Annoying Pulsating Beep From Pump

mfabius

Our florida inground pool is just finished, and the 1.5 hp Sta-rite Max-e-pro pump on a concrete pad is running fine. But it has a annoying pulsating beep, that, while not very loud, is quite noticable, perhaps 3 or 4 beeps per second. Standing at certain angles from the pump, you cannot even hear it. Is this normal? Installer has warned us that it will be difficult to make a warranty claim because the pump is basically working ok. Because it's agasinst our bedroom wall, it is very annoying when pump runs at night. Anybody else have this experience? Ideas?

Those pumps don't have any electronics to them that give a "beep". This could be some kind of vibration or buzz. Your installer should not be brushing this off. If it is a vibration, it could very well be an installation issue. He should call a rep from Pentair to come out and all 3 of you listen to it (there is no charge for this), and verify a problem or noise. What you describe could also be some kind of problem with the motors cooling fan either out of balance, bent, or rubbing, etc. Keep on the installer about this till resolved. It could be a installation issue that would not be a warranty with Pentair but with him.

"Installer has warned us that it will be difficult to make a warranty claim because the pump is basically working ok."

This is not an acceptable response from your builder, regarding a brand new pool. It sounds like he is basically saying that if manufacturer isn't to blame, it will probably cost you to fix.

If you are getting vibration on the other side of the wall, it could be that the builder poured the slab right up against your foundation providing an excellent transmission "conduit" for vibration and or noise to be transmitted throughout the house. Or perhaps he straped or secured the plumbing to the wall i.e. doing the same thing.

Good Luck.

thanks for the comments. The sound does not seem to be an installation vibration, but a high pitched pulsating sound from the motor. Not very loud at all, but annoying. The installer replaced the motor for us, but still the same sound. So i'm guessing its inherent in the pump or motor construction or design.

Have him check the "fit" between the impeller and the diffuser. The diffuser has a brass insert that the impeller fits into and if there is any rubbing it will show evidence of it on the brass. I realize that the PB will be hesitant to keep coming back to keep checking things. Just remind him that you have just spent alot of money on this, and that he doesn't have to live with it, you do!

I still think that a Pentair rep should pay a visit to witness this problem first hand. FWIW, that is what i would do for a customer.

• 4 years later...
I think your pump needs some minor repairs and adjustments that help to eliminate this noise. You said your pool pump is beeping

right, Sometimes, problems in the skimmer baskets can be responsible for the beep in pump motor. Check your skimmer basket and make sure it has not got clogged with large or small items. Check and clean your skimmer basket.

• 5 years later...

I also have a beeping coming from the pool pump for the first time this year. Started right away when the pool service opened the pool. The pump also seems to be running perfectly fine. Just a constant beeping. I’ve called for a service visit @$145. I’ll let you k ow what they find.