Advice For Choosing To Neglect Pool.

jbryan

Well basically it boils down to this!

For the first time in my working career I will be unemployed come Monday morning. I have a nice 2650 Single story home in the outskirts of Las Vegas / Henderson area. With this pending unemployment I am in the process of reducing every single monthly cost that i can. I told my pool guy that i had to let him go after 10 years, $100 a month. Next thing i want to consider is turning the water off to the pool, my water bill is somewhat high i think and i believe by turning the water off to the pool i can save another $100 per month. Does anyone have any suggestions in any major problems i might run into down the road. I am not going to drain the pool, which i understand is a no no.. but i would like to stop keeping it full all the time. I think i can cut my water bill from $175 a month to $50 at least.

thanks for the help guys..

jbryan

By reading thru this forum, you'll see many things discussed individually that will all be possible/likely if the pool is shut down. There are many possible ramifications long term. Since we're currently in the middle of winter, you may not see too many major issues for a couple of months, when the air/water temp come back up. If you've no choice, I'd make sure the equipment is drained so no standing water in the pump/filter, etc. The water in the pool will begin to turn green, then cloudy & green, then it will keep getting worse as it stagnates. Warm water & sunshine are key ingredients for growth of algae, bacteria and other pathogens that you've been keeping at bay with your normal maintenance. Covering the pool will make it less unsightly, but won't reduce any ill effects and may increase growth rate of some of the harmful stuff that prefers shade to sunlight. The interior surface of your pool will deteriorate faster. It's not an "overnight" thing, but will degrade over time. Staining will likely occur, etc. The odor will definitely get unpleasant. Mosquitos and other small insects & little creatures you've not had before will gravitate towards the pool, so it will be less pleasant to be in the back yard. If city inspectors notice the pool thru the fence or if neighbors complain, you may have to contend with health code violations.

I would encourage you 2 make 2 investments. The first is a solar cover. I realize your in a dessert climate, but it sounds like evaporation is a huge investment. The cover will pay for itself. The second investment. Talk to your pool guy. I'd rather reduce my rate, ask for your help, and save myself and you a drain and clean in the future. I have 1 customer that calls me twice a year. And twice a year it's roughly $500.00 and ALOT of my time. 6-12 hours. The said customer could use me nearly year round and have a nice clean pool 12 months out of the year. not to mention the wear and tear done to the pool and equipment from neglect.