was easier to install and cheaper. Has anybody ever used a padding under their liner or just sand. Love to hear your comments before I start the installation process.

Thanks,

Sandy K.

• 4 weeks later...

I have sand under mine, but I think padding might be a good idea. Due to stupid kids, I had some small holes punched in the liner last summer. While all have been patched, it's obvious where they were by the dips where sand was washed away. This wouldn't be a problem with padding. What's the cost of the padding vs sand? I would think you would have to replace it each time the liner was replaced (Though I guess you would add some new sand each time as well).

John

I recently purchased an above ground swimming pool. I was told by the installation guys that they use Happy Feet Bottom Lining instead of Sand said it was easier to install and cheaper. Has anybody ever used a padding under their liner or just sand. Love to hear your comments before I start the installation process.

Thanks,

Sandy K.

Thanks,

Sandy K.

I install about one hundred jobs a year and have only put the padded bottom on one (3 years ago). This was something called Gorilla Pad. The Gorilla Pad comes in one large piece, made for your size pool. The thin foam is useless. It comes in 4' wide rolls and has to be taped together. In both cases I would put sand down. If you rely solely on the dirt, it could be an invitation for disaster. Smooth it out and compact the sand. Now: sand alone will be more compacted once the water is in and makes a nice hard bottom. The pad will be a little softer and in my opinion will be more prone to puncture.

I have sand but wish I did a bottom pad and at least a perimeter cove peice as well.

Sand does shift and I have a few "dents" in my bottom and one along the edge, but the biggest issue I have is I installed an underwater light and at night, sitting on my deck looking down on the pool I can every wrinkle and imperfection on the pool bottom. Perhaps I am wrong, but I can't help but think a padded bottom would give me a nicer looking install and prevented the dents in the sand. (???)

Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world for me, and it's only a slight annoyence, but if I had to do it again, I would strongly consider the pad and I would try to see an actual installed pad at a real home, at night under the lights.

Not familliar with the actual installation....but they put the pad ontop of a sand base, no?

• 2 weeks later...

We installed our own 21' pool about 3 years ago. We leveled the ground carefully, cleared it of debris, added a little sand to even things out, then used 1/2 inch foam (yes, taped section by section--but that wasn't hard) which we purchased in rolls from a manufacturer, not a pool supply store. Over that we used a fabric similar to the gorilla pad. We had a VERY smooth bottom, and it was comfortable to walk on. We also used foam cove and wall foam. I was happy with all of it. It didn't cost that much extra, was easier for us than getting the sand perfect, and allowed for very easy cleaning.

We have since moved and are now considering our options for a new pool. I will definitely use foam & a pad under it if we DIY another AGP.

But I have lost my foam source & can't find it again on the internet...Oops!

• 11 years later...

I have a 24 ft above ground pool near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, about 300 miles north of the Montana border. After 17 years I am replacing my 30 mil liner. I used happyfoot foam under the liner and over a thin coat of sand. It did provide some cushioning on the bottom for a few years, which was nice. After a while it compacted and the bottom became more firm. I have had leaks in the liner due to abuse and hail storms but have had no big issues because of that.