How Do I Replace My Pool Light

I have an inground pool with a standard light niche and I think "500W" bulb. I would like to replace it with a color changing LED bulb that draws less power. I don't want to mess anything up and cause a leak considering the cover is located under water. Any advice is much appreciated in reference to the installation, type bulb, and a place to buy.

I am not big on LED replacement bulbs in these fixtures. They just aren't as bright and are not UL listed. Replacing the fixture with a same brand fixture is safer. If you have a Hayward fixture today, a Color Logics is the safe way to go. If you have an Amerlite fixture, Intellibrite is the safe way to go.

That being said, when replacing a bulb, always replace the lens gasket and clean all surfaces to reduce the chances of a leak when closing up the fixture.

Scott

Scott,

thank you for the reply. I don't have a problem at all replacing it with the Color Logic or the Amerilite type bulb. When replacing the bulb do I need to drop the water or can I open the niche while it is submerged. Once it is open do I need to replace the fixture and cord or can I screw the bulb into the existing socket? Sorry for so many questions and I really appreciate the help.

Bill

No need to drop the water level. The top of the faceplate has a hole. Inside is usually a #2 Phillips or #2 Flathead. Unscrew it and it will release from the niche. The fixture should have a cord that is of sufficient length to reach the deck.

Amerlites and Color Logics are fixtures, not bulbs. That swap is more money than swapping the bulb but safer, IMHO.

If you see water in the fixture already, it's shot and needs replacement. Some will say I am overly cautious. But if my kids are swimming there, I would have as reasonable an expectation of safe practices as you would were your kids in my pool. If that's overly cautious, so be it.

Scott

If you see water in the fixture already, it's shot and needs replacement. Some will say I am overly cautious. But if my kids are swimming there, I would have as reasonable an expectation of safe practices as you would were your kids in my pool. If that's overly cautious, so be it.

Scott

IMHO, not overly cautious at all!

I hate to be so uninformed but what is safer about the color logic light compared to the one I have. Does it use less voltage? I have never been all that comfortable about having a 110v light in the pool. I only turn it on when no one is swimming and it attracts a ton of bugs that commit suicide in the water when it is on. If it makes sense and I choose to replace the fixture is that when I am forced to replace the cord up to the junction box by the pool deck? I understand if I replace the bulb i open the fixture and put on a new gasket and screw in the bulb. Then re-install the light in the pool wall. If you are replacing the fixture is that when I need to worry about the light leaking since I am messing with the electrical conduit. I just don't want to cause additional problems. I am very handy with tools and we actually installed our own pool with a little help from a knowledgeable friend.

Okay, let's start over. To my knowledge, you are not able to unscrew your bulb and replace it with a LED bulb. TO MY KNOWLEDGE!

With that said, replacing a "fixture" is not that complicated, maybe even easier by some standards. Locate your breaker for the light. It sould be independent of your pool equipment as your light is 110v (110-120v argueably). Your pool equipment is 220v (220-240v argueably). So your lights should be on their own breaker, find it! Turn it off! Now find the junction box behind your light. It should look like a wall plate with no plug, usually with in 50' of your light. There should be 2 conduits coming into your juction box. one copper one plastic. The wire coming out of the copper conduit goes to your light! Tie a nylon string to these wires. Then unscrew the phillips head screw holding your light into the niche in your pool. Your light "should" float to the surface. Gently pull the wiring (with the nylon string) all the way out. Now you should have a nylon string running from your junction box into your pool and out to your pool deck. Take your new light, still in the box, and place it on the pool deck near the light location. tie the string to the end of your new light. Ask for someone to gently pull the string as you gently glide the new wire into the hole in the pool light niche (this can be tricky don't force anything). Then feed the cord in while someone pulls the string until your new wire appears in your junction box. Your new wire should be "too long" continue to pull the wire through til you have just enough cord that the light will lay on the pool deck and run to the junction box. Connect your wires, green to green white to white and black to black. Now the fun. spin the cord around the new light so that the wire is wrapped around the new light and so it will fit nicely into the niche. The trick is spin the light down into the pool wrapping the wire around, then slide it into the niche, replace the screw and turn on your new LED light! Simpler than replacing a bulb and gasket in some cases!!!!!

There should be no concern about swimming with a light on!!! Your pool is grounded and your light is tied to a breaker. In most cases it's tied to a GFCI before ever going to a breaker, this is a double check! It's also an easy indicator that your whole light assembly is out rather than just a bulb.

If you want to eliminate a step or two, use the old light cord as your "fish, or nylon string" Cut the old fixture wire right up against the fixture leaving as much cord as possible. Next strip the black insulation back from the three wires, then cut two of the wires off leaving just one wire. Do the same to the end of the wire on the new fixture. Don't cut the wire on the new fixture in the same place as the old fixture!!!

Then loop the two wires together

The wire i used is not light cord wire! light cord wire will wrap tighter. Tape the connection when you are done, and its ready to pull.

Picture009.jpg

This works well with 3/4" conduit. I have done it with 1/2" and got lucky. You need to be aware of how big your connection is so it will slide easily thru the conduit.

There are LED replacement bulbs than can fit in the standard incandescent pool light fixture. These are not manufacturer approved replacement bulbs, are not UL listed for use in these fixtures, even though they were "designed" for them. The use of them is entirely on the pool owner. If I put one in my pool and Murphy come calling to prove his rules, it's on me. Thats not to say that these bulbs won't work, it is saying I am not willing to risk it. Some appear to be quite bright and may offer significant energy savings or color that wasn't available before to these light systems.

A LED fixture has no replaceable bulb. The IntelliBrite and Color Logics fixtures generate significantly more lumens (actual light) than the replacement bulbs such as the Color Splash.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

There is a node, I think t is called Light Probe. Basically what it does when applied is make the object look like it is lit even with no lights in the scene. However it does not cast light.

Hope this helps.

What does a computer rendering technique for drawing have to do with lighting a pool with LED lighting? Please stay on topic!

• 6 years later...

Now led color pool light is very common,  a 500W traditional bulb can replaced by a 35W led color light, and color led pool light bulb have remote control and switch control

Before buy, you need check what the voltage your pool light  current use 120V or 12V.  Buying online now is very easy ,like amazon,ebay...etc. Here has two post guide for How to change swimming pool light bulb to led and How to choose a inground pool led lights to replace Incandescent bulb