Variable Speed Pumps Require?

tomtom2

Forget IntelliComm. That is only needed if you do not have IntelliTouch or EasyTouch controllers. It is for those with existing "dumb" control systems like a solar temperature sensor where you connect a simple on/off power signal to the IntelliComm from such a unit to trigger a program on the pump. Again, you do NOT need IntelliComm. You directly connect the IntelliTouch to the pump and program the IntelliTouch directly itself (via its control panel -- I assume you have one, either wired or wireless).

What do you mean you cannot have multiple GPM schedules? Of course you can. I told you that I have a base circulation flow rate when there are no special features turned on (i.e. solar, gas) but I can click a button on my remote control panel in my house and get 48 GPM instead of 26 GPM.

The only limitation is that when using the IntelliTouch controller, Pentair apparently disabled the logic that automatically keeps track of how much has been cumulatively pumped and shuts off early. Perhaps that is what you are referring to. In practice, it is a minor savings since the cost of the base (low) flow rate is fairly low so running a little longer usually isn't a problem, but I agree that it would have been better for them to keep that feature (and it's possible that newer IntelliTouch have an option or have been changed to support this -- mine is now around 3-1/2 years old.

Thanks much for the feedback. I know my Intellitouch i7+3 panel has not been touched in over 5 years. I know the people before me had Solar at one time, but its disconnected. Same with an inline chlorinator that died.

Sorry if Im a broken record.. hopefully I will get this down... if not kick me to the curb...

- install the pump as it was any another 230v pump.

- add in the RS485 cable to my existing i7 Panel to control the pump

- Assuming I need new firmware for my remote keypad to understand what the heck is now going on.. or will the brains from the VF relay info to the keypad in my house?

- set my flows and schedule. Filter. Filter with feature (such as heat)

The confusing end is what is controlling what or which programming is done where.

You've got this right. Your IntelliFlo VF will report to the IntelliTouch which will pass the info to your remote keypad/display. So in my house I can not only create/change programs, turn things on and off, but also see the status of the IntelliFlo including the flow rate. In fact, this is the ONLY way to see the actual flow rate (as calculated by the pump based on RPM and Watts, I presume). There is no real GPM status on the pump itself. Yes, there is a menu item to show it, but it ALWAYS shows the GPM you have entered. If you set an RPM, it will not show you actual GPM and if you set GPM it will not show you the actual GPM ramping up. At the keypad/display, the GPM WILL show correctly and you'll see the pump ramping up and slowly approaching a final state (when you are in a set GPM mode; for RPM I think it just gets to that RPM rapidly).

You can think of the IntelliTouch as being what holds your programs, which is why you are not limited to 4 of them, while the IntelliTouch communicates with the pump to do what it wants by changing ONE of the four programs (the other three are pretty useless -- it only needs one since it only does one thing at a time).

You've got this right. Your IntelliFlo VF will report to the IntelliTouch which will pass the info to your remote keypad/display. So in my house I can not only create/change programs, turn things on and off, but also see the status of the IntelliFlo including the flow rate. In fact, this is the ONLY way to see the actual flow rate (as calculated by the pump based on RPM and Watts, I presume). There is no real GPM status on the pump itself. Yes, there is a menu item to show it, but it ALWAYS shows the GPM you have entered. If you set an RPM, it will not show you actual GPM and if you set GPM it will not show you the actual GPM ramping up. At the keypad/display, the GPM WILL show correctly and you'll see the pump ramping up and slowly approaching a final state (when you are in a set GPM mode; for RPM I think it just gets to that RPM rapidly).

You can think of the IntelliTouch as being what holds your programs, which is why you are not limited to 4 of them, while the IntelliTouch communicates with the pump to do what it wants by changing ONE of the four programs (the other three are pretty useless -- it only needs one since it only does one thing at a time).

Awesome...im not an idiot. So I do need the RS485 cable plugged into my panel. Most likely I need a firmware update though to make this work or do you think my Intellitouch panel will simply just "work" and I can program the pump from the panel in my house no problem.

Thanks much!! Now to find a VF pump and cable online....

You'll have to ask Pentair if you need a firmware update. I'm guessing you don't, but an update might give you some newer features. Call them up and give them relevant info such as a serial number for the IntellTouch. They probably have some sort of special cable since the plug on the pump may not be standard, but again Pentair should know such details.

You'll have to ask Pentair if you need a firmware update. I'm guessing you don't, but an update might give you some newer features. Call them up and give them relevant info such as a serial number for the IntellTouch. They probably have some sort of special cable since the plug on the pump may not be standard, but again Pentair should know such details.

I was chatting online with Jandy for my Laars ESC-400 heater and they are telling me I need 50-70 gpms for that pump... seems like too much to me. Any thoughts?

Gas heaters have a minimum flow rate requirement so that the water in the heated section does not get too hot nor the combined flow with that internally bypassed water is not too hot coming out of the returns. This minimum flow rate is usually a function of the size of the heater. I can't find an online manual for the Laars ESC-400 but generally speaking the minimum flow rate is 1/10th the kBTU/hr rating. So a 400,000 BTU/hr heater may have a minimum flow rate requirement of 40 GPM and for some safety margin you'd probably run at 50 GPM, but I don't think you'd go any higher than that. I have a 250,000 BTU/hr (input) heater that has a minimum flow rate requirement of 30 GPM so I run at 40 GPM when using that heater. However, you should follow the requirement listed for your heater in its manual, but going 10 GPM over that minimum should be sufficient.

Gas heaters have a minimum flow rate requirement so that the water in the heated section does not get too hot nor the combined flow with that internally bypassed water is not too hot coming out of the returns. This minimum flow rate is usually a function of the size of the heater. I can't find an online manual for the Laars ESC-400 but generally speaking the minimum flow rate is 1/10th the kBTU/hr rating. So a 400,000 BTU/hr heater may have a minimum flow rate requirement of 40 GPM and for some safety margin you'd probably run at 50 GPM, but I don't think you'd go any higher than that. I have a 250,000 BTU/hr (input) heater that has a minimum flow rate requirement of 30 GPM so I run at 40 GPM when using that heater. However, you should follow the requirement listed for your heater in its manual, but going 10 GPM over that minimum should be sufficient.

Thanks Spa Guru.. I appreciate the insight. I tried the "ask jandy" live help and he came back said those number, but a minimum of 30 gpm or it will auto shut itself off. It must have a flow rate monitor somehow.