Hot Springs Vs Jacuzzi Vs Coast

Roxyspa

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still wondering why Coast doesn't post their warranty on their domestic website.

Not know the answer to that one but I doubt it's anything different to the rest. What do you think?

First of all, a good warranty is partly what it says is covered and partly who is standing behind it (not all manufacturers follow through to the same level). The latter half isn't totally tangible so the former better be simple to read and accessible. I think consumers want to be able to read it for themselves on the company website, they don’t want to have to assume it is equivalent to others or have to go to the dealer to see it.

I know for instance Catalina doesn't post theirs and it’s for a very good reason, their warranty is pro-rated and they don't want people to see that so it’s like finding a white whale to see theirs. I have NO idea why Coast doesn't post theirs but that leaves us to wonder why at a minimum while others will speculate and maybe think there is something to its absence.

I'm still wondering why Coast doesn't post their warranty on their domestic website.

Not know the answer to that one but I doubt it's anything different to the rest. What do you think?

First of all, a good warranty is partly what it says is covered and partly who is standing behind it (not all manufacturers follow through to the same level). The latter half isn't totally tangible so the former better be simple to read and accessible. I think consumers want to be able to read it for themselves on the company website, they don’t want to have to assume it is equivalent to others or have to go to the dealer to see it.

I know for instance Catalina doesn't post theirs and it’s for a very good reason, their warranty is pro-rated and they don't want people to see that so it’s like finding a white whale to see theirs. I have NO idea why Coast doesn't post theirs but that leaves us to wonder why at a minimum while others will speculate and maybe think there is something to its absence.

if it is not posted on there website (haven't looked personally) then there is a reason, that reason being it is a sub-par warranty I don't care what any national rep or anyone else associated with the company says...go look at D1, Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance, etc. etc. they all have the warranty on there websites than can be easily accessed in 1 or 2 clicks of the mouse at most

if it is not posted on there website (haven't looked personally) then there is a reason, that reason being it is a sub-par warranty I don't care what any national rep or anyone else associated with the company says...go look at D1, Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance, etc. etc. they all have the warranty on there websites than can be easily accessed in 1 or 2 clicks of the mouse at most

Sometimes a Warranty is only as good as the paper it is written on. What has happened to all the different manufactures that went "Under" who supplied Costco at one time...Gulf Coast, Aruba Spas (Crystal Waters), Infinity Spas, Back Keys and so on. Does Costco honor the warranty?

Just read that Phoenix Spas (California) is closing it's manufacture plant but is trying to work out something with the suppliers to honor the Warranty....that's decent of them if they can pull it off.

I don't have a problem if the manufacture doesn't post their warranty. Why not go directly into the dealers showroom and get them to pull out the warranty manual and explain every section to you so there is no grey area. Then ask if there is a "trip charge" for a service call even though it is under warranty. Ask about Parts & Labor...some manufactures are only offering 90 days for labor.....read the fine print.

While I agree with everyone that it's an omission not to have the warranty on they US website (is there on UK site) if you go to a dealer they should be able to provide you with a copy and ask what each element of that warranty.

The funny thing is that only one person on here with supposedly personal experience of the Coast brand says it's rubbish, while others that have been in the retail side of Spas and sell Coast among other brands rate it very highly. Very confusing messages for anyone considering a Coast tub.

It really made sense to go with a steel frame (no wood to rot) and the big rubber base for the floor. I was always told that full foam was the best, however, with my 2nd hot tub I had a leak and what a nightmare to fix (had it sunken into my deck) not to mention the mess.

Thats funny. I have had 3 steel barbecue grills rust out and they have all sat on the same wooden deck!! Sales spin. Metal rivets get loose and rust out then rattle.

Wood frames have a lifetime warranty and I have never seen one that rotted out. But Maxx isn't the first to do metal frames and the past history with them has been less than stelar.

BTW, I just noticed that the warranty I posted for the Coast Elite series was for North America and on checking it is the same as Sundance and very similar to that of Hotsprings, though HS has something better and others not.

Memo to Coast Spas: get your warranties on your US website.

My Husband & I have had a Vita Spa Elan that came with our home. We LOVED it but it died on us over the holidays SO we find ourselves having the unexpected pleasure of choosing a new spa. Great timing in terms of inventory turnaround sales, and we figured we were a leg up since we already know what we want in a spa. Here is what we want:

1. 45-55 jets that are well positioned within the tub - we are massage people, not soakers

2. a large foot well with foot jets

3. no lounger (never use the one in our Vita)

4. great dealer

5. great manufacturer warranty backed by our dealer

6. good insulation

7 great quality in terms of workmanship, design and company experience/reputation

What we don't want and doesn't impress us is all the bells & whistled to be found in newer spas. We don't need/want a stereo system or waterfalls or fancy LED lighting although we're okay with nice lighting - just not paying a tonne of money extra for it.

Here is our current dilemma:

We looked at Catalina, Strong, Coast, Nordic, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Tiger River & Hotspot. We find ourselves in love with two of the four dealers we've met.

- Our favorite dealer unfortunately sells Coast which we thought were beautiful and we were impressed with their ISO9001 certification and all the other awards they have to show. We were almost decided on a Radiance or Manhattan model UNTIL we read consumer reviews and were terrified by these. We trust the dealer but feel like we'd have to talk ourselves into Coast.

- We love the Hot Springs dealer who, like the Coast lady are a family owned business with a marvelous reputation for service, reliability and customer relations. Hot Springs is also ISO9001 certified and UL/TUV approved. We're quite enamoured with the HS Grandee 2010 but not the sale price of $10,000 since we're still having the cost of disassembling our chalet and removing our old tub, etc. to deal with. We could get the Envoy from HS for $8995 but don't like the lounger; it's much smaller than our Vita and only has 4 seats in addition to the lounger.

- My husband thinks that the size of the Hot Spot Tempo and it's $7000 sticker price makes it appealing but isn't Hot Spot a cheap version of Hot Springs?

- We really like the Jacuzzis that we've looked at but hate the dealer - big box store kind of place!

So what to do?

Can anyone tell us their experience with these 4 brands? We'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about all of these and which spa you'd choose between the ones I've named and why.

Is Coast as bad a manufacturer as we seem to think? They've gone down to a 1 yr warranty on their 2011 spas which I find incomprehensible! Input please?

We're wet testing Hot Springs and Jacuzzi tomorrow.

So grateful for your input!

Roxy

I am amazed at this. Coast Spas does NOT have a one year warranty! That's wrong information. Coast Spas have a lifetime shell warranty across the entire line, 5 years parts and labor on the Luxury Series and 3 Years parts and labor on the Classic and Elite Series for 2011. In addition consumers can purchase an additional 2 year extended warranty on all Coast Spas. thank you

I've had my Coast tub for 7 years and it's still working great. Have been thinking about trading in on a new one just because I like some of those big waterfalls. Also I like the brighter lites on the new. I talked to the dealer in Ohio who we purchased it from....very happy with them. After reading these posts I asked about the warranty. The warranty is between 2 and 5 years depending on the tub for the 2010's in stock and is still up to 5 on the new units. She said that she did offer an extended warranty to a customer(guess that was you) because the tub they were looking at had only a 2 year but they wanted longer. I guess the warranty is less when the tub is less expensive. I have a platium Manhattan.

I've have had no problems on it for years. There was one problem with the lights (they didn't go on) when I first got it but the dealer took care of it right away. I'm sure that you will be fine with the Hot Springs but I would watertest both of them before you decide. My Coast felt more powerful and really got my sore spots better than the others when I tested. I guess when you have a good experience the warranty is less important to you. I'm really not concerned about it and I would never buy an extended warranty because I doubt I would need it.

I am amazed at this. Coast Spas does NOT have a one year warranty! That's wrong information. Coast Spas have a lifetime shell warranty across the entire line, 5 years parts and labor on the Luxury Series and 3 Years parts and labor on the Classic and Elite Series for 2011. In addition consumers can purchase an additional 2 year extended warranty on all Coast Spas. thank you

If you check on the Northwinds "Contractor" Series you will find it carries a 1 yr. Warranty on the Spa Shell, Surface, plumbing, heater, ozonator ,wood or vinyl cabinet...not sure if this covers labor (I'm assuming it does). You are right about the other Elite and Luxury series warranties.

You can also buy the extended warranty.

It really made sense to go with a steel frame (no wood to rot) and the big rubber base for the floor. I was always told that full foam was the best, however, with my 2nd hot tub I had a leak and what a nightmare to fix (had it sunken into my deck) not to mention the mess.

Thats funny. I have had 3 steel barbecue grills rust out and they have all sat on the same wooden deck!! Sales spin. Metal rivets get loose and rust out then rattle.

Wood frames have a lifetime warranty and I have never seen one that rotted out. But Maxx isn't the first to do metal frames and the past history with them has been less than stelar.

Are you saying that maybe we should make BBQ's out of wood because it will last longer? If you have gone through 3 BBQ's I question the quality of BBQ's you purchased and what guage and quality of steel were they? I have had the same one for over 20 yrs (I bought quality the 1st. time). Maybe we should build bridges out of wood because the rivets should pop out also.

A BBQ you are heating to over 400 degrees...I'm not cooking food inside my Steel framed hot tub and I hope it doesn't reach 400 degrees inside the cabinet.

I'm not aware of a manufacture who gives a "Lifetime" Warranty on a wood cabinet...can you name a few because that's a great warranty.

My point of going with a Steel Frame (it is Corrosion Protective) was because where we live near the ocean and with all the rain we get, the moisture is hard on all wood products....Why do you think they came out with "Trex" decking....why do so many manufactures offer Synthetic vinyl cabinets or the Slate rock look?

It's not a Sales Spin because the manufacture also offers hot tubs with wood frames as well...it's the customers choice...let them make the decision.

Next time use a better analogy besides a BBQ.

Are you saying that maybe we should make BBQ's out of wood because it will last longer? If you have gone through 3 BBQ's I question the quality of BBQ's you purchased and what guage and quality of steel were they? I have had the same one for over 20 yrs (I bought quality the 1st. time). Maybe we should build bridges out of wood because the rivets should pop out also.

A BBQ you are heating to over 400 degrees...I'm not cooking food inside my Steel framed hot tub and I hope it doesn't reach 400 degrees inside the cabinet.

I'm not aware of a manufacture who gives a "Lifetime" Warranty on a wood cabinet...can you name a few because that's a great warranty.

My point of going with a Steel Frame (it is Corrosion Protective) was because where we live near the ocean and with all the rain we get, the moisture is hard on all wood products....Why do you think they came out with "Trex" decking....why do so many manufactures offer Synthetic vinyl cabinets or the Slate rock look?

It's not a Sales Spin because the manufacture also offers hot tubs with wood frames as well...it's the customers choice...let them make the decision.

Very good point, I was considering replacing the decking at my house and did a search on Trex decking or one of it's alternatives and found that it's used on the walkways of seaside piers instead of traditional wood. Makes you wonder why tub companies haven't considered it?

Trex decking is not used for the frame on a hot tub! We are comparing a thin cheesy riveted metal frame to a solid 2x4 treated wood frame on a hot tub. And anyone who thinks metal frames for a hot tub are better than a wood frame must have looked at a crappy brand that had 2x2 or 1x2 framing that was not treated. And anyone who thinks metal framing will last longer has been missguided. All Quality hot tub brands have a lifetime warranty on the frame. Go look for yourself unless you truely want me to name a few. You mentioned that a metal frame was better and won't rot. That is not true,, in an ocean invironment the thin metal used in a hot tub frame will rust faster and deteriorate quicker than a good quality wood frame. I have seen it and will continue to see it.

But your welcome to believe what you want.

Oh and we do build bridges out of wood. Some of them are still standing after hundreds of years. While the current life span on the bridges built today is 50 years. That's also a bad analogy. There's other reasons wood isn't used for bridges. Spans, cost, load limits.

Metal has it's place and is a good product. But there are way to many variables to say it's better than wood. Take a metal framing stud and run it over with your car, do the same with a wood framing stud, tell me which survives? Set a treated wood stud outside in a wet area, set a ungalvinized metal stud outside in a wet area and see which lasts longer. Do you know exactly how good of a job or how thick and strong the galvinizing is on the metal in a hot tub frame? Because I have seen galvinizing dip tanks and it can be done cheap and it can be done right and anything in between.

I would guess the hut tub manufacturers have a galvinized coating that will last for 7 years because that is a life time in warranty speak.

Metal is fine for a hut tub frame if it is done correctly. I have seen to many loose rivets, rusted frameing and screws to say it's better. I have also seen 20 year old wood frames with no sign on deterioration.

If you want to talk composite or plastic look at Great Lakes and then come talk.

Trex decking is not used for the frame on a hot tub! We are comparing a thin cheesy riveted metal frame to a solid 2x4 treated wood frame on a hot tub. And anyone who thinks metal frames for a hot tub are better than a wood frame must have looked at a crappy brand that had 2x2 or 1x2 framing that was not treated. And anyone who thinks metal framing will last longer has been missguided. All Quality hot tub brands have a lifetime warranty on the frame. Go look for yourself unless you truely want me to name a few. You mentioned that a metal frame was better and won't rot. That is not true,, in an ocean invironment the thin metal used in a hot tub frame will rust faster and deteriorate quicker than a good quality wood frame. I have seen it and will continue to see it.

But your welcome to believe what you want.

Oh and we do build bridges out of wood. Some of them are still standing after hundreds of years. While the current life span on the bridges built today is 50 years. That's also a bad analogy. There's other reasons wood isn't used for bridges. Spans, cost, load limits.

Metal has it's place and is a good product. But there are way to many variables to say it's better than wood. Take a metal framing stud and run it over with your car, do the same with a wood framing stud, tell me which survives? Set a treated wood stud outside in a wet area, set a ungalvinized metal stud outside in a wet area and see which lasts longer. Do you know exactly how good of a job or how thick and strong the galvinizing is on the metal in a hot tub frame? Because I have seen galvinizing dip tanks and it can be done cheap and it can be done right and anything in between.

I would guess the hut tub manufacturers have a galvinized coating that will last for 7 years because that is a life time in warranty speak.

Metal is fine for a hut tub frame if it is done correctly. I have seen to many loose rivets, rusted frameing and screws to say it's better. I have also seen 20 year old wood frames with no sign on deterioration.

If you want to talk composite or plastic look at Great Lakes and then come talk.

Yes, I would be interested in knowing the manufacture's name who have a lifetime Warranty on the wood framing (are you saying that it is only 7yrs. as well). What about termites....do they like wood or Steel?

I'm not here to bash wood frames, I was only mentioning why I chose to go with the steel framing. Yes, there are cheesy cheap metal frames out there....do we judge every frame the same just like you are talking about wood frames.

What brand do you sell because it is obviously wood framing.....how many manufactures use a true "Pressure Treated" wood for the framing....I see it on the base sometimes.

If designed right and engineered to exact tolerances I'm sure both will work.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....it's only a Hot Tub.

What brand do you sell because it is obviously wood framing.....how many manufactures use a true "Pressure Treated" wood for the framing....I see it on the base sometimes.

I don't sell any brand I am just like it says on my signature an INDEPENDENT repair bozo. And I will work on any brand metal frame or wood, unless....a dealer wants me to wait for payment more than 10 days from them. If I get paid for my work within 10 days or from the customer direct then the brand is of no consequense. I've seen hundreds of brands, well maybe not quite a hundred.

Sorry I can't relate to termites, this is northern Minnesota. Up here Marquis, Beach, D1, Sundance and Hot Springs and these manufacturers value lines are sold on the high end. Cal, Great Lakes, and Emerald between several box store brands that change every few months on the low end are what's sold. Pick your own favorite, I have mine. Coleman/Maxx was here for a while but didn't last. Can't tell you the specifics of why but I do have some solid speculation.

Oh and I forgot, and sorry to be the one to break this to ya. Lifetime does not really mean lifetime. There are laws regarding how a life time warranty works to protect manufacturers. Usually the fine print in a warranty will spell out lifetime and how it works. 7 years was the most recent one I had to deal with and it was on a faucet. Check it out, or I will and find some wording. The ones I have dealt with left it discretionary to the manufacturer and then only after you sent them the product (yea, hot tubs included) for their inspection at your cost. Then there was pro-rating.

Here's a good article on it. I guess we could read some tub warrantys also.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/lamb/0004.htm

Yes, I would be interested in knowing the manufacture's name who have a lifetime Warranty on the wood framing (are you saying that it is only 7yrs. as well). What about termites....do they like wood or Steel?

I'm not here to bash wood frames, I was only mentioning why I chose to go with the steel framing. Yes, there are cheesy cheap metal frames out there....do we judge every frame the same just like you are talking about wood frames.

If designed right and engineered to exact tolerances I'm sure both will work.

how much of an up-charge is it going to steel vs. wood?