Hot Springs Vs Jacuzzi Vs Coast

Roxyspa

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be some happy customers out there since they sell so many! ;)

And half of the unhappy ones are probably the same person under a different alias. ;)

There's a fact of life that's very true, no one really comments when everything is rosy but when it's not they shout long and hard from every rooftop and to anyone who'll listen. :P

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on here for quite some time, but decided it was time to chime in here. We are a new Coast dealer and have recently been to the international dealer conference out in beautiful British Columbia. I have seen all of the new features, options, warranties, etc for 2011. First off, I can clarify 100% that Coast Spas has NOT dropped to a 1 year warranty. All of the series come standard with a full 3 year warranty. This includes parts and labour and they actually offer the same if not better warranty then most on the "hidden" components - I.E. jet internals, cabinets, LED lights, etc.

On the note of the plastic bottom stapled to the frame: Coast offers an upgrade to a CoastGuard bottom which is actually an extremely thick composite bottom that completely covers all of the wooden frame on the bottom and sides. Very similar to the Arctic Forever floor at a lower price (at least in our market area!)

Hope this helps.

Joe

Joe, I must say I am truly baffled by your feedback re: Coast warranty. I'm not kidding you, the dealer here in Ohio who desperately wants to sell us a spa is the one who told us last Friday that she had just been on the phone with execs at Coast to oppose their move to lower warranties to 1 yr. She was told they are taking her comments under advisement and she's hoping that others would give the same "this is unacceptable" feedback. When I inquired why they were doing this and in our original discussions, why they offer 2-3 yr warranties on older spas, she told us that Coast feels it is better to save its customers the money re: the cost of extra years of warranty. The interesting thing however is that they have not reduced the cost of their spas so who's saving money in the end?

As I've said in previous comments, I just couldn't put my money on Coast but I do believe once they tweek some of their issues, that they have a leg-up on everyone when it comes to design and innovation. That's just my opinion. They make a BEAUTIFUL spa!

I'd be interested in finding out whether warranties are the same in Canada vs the U.S.

My Husband & I have had a Vita Spa Elan that came with our home. We LOVED it but it died on us over the holidays SO we find ourselves having the unexpected pleasure of choosing a new spa. Great timing in terms of inventory turnaround sales, and we figured we were a leg up since we already know what we want in a spa. Here is what we want:

1. 45-55 jets that are well positioned within the tub - we are massage people, not soakers

2. a large foot well with foot jets

3. no lounger (never use the one in our Vita)

4. great dealer

5. great manufacturer warranty backed by our dealer

6. good insulation

7 great quality in terms of workmanship, design and company experience/reputation

What we don't want and doesn't impress us is all the bells & whistled to be found in newer spas. We don't need/want a stereo system or waterfalls or fancy LED lighting although we're okay with nice lighting - just not paying a tonne of money extra for it.

Here is our current dilemma:

We looked at Catalina, Strong, Coast, Nordic, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Tiger River & Hotspot. We find ourselves in love with two of the four dealers we've met.

- Our favorite dealer unfortunately sells Coast which we thought were beautiful and we were impressed with their ISO9001 certification and all the other awards they have to show. We were almost decided on a Radiance or Manhattan model UNTIL we read consumer reviews and were terrified by these. We trust the dealer but feel like we'd have to talk ourselves into Coast.

- We love the Hot Springs dealer who, like the Coast lady are a family owned business with a marvelous reputation for service, reliability and customer relations. Hot Springs is also ISO9001 certified and UL/TUV approved. We're quite enamoured with the HS Grandee 2010 but not the sale price of $10,000 since we're still having the cost of disassembling our chalet and removing our old tub, etc. to deal with. We could get the Envoy from HS for $8995 but don't like the lounger; it's much smaller than our Vita and only has 4 seats in addition to the lounger.

- My husband thinks that the size of the Hot Spot Tempo and it's $7000 sticker price makes it appealing but isn't Hot Spot a cheap version of Hot Springs?

- We really like the Jacuzzis that we've looked at but hate the dealer - big box store kind of place!

So what to do?

Can anyone tell us their experience with these 4 brands? We'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about all of these and which spa you'd choose between the ones I've named and why.

Is Coast as bad a manufacturer as we seem to think? They've gone down to a 1 yr warranty on their 2011 spas which I find incomprehensible! Input please?

We're wet testing Hot Springs and Jacuzzi tomorrow.

So grateful for your input!

Roxy

as a previous coast spa factory trained tech(8 years) i will tell you to stay away from the coast spa they are not as good as they claim to be they up rate the pumps (yellow or blue 5hp are only 4hp)they are a poorly made tub under built and over priced.In my years of fixing spa the ones i like most to work on are the Jacuzzi line they have one of the best and knowledgeable support teams that i have dealt with and the spa's are easy to fix.the problems i have had to fix on coast crap are to much to list here. their is only two people here promoting these things 1 is a dealer so the opinion offered by them is biased and the other is some untrained know-it-all type of guy that just bought his first tub and now as something to say about everything .

DB, whilst I appreciate your feedback I honestly don't believe that anyone commenting in this thread has been self-promoting, nor the I think that the new Coast owner sounded like a know-it-all in any way. He's happy with his new spa and shared that. I appreciate all honest feedback - that's why I've asked the question! You feedback sounds more like someone with an "agenda" than anyone else's. Believe me I'm not trying to offend you, however the way you come across, I have to wonder how/why your relationship with Coast factory ended. Are you simply a disenchanted employee?

Hope you see my point and thanks again for your input!

My Husband & I have had a Vita Spa Elan that came with our home. We LOVED it but it died on us over the holidays SO we find ourselves having the unexpected pleasure of choosing a new spa. Great timing in terms of inventory turnaround sales, and we figured we were a leg up since we already know what we want in a spa. Here is what we want:

1. 45-55 jets that are well positioned within the tub - we are massage people, not soakers

2. a large foot well with foot jets

3. no lounger (never use the one in our Vita)

4. great dealer

5. great manufacturer warranty backed by our dealer

6. good insulation

7 great quality in terms of workmanship, design and company experience/reputation

What we don't want and doesn't impress us is all the bells & whistled to be found in newer spas. We don't need/want a stereo system or waterfalls or fancy LED lighting although we're okay with nice lighting - just not paying a tonne of money extra for it.

Here is our current dilemma:

We looked at Catalina, Strong, Coast, Nordic, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Tiger River & Hotspot. We find ourselves in love with two of the four dealers we've met.

- Our favorite dealer unfortunately sells Coast which we thought were beautiful and we were impressed with their ISO9001 certification and all the other awards they have to show. We were almost decided on a Radiance or Manhattan model UNTIL we read consumer reviews and were terrified by these. We trust the dealer but feel like we'd have to talk ourselves into Coast.

- We love the Hot Springs dealer who, like the Coast lady are a family owned business with a marvelous reputation for service, reliability and customer relations. Hot Springs is also ISO9001 certified and UL/TUV approved. We're quite enamoured with the HS Grandee 2010 but not the sale price of $10,000 since we're still having the cost of disassembling our chalet and removing our old tub, etc. to deal with. We could get the Envoy from HS for $8995 but don't like the lounger; it's much smaller than our Vita and only has 4 seats in addition to the lounger.

- My husband thinks that the size of the Hot Spot Tempo and it's $7000 sticker price makes it appealing but isn't Hot Spot a cheap version of Hot Springs?

- We really like the Jacuzzis that we've looked at but hate the dealer - big box store kind of place!

So what to do?

Can anyone tell us their experience with these 4 brands? We'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about all of these and which spa you'd choose between the ones I've named and why.

Is Coast as bad a manufacturer as we seem to think? They've gone down to a 1 yr warranty on their 2011 spas which I find incomprehensible! Input please?

We're wet testing Hot Springs and Jacuzzi tomorrow.

So grateful for your input!

Roxy

as a previous coast spa factory trained tech(8 years) i will tell you to stay away from the coast spa they are not as good as they claim to be they up rate the pumps (yellow or blue 5hp are only 4hp)they are a poorly made tub under built and over priced.In my years of fixing spa the ones i like most to work on are the Jacuzzi line they have one of the best and knowledgeable support teams that i have dealt with and the spa's are easy to fix.the problems i have had to fix on coast crap are to much to list here. their is only two people here promoting these things 1 is a dealer so the opinion offered by them is biased and the other is some untrained know-it-all type of guy that just bought his first tub and now as something to say about everything .

DB, whilst I appreciate your feedback I honestly don't believe that anyone commenting in this thread has been self-promoting, nor the I think that the new Coast owner sounded like a know-it-all in any way. He's happy with his new spa and shared that. I appreciate all honest feedback - that's why I've asked the question! You feedback sounds more like someone with an "agenda" than anyone else's. Believe me I'm not trying to offend you, however the way you come across, I have to wonder how/why your relationship with Coast factory ended. Are you simply a disenchanted employee?

Hope you see my point and thanks again for your input!

you are right i do have an agenda. it is to tell all that will listen to how poor coast spa is to deals with my relationship ended with coast when i installed a spa that had 11 factory failures and coast would not take back the spa their response was to tell the owner that the spa would be fixed in their yard and if the spa had been "wet tested"as they had claimed none of these issues would have made it to the field(spa pak had NO sotfware installed) all in all the thing was a lemon big time .as for the new owner if you read his posts you will find that he has a post a day on here about anything and everything.back to coast,the tech support was at best nonexistence or they would take a day to get back to you if at all.i could go on yet not really worth my time

WOW, it's amazing how there are so many different stories of "Who said This" and that person "Said That". I've only been on one Spa discussion on all the Forums posted and it is all attacking Coast Spas. I used to do some tradeshows for the dealers years ago and yes, you would hear of some issues but the dealer would take care of their customers.

You can't tell me that there is not a brand of hot tubs that never have issues from Warranty etc. It comes down to the dealers service dept to take control of the situation...it does help if the manufacture backs them up as well.

I did make a call to a Coast Spa dealer (been with Coast for over 14 yrs) to get the low down on the Warranty for 2011. Someone on this Forum made the statement that all Coast Spas Series have a 1 yr, Warranty is false. My next call will be to dealer in Ohio as I know her personally and will ask her if the USA warranty is different from the Canadian.

As far as the disgruntled service techs...they still got paid to fix the hot tubs....isn't that what they get paid for....who cares if the factory made a mistake...we are all humans...suck it up and get the spa running.

Coast Spas is my competition...there is no need to bash a competitor....show your features and provide a good presentation and let the customer make an educated decision.

Keep things positive....these are my last words on this Spa topic....it's been interesting but must focus my time elsewhere. I will check periodically and read some blogs...Happy tubbin everyone.

WOW, it's amazing how there are so many different stories of "Who said This" and that person "Said That". I've only been on one Spa discussion on all the Forums posted and it is all attacking Coast Spas. I used to do some tradeshows for the dealers years ago and yes, you would hear of some issues but the dealer would take care of their customers.

You can't tell me that there is not a brand of hot tubs that never have issues from Warranty etc. It comes down to the dealers service dept to take control of the situation...it does help if the manufacture backs them up as well.

I did make a call to a Coast Spa dealer (been with Coast for over 14 yrs) to get the low down on the Warranty for 2011. Someone on this Forum made the statement that all Coast Spas Series have a 1 yr, Warranty is false. My next call will be to dealer in Ohio as I know her personally and will ask her if the USA warranty is different from the Canadian.

As far as the disgruntled service techs...they still got paid to fix the hot tubs....isn't that what they get paid for....who cares if the factory made a mistake...we are all humans...suck it up and get the spa running.

Coast Spas is my competition...there is no need to bash a competitor....show your features and provide a good presentation and let the customer make an educated decision.

Keep things positive....these are my last words on this Spa topic....it's been interesting but must focus my time elsewhere. I will check periodically and read some blogs...Happy tubbin everyone.

Finally a bit of sanity.

DB is a one manned band on a crusade to discredit the Coast brand at every opportunity, remember when I said half the unhappy owner comments where probably coming from just one person, well bingo. ;)

Oh and I certainly don't think I know it all, ask waterbear if he believe that to be true because I am constantly bending his ear for advice. :P All I am is a owner of a hot tub that so far has been problem free and appears to be built as good as any of the others I considered when doing my research.

Well stated Soak4life!!! Thanks

Be sure and get the ACE system. My Vanguard has been running since November and has been spot-on after the initial set-up. Have not had to add one chemical. Couldn't be happier with it.

You might also consider upgrading (or get them to throw in)the TriX filters which will last longer and can be cleaned in the dishwasher and will last longer.

On the note of the plastic bottom stapled to the frame: Coast offers an upgrade to a CoastGuard bottom which is actually an extremely thick composite bottom that completely covers all of the wooden frame on the bottom and sides. Very similar to the Arctic Forever floor at a lower price (at least in our market area!)

Hope this helps.

Joe

That's the base I got, don't know if it's that benefical but it was done in the deal of the tub and I thought it couldn't hurt having it.

On the subject of frames and damage to the shell, etc., is it not likely that some of the damage to shells, frames and leakages are cause by tub not being mount to a level and secure base that was properly design for the job. I watched over the entire installation of my concrete base to make sure it was properly done and perfectly level and the result of this is that my negative edge on my tub that runs the length of one side and the water falling over the entire edge. Getting the groundwork done right first is so important. I just wonder how many tubs are not mounted per manufacturer's specifications and dealers cut corners to get/kept a sale. :rolleyes:

You might also consider upgrading (or get them to throw in)the TriX filters which will last longer and can be cleaned in the dishwasher and will last longer.

The brother-in-law who has a Hotsprings had the triX filters but has since switched back due to cost, over here the difference in price between them and normal filters appears to be considerable, is that the same where you are from?

P.S.

Though they definitely did last him longer until they split down the outer edge of the pleats, probably his fault I don't doubt.

That's the base I got, don't know if it's that benefical but it was done in the deal of the tub and I thought it couldn't hurt having it.

On the subject of frames and damage to the shell, etc., is it not likely that some of the damage to shells, frames and leakages are cause by tub not being mount to a level and secure base that was properly design for the job. I watched over the entire installation of my concrete base to make sure it was properly done and perfectly level and the result of this is that my negative edge on my tub that runs the length of one side and the water falling over the entire edge. Getting the groundwork done right first is so important. I just wonder how many tubs are not mounted per manufacturer's specifications and dealers cut corners to get/kept a sale. :rolleyes:

It's not a common upgrade we sell - I'm fairly certain it is overkill, but at the end of the day it doesn't hurt and is fairly inexpensive.

Joe

Joe, I must say I am truly baffled by your feedback re: Coast warranty. I'm not kidding you, the dealer here in Ohio who desperately wants to sell us a spa is the one who told us last Friday that she had just been on the phone with execs at Coast to oppose their move to lower warranties to 1 yr. She was told they are taking her comments under advisement and she's hoping that others would give the same "this is unacceptable" feedback. When I inquired why they were doing this and in our original discussions, why they offer 2-3 yr warranties on older spas, she told us that Coast feels it is better to save its customers the money re: the cost of extra years of warranty. The interesting thing however is that they have not reduced the cost of their spas so who's saving money in the end?

As I've said in previous comments, I just couldn't put my money on Coast but I do believe once they tweek some of their issues, that they have a leg-up on everyone when it comes to design and innovation. That's just my opinion. They make a BEAUTIFUL spa!

I'd be interested in finding out whether warranties are the same in Canada vs the U.S.

I have absolutely no idea if there is a difference in the US vs here in Canada, but I can safely tell you that I have read through absolutely all of the 2011 warranties and none of them are giving the equipment, plumbing, electronics anything under 3 years.

Joe

Well, one thing that would make it clear was if they posted the warranty info on their website, which they don't. This always makes me think twice about a company and why they would exclude that info, as it is pretty important to most consumers.

I think the websites of spa makers can say a lot about who I'd feel comfortable looking closer at and who have red flags that would make me hesitate.

-The ones I'd do business with have dealer locators on their websites where you put in your zip code and it tells you who is local to you. They're not fishing for your information while some like Master (and others) still have the old "send us your address and telephone number (both required) and we'll get back to you"! Yeah, like I want to do that!?

-The ones I'd do business with list actual/continuous HorsePower for their pumps. Others still merely list the ultra shady Brake HP which is solely used to try to decieve the shopper into thinking they are using "bigger" pumps than reality.

-The ones I'd do business with clearly post their warranty information so you can read it and compare it to others. Some still have no warranty info on their website. I can only conclude one thing from that lack of openness!

Most people have 3, 4, 5 or more brand options when shopping for a spa. Many will research on their computer before stepping foot in dealer showrooms and just based on thier website information some would get the ax if I were shoppping.

Soak4life is correct about the contractor series having a one year warranty, the Northwinds series that is.

Here's the link to the PDF warranty details I found online.

http://www.coasthottub.co.uk/images/spas/pdf/warranties/2009_-_int_nw_contractor.pdf

This is it's cheapest bare bones series as far as I'm aware.

Here's the Coast Elite series warranty

http://www.coasthottub.co.uk/images/spas/pdf/warranties/2009_-_(na)_coast_elite.pdf

I must admit that this is what I got but don't know for sure whether this has changed but I do wonder if the OP was looked at the Contractor series and not the Elite or above.

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's the link to all their warranties on their website.

http://www.coasthottub.co.uk/downloads.php

Hmmm, I went to their website and didn't see any warranty information but then saw your link. In looking closer I see you are posting a link to their UK website but on their North American website I see no such link. I do see a spot for warranty registration but nothing to show their actual detailed warranty, unless I'm missing something.

I wonder why?

http://www.coastspas.com/coastspa.php

Hmmm, I went to their website and didn't see any warranty information but then saw your link. In looking closer I see you are posting a link to their UK website but on their North American website I see no such link. I do see a spot for warranty registration but nothing to show their actual detailed warranty, unless I'm missing something.

I wonder why?

It is odd, especially as they mention the link to the warranties for all models in their FQA section of the site. I wonder is there something missing on that page? I doubt there would be a difference in the two warranties on either site but that's only a rough guess as I don't really know, but Purewater said the warranties in Canada is the same as we get over here so I reckon it's the same everywhere.

Surely that's the way it is for the likes of HotSprings, Sundance or most of the others is it not?

It is odd, especially as they mention the link to the warranties for all models in their FQA section of the site. I wonder is there something missing on that page? I doubt there would be a difference in the two warranties on either site but that's only a rough guess as I don't really know, but Purewater said the warranties in Canada is the same as we get over here so I reckon it's the same everywhere.

Surely that's the way it is for the likes of HotSprings, Sundance or most of the others is it not?

I've requested it to the VP of Coast to have the warranties added to their website - we'll see what happens!

Joe

I've requested it to the VP of Coast to have the warranties added to their website - we'll see what happens!

Joe

I wonder why?

I think this has come up before about the warranties not being on there so I don't think this is something new. I certainly don't think its an oversight by Coast. Maybe there is something about selling in Europe where they are required to display it there.

I think this has come up before about the warranties not being on there so I don't think this is something new. I certainly don't think its an oversight by Coast. Maybe there is something about selling in Europe where they are required to display it there.

On it or not, the question that must be asked is whether it's the same as Europe, I reckon it is but as Soak4life already give a number to the VP of sales it is very easy to find out for those interested in buying one.

I know what I have warranty wise and that's all that's important to me.

Soak4life is correct about the contractor series having a one year warranty, the Northwinds series that is.

Here's the link to the PDF warranty details I found online.

http://www.coasthottub.co.uk/images/spas/pdf/warranties/2009_-_int_nw_contractor.pdf

This is it's cheapest bare bones series as far as I'm aware.

Here's the Coast Elite series warranty

http://www.coasthottub.co.uk/images/spas/pdf/warranties/2009_-_(na)_coast_elite.pdf

I must admit that this is what I got but don't know for sure whether this has changed but I do wonder if the OP was looked at the Contractor series and not the Elite or above.

2009 warranties.

While looking for warranties on Coast products I came across this rather interesting remark

Rogue Hot Tub Traders Face Court (UK)

http://www.poolandspascene.com/c/hot-tubs-spas

An estimated 550 claimants, including 130 members of the consumer action group, Friends With Claims Nationwide, are being kept informed, as the police investigation against Internet spa sellers, the Trade Price Hot Tub Group continues.

It could be some time before the case reaches a conclusion as members of the Staffordshire fraud squad systematically work through 550 statements involving claims against the on-line traders.

In a pre-planned operation in November, five people were arrested at residential addresses in Stafford, Sutton Coldfield, Bassetts Pole and Tamworth on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud. Simon and Katie Foster, Stuart Cox, Jonathan Husselbee and a fifth person, are all connected with the Trade Price Group that sold Chinese manufactured spas via prominent web sites. The five have been bailed pending further investigation. No formal charges have yet been made.

“We have 130 members in our group but there are thought to be more than 500 cases across the country in the last 12 to 18 months,“ says Kay Waterman, the founder of the action group, who has taken on the Trade Price Group with ‘terrier-like’ persistence.

“This is not down to one person; we have all worked hard together as a group to bring these people to justice with very little assistance from the hot tub industry itself,” Kay said.

Emotions within the group are still running high said Ms Waterman who says she contacted every major hot tub brand and hot tub industry officials asking for help and only received one positive response that came from Don Elkington, the owner of Canadian-based Coast Spas, she said.

“The UK Hot Tub industry is pathetic; they left it to us consumers to prove our case while they were ready to duck.

“Yet it is they who stand to gain through increased sales now this rogue trader has been driven out,” she said.

Pool & Spa Scene was the first and only industry magazine to exclusively break the story of Trade Price Group back in June this year after a tip off from Mark Anthony, of Spas and Landscapes, a Coast Spas dealer.

Read more in Pool And Spa Scene magazine…