What Do People Think Of The Silver Sentinel Filters Compared To Pleated & Micropure Disposable Filters?

PFC5

I have 3 Artic Silver Sentinal filters for $65.00 coming so that I do not have to worry about cleaning the filter in the winter and was told that it had some silver in it to work somewhat like the Nature2 system and also has the same much improved filtration down to 1 micron filtering like the Micropure disposable filters.

What does everyone think of these filters? Anyone have experience with these and the micropure disposable filters? Do they really filter so much better and last so long to make it through the winter without dragging a hose outside and then draining the hose afterwards to avoid it freezing? I read somewhere that some people wash their spa filters in their dishwasher, but I don't like the idea of that stuff getting into the same device I use to clean the dishes.

• 1 month later...

No one has any comments or has used these micropure 1 micron filters here?

I have been using it for about 1 month now and so far so good. It doesn't seem to filter much better than the pleated filters, but at least I do not have to clean it in 2' of snow.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking into the micro pure filter awhile back, i am interested in hearing about your experience with this.

I was looking into it mainly because of the improved filtration, how closely did you 'look' at your water before you installed them. with me, i could/can still see some 'floaties', smaller particles that i am not if the filter is missing them or if its because of the tub design (bypass filtration).

keep this thread posted.

I wasn't overly impressed with it after the first couple of weeks because I rinsed it off in the sink after the first week and then started seeing some tiny white particles along the waterline. But I have since stopped rinsing it and they never came back again, so I am more pleased with it now. I have had it for almost 2 months and I have not had to clean it at all and the water is staying good and clear. The tiny particles I use to see floating in the water are totally gone so it does filter better and not needing to rinse the filter weekly in the winter is nice.

I bought it for use in the winter so I didn't have to rince the pleated filters every week and thank God I bought this. We have had over 75" of snow so far and I cannot imagine trying to rinse the pleated filters outside because I would have had to dig out snow in a decent size area just to rinse the filters. Then I would have had a lot of ice and still had the hassle of draining the hose to bring back inside to avoid it freezing.

I highly recommend these filters for winter use at the least. It takes a big hassle involved for those with snow in winter trying to rinse the pleated filters.

Rinsing the filters off in decent weather is not much of a hassle IMO and I had no problem rinsing the filter off weekly when the weather was good and well above freezing. I will likely go back to a pleated filter during the summer, but I bought 3 of these as a package price of $65.00 for the winter when cleaning the filters was not going to be easy.

• 1 year later...

As I removed the wrapping on a Silver Sentinel I noticed the caution:DO NOT USE water clarifiers. As nobody has mentioned this earlier I thought I would highlight the warning in case anyone is experiencing poor results with their new filter. This might apply if someone had been treating for cloudy water just before switching to this new filter.

I've forgotten my chemistry from long, long ago but I am aware (after 20 years of looking after a swimming pool) that water clarifiers generally are copper-based, intoducing copper ions into the pool to attach to bacteria and impurities. I would imagine this Warning on the label is intended to prevent Users from "poisoning" the silver (halide?) composition of the new filter.

Just a thought. Maybe someone else may care to fill in the rest of the chemistry behind this manufacturer's warning?

Water clarifiers don't usually contain copper. They are usually cationic (positively charged) polymers. Some algaecides contain copper.

The reason for the warning has nothing to do with the silver. It has to do with the filter being very fine presumably filtering down to 1 micron. Clarifiers will tend to clog up the filter too quickly and should be unnecessary since the filtration is so fine anyway.