Ph Drifts Down Question, And Taylor Test Kit ?

seabright_sc

Most articles that I read says hot tub PH usually rises over time. We seam to have the opposite effect and I don't know why.

Current sanitation is dichlor. 300 gallon tub used about 20-30 minutes per day 4-6 times per week by my wife and I. Jets run for probably 20 minutes per day.

PH tends to drift down to 7.0 according to taylor test kit. Seems like it was drifting down every week when I checked.

Also... side related problem. I have a heck of a time color matching the PH with Tylor test kit. I know it goes from light orang/yellow for low ph and red/purple for high ph. It seems like my sample will either be that light orange/yellow (7.0), but when I try raise it (baking soda) I only see darker gradients of orange and never really see the redish/purple colors. I read posts about matching up to northern sky/ white background, but this doesn't seem to help. What gives. Thanks for the help.

-Happy New Year.

Most articles that I read says hot tub PH usually rises over time. We seam to have the opposite effect and I don't know why.

Current sanitation is dichlor. 300 gallon tub used about 20-30 minutes per day 4-6 times per week by my wife and I. Jets run for probably 20 minutes per day.

PH tends to drift down to 7.0 according to taylor test kit. Seems like it was drifting down every week when I checked.

Also... side related problem. I have a heck of a time color matching the PH with Tylor test kit. I know it goes from light orang/yellow for low ph and red/purple for high ph. It seems like my sample will either be that light orange/yellow (7.0), but when I try raise it (baking soda) I only see darker gradients of orange and never really see the redish/purple colors. I read posts about matching up to northern sky/ white background, but this doesn't seem to help. What gives. Thanks for the help.

-Happy New Year.

The net effect of using dichlor is acidic. (Initial pH sligtly acidic, acidic reaction when it sanitizes and is reduced to chloride ions=net acidic effect on the water)

Baking soda is not suitable for raising pH, it has a greater effect on TA. Use either soda ash or borax to raise your pH. Borax is a better choice.

What is your TA?

What other chemicals are you using in the tub?

How high is your CYA?

Posting a full set of test results would be most helpful. (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA).

Finally, get a new bottle of pH reagent and see if you get the same results. (Or contact Taylor to see if your reagent is good)