Hot Tub Cover Question

Eric859

I have a hot tub cover that was relatively inexpensive. It just snowed here in NJ and I noticed that all the snow covering the middel seam of the hot tub cover is melted. Obviously this is a problem with poor insulation. I'm sure this is a common problem. Is there a hot tub cover accessory like a strip of insulated material that I can lay over the middle seem that will help? I'm thinking maybe a rubber strip of material that I can just throw over the seam when I'm done and quickly remove when I'm getting in.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Throwing something over the top of the cover wont really help. The area under the hinge, between the two halves needs to be insulated;

seam-seal.jpg

We haven't yet figured out how to make some aftermarket "hinge seal". Every brand of cover has a slightly different gap and the necessary specs of the insulating seal needs to be very exact.... not a one size fits all

I notice the same thing with my cover as well, but with frost not on the seam line. I know my cover only has a hinge seal on the outer edge instead of going the whole length of the seam. My wife took the 8" of snow off before I could see if that melted also. I have the floating cover still sitting in the box and have not had time to cut it to the shape of the inside of my spa yet so I have not tried that to help. Do they really help that much?

I notice the same thing with my cover as well, but with frost not on the seam line. I know my cover only has a hinge seal on the outer edge instead of going the whole length of the seam. My wife took the 8" of snow off before I could see if that melted also. I have the floating cover still sitting in the box and have not had time to cut it to the shape of the inside of my spa yet so I have not tried that to help. Do they really help that much?

There can't really be a universal hinge seal for all covers but talk to your dealer because some covers have that as an option for their particalr design and yes, they are worth the cost.

There can't really be a universal hinge seal for all covers but talk to your dealer because some covers have that as an option for their particalr design and yes, they are worth the cost.

I would expect when I get my next cover that i will make sure they have the full length hinge seal and the cost will be worth it. What do you think about the floating thermal blankets that float on the top of the water? Are those worth the bother for me to cut it to fit. I already own it, but wondered what I would do with it in the winter when we open it up to use with snow on the ground? Do people just drape it over the hard cover hanging on the cover caddy?

The main advantage I find with a floating thermal blanket is that if it's just me in the tub I leave the blanket on but rolled back a little like a bed sheet. Doing this makes a big difference in maintaining the water temp with the cover open, and almost eliminates the heater kicking in. I have noticed a few $ a month reduction in electric. Ouside temps here do get down to single digits.

Bought mine at http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm