Hot Springs Vs Jacuzzi Vs Coast

Roxyspa

My Husband & I have had a Vita Spa Elan that came with our home. We LOVED it but it died on us over the holidays SO we find ourselves having the unexpected pleasure of choosing a new spa. Great timing in terms of inventory turnaround sales, and we figured we were a leg up since we already know what we want in a spa. Here is what we want:

1. 45-55 jets that are well positioned within the tub - we are massage people, not soakers

2. a large foot well with foot jets

3. no lounger (never use the one in our Vita)

4. great dealer

5. great manufacturer warranty backed by our dealer

6. good insulation

7 great quality in terms of workmanship, design and company experience/reputation

What we don't want and doesn't impress us is all the bells & whistled to be found in newer spas. We don't need/want a stereo system or waterfalls or fancy LED lighting although we're okay with nice lighting - just not paying a tonne of money extra for it.

Here is our current dilemma:

We looked at Catalina, Strong, Coast, Nordic, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Tiger River & Hotspot. We find ourselves in love with two of the four dealers we've met.

- Our favorite dealer unfortunately sells Coast which we thought were beautiful and we were impressed with their ISO9001 certification and all the other awards they have to show. We were almost decided on a Radiance or Manhattan model UNTIL we read consumer reviews and were terrified by these. We trust the dealer but feel like we'd have to talk ourselves into Coast.

- We love the Hot Springs dealer who, like the Coast lady are a family owned business with a marvelous reputation for service, reliability and customer relations. Hot Springs is also ISO9001 certified and UL/TUV approved. We're quite enamoured with the HS Grandee 2010 but not the sale price of $10,000 since we're still having the cost of disassembling our chalet and removing our old tub, etc. to deal with. We could get the Envoy from HS for $8995 but don't like the lounger; it's much smaller than our Vita and only has 4 seats in addition to the lounger.

- My husband thinks that the size of the Hot Spot Tempo and it's $7000 sticker price makes it appealing but isn't Hot Spot a cheap version of Hot Springs?

- We really like the Jacuzzis that we've looked at but hate the dealer - big box store kind of place!

So what to do?

Can anyone tell us their experience with these 4 brands? We'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about all of these and which spa you'd choose between the ones I've named and why.

Is Coast as bad a manufacturer as we seem to think? They've gone down to a 1 yr warranty on their 2011 spas which I find incomprehensible! Input please?

We're wet testing Hot Springs and Jacuzzi tomorrow.

So grateful for your input!

Roxy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure other more experienced members will be add their voice to this discussion but I was stuck with the same dilema not 9 months ago, I looked at the HotSprings spas and the Jacuzzi along with the Coast but in the end I went for the Coast model simply because I much preferred the dealer selling the product who was a family business selling spas for 12 years. Touch wood my spa has worked without fault and my dealer is but a phone call away, who I have used on several occasions when unsure about something and has always explained everything I need to know.

I also like both other brand, probably the Jacuzzi more so but the dealer was further away and I didn't get the same vibe as I got with the Coast dealer so he got my vote as I believe in people more so than brand.

Find as much as you can about the dealers and how good they sort problems and go with that outcome.

Hope this helps.

I wet tested several modeld and stuck mostly with Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Catalina because those are the dealers in this area. I ended up with a used Sundance Optima mainly because we got a great deal, but also because of the the foot well and all the jets that massage your feet. It does not have a lounger, which I think I would like to have, but with the hump in the middle it makes every corner into somewhat of a lounger feel.

good points, But i believe Jacuzzi owns Sundance, , All these brands are good, but buying from a dealer your comfortable with is always a great choice, But for Coast to only have a 1 year warranty, versus Hot Springs, And Jacuzzi upper lines that have a better warranty might be a better benefit, Catalina is a decent brand but they like to show the bells and whistles,

Everything I have read during my time researching all there brands were that they warranties were roughly on par with each other. When did Coast drop the warranty to 1 year, cause that's different to my warranty only last summer?

We've decided to go with Hot Springs - the Vanguard - although I still think their price tags are quite hefty. Quality and warranty are great though and we like the dealer.

With regard to the Coast warranty change - the dealer told us it is effective on the 2011 models. Something's up with that company - we felt extremely uneasy about this poor warranty and the horrible reviews we've read from owners so in the end, it was what dissuaded us.

Appreciate your input. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated and helpful. We have opted to go with Hot Springs after wet testing. We like the quality and design, not to mention the warranty and the reputation of the dealer. We're going with the Vanguard although the price point of the Limelight series in the Pulse is VERY appealing. We can get that for $8,200 ou the door so giving it some thought still since our order is not yet placed. If anyone has any input with that regard, feel free to drop a note.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated and helpful. We have opted to go with Hot Springs after wet testing. We like the quality and design, not to mention the warranty and the reputation of the dealer. We're going with the Vanguard although the price point of the Limelight series in the Pulse is VERY appealing. We can get that for $8,200 ou the door so giving it some thought still since our order is not yet placed. If anyone has any input with that regard, feel free to drop a note.

Thanks!

Wise move, always go with your guts I say and you felt happiest with the HotSprings and it's dealer. It's funny that we both picked the same HS spa as I too looked at the Vanguard but in the end picked the Coast Cascade Niagara instead. Anyway happy tubbing. ;)

P.S.

I can't speak for US pricing but it sounds a very good price because our dealer was looking £10.5K installed here in the UK, too rich for my blood and his chemical and spares pricing was in my mind excessive.

Coast Spas makes a decent hot tub...the 1 yr. warranty is probably on their Contractor's Series. If you look at their Coast Luxury Series they have a 5 yr. Warranty. I'm not sure what is being announced for the 2011 models.

It's to bad the Jacuzzi dealer was not a good person to deal with....the Jacuzzi has awesome jet massage and comfortable seating...sometimes overpriced because of the name.

I used to own a Coast Spa and a Sundance...I now have the Maax Spas 471....5 yr. warranty on components. We live on the West coast and with all the rain & moisture, the wood cabinet and base just don't last. When I saw the Maax Spas at a home show they were the only ones with the panels off showing the construction.

It really made sense to go with a steel frame (no wood to rot) and the big rubber base for the floor. I was always told that full foam was the best, however, with my 2nd hot tub I had a leak and what a nightmare to fix (had it sunken into my deck) not to mention the mess.

The sales manager explained the difference and it made sense that if there was ever a leak the plumbing was easy to get at....I took a floor model and paid less than $7,000. My power bills are no different and seems to run quieter. My wife loves the neck and shoulder jets. We have kids so I like the idea of the "Lock Out" features.

At the end of the day all hot tubs hold water, produce bubbles and soothes the body...it comes down to what fits your body the best...good warranty and after sales service.....our friends bought from the internet and told me how much money they saved, they now have service issues and can't find anyone to fix it.

Enjoy your new hot tub and take care of the water maintenance.

^ I did wonder about the warranty thing on the Coast, I would have found it rather odd for a company to drop so dramatically on it's warranty.

BTW I got the plastic/rubber base on my Coast as well, so you reckon it was well worth the expense, the saleman suggested it and though it made sense to me I just wasn't completely sure it was money well spent.

Touch wood I'm problem free and enjoying to tub on a weekly basis.

P.S.

Just a suggestion to others, I always bought chemicals from the dealer until I happened to ask the guy that services my swimming pool about chemicals, he does most of the commerical spas in the area and his prices destroyed what I was paying. It may be worthwhile for everyone to check out who services commerical spas in your area and give them a ring, could save yourself buckets.

Also talk to the guys that know a lot about the chemical side of tubbing, guys like waterbear and chem geek, their input and advice will be worth it's weight in gold.

The Coast Spas still have a wood base...all they have done is covered it with the plastic material and stapled it to the wood base. It's still better than the wood sitting in the ground....what did they charge you for it?

You are right about shopping around for chemical prices....I don't mind the dealer making a profit...but a 300% mark up...No Thanks.

Coast Spas makes a decent hot tub...the 1 yr. warranty is probably on their Contractor's Series. If you look at their Coast Luxury Series they have a 5 yr. Warranty. I'm not sure what is being announced for the 2011 models.

It's to bad the Jacuzzi dealer was not a good person to deal with....the Jacuzzi has awesome jet massage and comfortable seating...sometimes overpriced because of the name.

I used to own a Coast Spa and a Sundance...I now have the Maax Spas 471....5 yr. warranty on components. We live on the West coast and with all the rain & moisture, the wood cabinet and base just don't last. When I saw the Maax Spas at a home show they were the only ones with the panels off showing the construction.

It really made sense to go with a steel frame (no wood to rot) and the big rubber base for the floor. I was always told that full foam was the best, however, with my 2nd hot tub I had a leak and what a nightmare to fix (had it sunken into my deck) not to mention the mess.

The sales manager explained the difference and it made sense that if there was ever a leak the plumbing was easy to get at....I took a floor model and paid less than $7,000. My power bills are no different and seems to run quieter. My wife loves the neck and shoulder jets. We have kids so I like the idea of the "Lock Out" features.

At the end of the day all hot tubs hold water, produce bubbles and soothes the body...it comes down to what fits your body the best...good warranty and after sales service.....our friends bought from the internet and told me how much money they saved, they now have service issues and can't find anyone to fix it.

Just an FYI in response to your comment re: Coast Warranty. We have it on good authority from the Coast Dealer we discussed with that ALL of their 2011 models are now only covered by a 1 yr warranty. When my husband told her we'd decided against Coast, she told us we had the option to extend the 2010 2 yr warranty to 5 yrs if we paid $300/yr. No way! We still don't feel confident with Coast because of the bad reviews we've read that identify basically the same 3 problem areas: no honouring of warranty by Coast (not the dealers), leaks, and jets needing replacement within 18 mos or so.

When reading reviews or checking out forums, we expect to find good and bad as reviews are subjective and obviously based on experience. Just because one person has a bad experience, or buys a lemon, doesn't mean the entire company ought to be faulted. Our problem is when you see 9/10 reviews that are bad and the odd one that is positive. That just left us with a bad taste and a fear of this manufacturer that we could not overcome. It's really too bad because we felt Coast was one up on many others when it comes to design and innovation. We're still baffled that they can keep their ISO9001 certification with all the complaints and problems. My husband's a quality guy so he's really wondering.

Oh just an aside. The dealer of Coast that we've spoken with was adament that all consumer reviews and advice on forums is given/written by a bunch of dealers who represent other manufacturers. Sure they are!!!

I would have been interested in reading their financial reports for the past 2 yrs and one can obtain those if you're willing to dish out about $150 - I wasn't since there are many great companies out there to do business with.

Thanks for your feedback! Can't wait for our tub to be delivered and ready for use!

Roxyspa,

congrats on your now spa purchase, enjoy , glad to hear you made a decision , always good to research.......

Thanks! Research??? Yes it's good - we can't do without it but gosh it is EXHAUSTING and takes the fun right out of the process!

We're just glad it's over. With these sub-zero temps we sure miss our spa right now...

Interesting that you have a Maax. I recently found out that they've merged with Vita (the type we owned previously that melted over the holidays). If there had been a dealer close enough to us, we'd have definitely checked them out. Oh well. From everything I've heard and read, I think we'll be happy with our Vanguard!

If that is true with Coast Spas warranty, they are going to lose a lot of business. I have a friend of a friend who is involved with Coast spas and will get the scoop.

I called the Maax Spas dealer and he told me that Maax didn't merge with Vita...Maax bought out Vita as they were going bankrupt. I was told they had problems with their Spa Packs and Maax has converted over to Balboa. I went online and they have some great looking designs that I wished I knew about. The dealer also mentioned that Maax spas is looking at aquiring some other manufactures as there are several that are in financial trouble.

There are so many hot tubs to choose from and at the end of the day as long as the manufacture stands behind the warranty and the dealer takes care of you ....then life is good.

Just an FYI in response to your comment re: Coast Warranty. We have it on good authority from the Coast Dealer we discussed with that ALL of their 2011 models are now only covered by a 1 yr warranty. When my husband told her we'd decided against Coast, she told us we had the option to extend the 2010 2 yr warranty to 5 yrs if we paid $300/yr. No way! We still don't feel confident with Coast because of the bad reviews we've read that identify basically the same 3 problem areas: no honouring of warranty by Coast (not the dealers), leaks, and jets needing replacement within 18 mos or so.

When reading reviews or checking out forums, we expect to find good and bad as reviews are subjective and obviously based on experience. Just because one person has a bad experience, or buys a lemon, doesn't mean the entire company ought to be faulted. Our problem is when you see 9/10 reviews that are bad and the odd one that is positive. That just left us with a bad taste and a fear of this manufacturer that we could not overcome. It's really too bad because we felt Coast was one up on many others when it comes to design and innovation. We're still baffled that they can keep their ISO9001 certification with all the complaints and problems. My husband's a quality guy so he's really wondering.

Oh just an aside. The dealer of Coast that we've spoken with was adament that all consumer reviews and advice on forums is given/written by a bunch of dealers who represent other manufacturers. Sure they are!!!

I would have been interested in reading their financial reports for the past 2 yrs and one can obtain those if you're willing to dish out about $150 - I wasn't since there are many great companies out there to do business with.

Thanks for your feedback! Can't wait for our tub to be delivered and ready for use!

Hold on, are you telling me that the 2010 Coast models only had a 2 yr warranty? That's what I own and I know for certain that I have the same warranty of parts/shell that HotSprings and Jacuzzi offer, also $300 for an extra 3 yrs peace of mind, cheap money in my opinion, I wished my dealer offered an extra 3 yrs for that figure over and above what I got as I would have broke his arm.

I don't know about how many complaints there has been from Coast customers but even on this forum you will find the number of members reporting faults with their tubs (all brands) is considerable and that includes HotSprings, Jacuzzi, Sundance, etc. If something is running 24/7 then things will breakdown it's a fact of life, they are electrical and have hot water resulting in high moisture, a combination that don't mix well.

I suppose I am the exception to the rule then, a happy Coast owner who hasn't any complaints to make and a tub that hasn't missed a beat.

P.S.

I know happen to agree that there is a hell of a lot of dealer/manufacturer members on all of these forums and they do post BS towards rival brands to promo their own product and in turn their own business. It's a shame it happens and makes life bloody hard for any potential new owner to work out what is true and what is BS. :angry:

If that is true with Coast Spas warranty, they are going to lose a lot of business. I have a friend of a friend who is involved with Coast spas and will get the scoop.

I called the Maax Spas dealer and he told me that Maax didn't merge with Vita...Maax bought out Vita as they were going bankrupt. I was told they had problems with their Spa Packs and Maax has converted over to Balboa. I went online and they have some great looking designs that I wished I knew about. The dealer also mentioned that Maax spas is looking at aquiring some other manufactures as there are several that are in financial trouble.

There are so many hot tubs to choose from and at the end of the day as long as the manufacture stands behind the warranty and the dealer takes care of you ....then life is good.

That makes perfect sense re: Maax buying out Vita vs merger since I'd first heard that Vita had gone bankrupt. Out Vita was 12 yrs old, purring like a kitten and looked brand new. Wish someone in our area carried Maax because we certainly would have looked at them immediately. One of our concerns in choosing a manufacturer was definitely the financial well-being of the company in this economy. It's been a difficult 3 yrs for many and we didn't want to find ourselves with a spa that no one will service in 5 yrs or so.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look up Maax just to see their line-up.

Hold on, are you telling me that the 2010 Coast models only had a 2 yr warranty? That's what I own and I know for certain that I have the same warranty of parts/shell that HotSprings and Jacuzzi offer, also $300 for an extra 3 yrs peace of mind, cheap money in my opinion, I wished my dealer offered an extra 3 yrs for that figure over and above what I got as I would have broke his arm.

I don't know about how many complaints there has been from Coast customers but even on this forum you will find the number of members reporting faults with their tubs (all brands) is considerable and that includes HotSprings, Jacuzzi, Sundance, etc. If something is running 24/7 then things will breakdown it's a fact of life, they are electrical and have hot water resulting in high moisture, a combination that don't mix well.

I suppose I am the exception to the rule then, a happy Coast owner who hasn't any complaints to make and a tub that hasn't missed a beat.

P.S.

I know happen to agree that there is a hell of a lot of dealer/manufacturer members on all of these forums and they do post BS towards rival brands to promo their own product and in turn their own business. It's a shame it happens and makes life bloody hard for any potential new owner to work out what is true and what is BS. :angry:

I dont' doubt that there are goofs out there trying to promote their own brands. That does make it difficult to sort through consumer reviews. I do think the warranty is what frightened us the most. Just didn't want to take that risk...

It is nice to read good feedback from happy Coast owners. There must be some happy customers out there since they sell so many! ;)

There must be some happy customers out there since they sell so many! ;)

And half of the unhappy ones are probably the same person under a different alias. ;)

There's a fact of life that's very true, no one really comments when everything is rosy but when it's not they shout long and hard from every rooftop and to anyone who'll listen. :P

There must be some happy customers out there since they sell so many! ;)

And half of the unhappy ones are probably the same person under a different alias. ;)

There's a fact of life that's very true, no one really comments when everything is rosy but when it's not they shout long and hard from every rooftop and to anyone who'll listen. :P

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on here for quite some time, but decided it was time to chime in here. We are a new Coast dealer and have recently been to the international dealer conference out in beautiful British Columbia. I have seen all of the new features, options, warranties, etc for 2011. First off, I can clarify 100% that Coast Spas has NOT dropped to a 1 year warranty. All of the series come standard with a full 3 year warranty. This includes parts and labour and they actually offer the same if not better warranty then most on the "hidden" components - I.E. jet internals, cabinets, LED lights, etc.

On the note of the plastic bottom stapled to the frame: Coast offers an upgrade to a CoastGuard bottom which is actually an extremely thick composite bottom that completely covers all of the wooden frame on the bottom and sides. Very similar to the Arctic Forever floor at a lower price (at least in our market area!)

Hope this helps.

Joe

My Husband & I have had a Vita Spa Elan that came with our home. We LOVED it but it died on us over the holidays SO we find ourselves having the unexpected pleasure of choosing a new spa. Great timing in terms of inventory turnaround sales, and we figured we were a leg up since we already know what we want in a spa. Here is what we want:

1. 45-55 jets that are well positioned within the tub - we are massage people, not soakers

2. a large foot well with foot jets

3. no lounger (never use the one in our Vita)

4. great dealer

5. great manufacturer warranty backed by our dealer

6. good insulation

7 great quality in terms of workmanship, design and company experience/reputation

What we don't want and doesn't impress us is all the bells & whistled to be found in newer spas. We don't need/want a stereo system or waterfalls or fancy LED lighting although we're okay with nice lighting - just not paying a tonne of money extra for it.

Here is our current dilemma:

We looked at Catalina, Strong, Coast, Nordic, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Tiger River & Hotspot. We find ourselves in love with two of the four dealers we've met.

- Our favorite dealer unfortunately sells Coast which we thought were beautiful and we were impressed with their ISO9001 certification and all the other awards they have to show. We were almost decided on a Radiance or Manhattan model UNTIL we read consumer reviews and were terrified by these. We trust the dealer but feel like we'd have to talk ourselves into Coast.

- We love the Hot Springs dealer who, like the Coast lady are a family owned business with a marvelous reputation for service, reliability and customer relations. Hot Springs is also ISO9001 certified and UL/TUV approved. We're quite enamoured with the HS Grandee 2010 but not the sale price of $10,000 since we're still having the cost of disassembling our chalet and removing our old tub, etc. to deal with. We could get the Envoy from HS for $8995 but don't like the lounger; it's much smaller than our Vita and only has 4 seats in addition to the lounger.

- My husband thinks that the size of the Hot Spot Tempo and it's $7000 sticker price makes it appealing but isn't Hot Spot a cheap version of Hot Springs?

- We really like the Jacuzzis that we've looked at but hate the dealer - big box store kind of place!

So what to do?

Can anyone tell us their experience with these 4 brands? We'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about all of these and which spa you'd choose between the ones I've named and why.

Is Coast as bad a manufacturer as we seem to think? They've gone down to a 1 yr warranty on their 2011 spas which I find incomprehensible! Input please?

We're wet testing Hot Springs and Jacuzzi tomorrow.

So grateful for your input!

Roxy

as a previous coast spa factory trained tech(8 years) i will tell you to stay away from the coast spa they are not as good as they claim to be they up rate the pumps (yellow or blue 5hp are only 4hp)they are a poorly made tub under built and over priced.In my years of fixing spa the ones i like most to work on are the Jacuzzi line they have one of the best and knowledgeable support teams that i have dealt with and the spa's are easy to fix.the problems i have had to fix on coast crap are to much to list here. their is only two people here promoting these things 1 is a dealer so the opinion offered by them is biased and the other is some untrained know-it-all type of guy that just bought his first tub and now as something to say about everything .

It is nice to see the responses here... It is also nice to see a new guy on here representing there brand,,, Yes on these forums there are alot of us that sell brands ans have an agenda of their own... But just because there are a couple of bad apples does not mean the rest are bad... We do like to help with our knowledge we have and share,,, . Yes most we all have our likes, and dislikes, but I cannot speak for others but i do indeed like to help out , anyone,,,,,i do try to stay with facts, and i don't like to use the word exclusive for each brands equipment and the best this and the worlds largest that......It is a great tool on the use of this site to help with questions, and what rumors are not true......

I find it fairly interesting how many people dislike the Coast Spas.. I have to say that after being in the industry just over 10 years, representing and selling a few different brands (Beachcomber, Catalina, Sundance, Artesian) I must say the manufacturing process by Coast absolutely blew me away. I have had the priviledge of seeing all of the above brands (except Catalina) and their manufacturing plants and Coast seemed, im my opinion to be hands down the most meticulous and consistent in every single step of manufacturing process. What is it about them that people are disapointed with? From a lot of the posts I've read, it seems as though it's the dealer that isn't backing the product.

I am a brand new dealer to Coast (as of last fall) and we've had great success with the line. We have had maybe 1 or 2 warranty claims (small problems) and a lot of very happy and satisfied customers.

I also must say that Coast seem to offer a lot more than most manufacturers in regards to how the tub is to be built for each customer. This has proven to be very positive and sucessful. I also have to note that we have a Coast as well as another manufacturer's spa on our showroom floor running, and our entire sales staff is amazed at how crystal clear the water is compared to the other. Not to start any debate whatsoever, but we're running a pressurized style filtration vs circulation pump with micro style filter.. I've always been convinced that a circulation pump with tightly woven filter was the way to go - Coast has opened my eyes a little..

These are all my opinons and thoughts.. please understand I am still new to selling the Coast brand and have always been on the other side selling AGAINST them.

Cheers,

Joe