Homade Cartridge Filter Cleaning Solution?

Seahunt

I understand you should soak the cartridge filters in a cleaning solution to remove oils, lotions, etc. The cartridge cleaning solutions sold in my area are pretty expensive and to get enough to do my filters would cost quite a bit of money. Is there a generic or homemade solution that does the same thing as the pool store cartridge cleaners? Thanks!

One cup of REAL TSP-trisodium phosphate (not TSP substitute that is often the only thing available in many localities) or 1 cup of automatic dishwasher detergent powder to every 5 gallons of water. Soak cart overnight in solution (cart should be completely submerged) and rinse well with garden hose using small bore nozzle (the short brass ones that cost about $2-3 work best).

I might add that this will not work if you are using a biguanide based system like Baquaspa, SoftSoak, Revacil, etc. If you are using bigaunide you MUST use the special filter cleaner that is sold along with these systems or you will ruin the filter.

I might add that this will not work if you are using a biguanide based system like Baquaspa, SoftSoak, Revacil, etc. If you are using bigaunide you MUST use the special filter cleaner that is sold along with these systems or you will ruin the filter.

Nope, just plain old chlorine (trichlor and liquid chlorine). Thanks again!

One cup of REAL TSP-trisodium phosphate (not TSP substitute that is often the only thing available in many localities) or 1 cup of automatic dishwasher detergent powder to every 5 gallons of water. Soak cart overnight in solution (cart should be completely submerged) and rinse well with garden hose using small bore nozzle (the short brass ones that cost about $2-3 work best).

after the TSP, soak the element in acid solution (1 to10) to remove any calcium or other build up. Soak it for like 5 hours and then hose it down. Just make sure you do the TSP first.

NO! Do NOT soak it in acid UNLESS there IS a calcium build up...and then, ONLY soak it till any bubbling stops (once the bubbling stops, the calcium is destroyed). Soaking it in acid WILL deteriorate and shorten the life of the filter, but is necessary and/or advisable to remove calcium.

Dr. Spa is right on the money! A good way to test to see if you need to acid wash is to mix up a bit of dilute acid :(10 to 1 dilution or even a 20 to 1 dilution) and put a few drops on the filter. If it fizzes then soak it until the fizzing stops (usually about 15 minutes). If not you do not need to acid wash.

• 1 year later...

A spray won't be enough to degrease. I use a clean garbage can and a about a half a box of cheap powdered dishwasher detergent. This solution also is useful for soaking DE panels. I generally use an 8 hour schedule as a minimum

The body excretes skin oil so even if you don't use lotions for tanning or bug repellents, there is still going to be oils that are absorbed by the pleated material. Bather load plays into this too. What others use may be unknown.

Cleaning weekly will actually shorten a cartridge's life and keep it from filtering as well as it can. For a pool filter, this can also cause other parts such as the middle O-ring and clamp to wear prematurely. If it's really needed weekly due to the environment, the cartridge is undersized. For many spas, the threads that hold the element in place can wear prematurely and the plastic top, bottom, and any bands around the middle of the cartridge meant to separate the pleats.

Unless you have hard water, acid baths aren't needed normally. A 4 -1 water acid solution for a short spell will dissolve any leftover calcium. If it needs to be done, do it after degreasing or that becomes a non-removable goo and the cartridge is toast. If it is needed more than quarterly, your CSI is too positive.

Scott

• 2 years later...