Test Strip Blue Color Not Green

donnak

I am new to spa testing. I get a blue color instead of green on sanitizer reading and total alkalinity. They are new test strips. Can you tell me if this is a high concentration or what?

Best advice I can give you is to switch from biguanide/peroxide (BaquaSpa) to either chlorine or bromine. In the long run you will be much better off. Biganide systems can attack plastics used in spas (some manufacturers even forbid it's use), tend to be susceptible to outbreaks of white water mold and pink slime (both bacterial biofilms), will quickly drain your wallet (expensive and you will need to replace your filters about 5 times as often and clean them much more frequently), are mainly a good profit maker for your dealer.

The only time I would recommend then is if you have a TRUE allergy to halogens -- chlorine and bromine (rare but it does happen) since biguandie/peroxide systems are one of the EPA approved spa sanitizer systems and the only one totally halogen free since there are no other alternative available.to keep the water sanitized.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend getting a bit of a better water tester as well. I've found the strips to be rather...odd...in their readings at time and think investing in a good kit is worth the expense. Good Luck!

actually, the link you posted is not very useful for the OP since there are no biguanide/peroxide test kits listed.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I'd recommend getting a bit of a better water tester as well. I've found the strips to be rather...odd...in their readings at time and think investing in a good kit is worth the expense. Good Luck!

actually, the link you posted is not very useful for the OP since there are no biguanide/peroxide test kits listed.

I should have clarified - the link was a suggestion if Donnak takes your advice. It's where I grabbed a tester from awhile ago.