How Often Do You Need To Add Water?

jwo

Hey all, thanks for the help and advice in other threads.

I am curious how frequently I should add water to a spa that gets low to moderate use.

Currently, I am adding water about every 3 weeks or so to keep it at it's nominal level. Is that about right? I don't see any water underneath the tub, so I don't think it's leaking.

I keep it at around 75-80 degrees and turn it up about an hour or so before getting in, and back down when I get out.

It's an Arctic Fox Onzen system, with the heavy insulated Arctic cover, FYI. I am in the Seattle area, temperature has been in the 40s-high 30s for the most part lately.

Thanks in advance for replies.

I'm not familiar with your particular tub and I'm not sure what you mean by "moderate" use. You also don't mention how much water you are replacing. Just know that you will lose water via evaporation to the air whenever the cover is removed and the water exposed to the cold, dry air. You also lose water that clings to your body every time you get out of the tub. It is not unusual to have to replace lost water. It's hard to say whether the amount you're losing is excessive. I hope this helps a little.

gman B)

Thanks gman.

It does appear that I left out some vital details.

Moderate use imo is 30 mintues twice a week for two people.

The amount I need to fill it, I can't tell you in gallons, the water level falls to a point maybe 2-4 inches below the headrest (the recommended level) where the pumps are surging and can't run consistently.

It's a 340 gallon tub.

Thanks gman.

It does appear that I left out some vital details.

Moderate use imo is 30 mintues twice a week for two people.

The amount I need to fill it, I can't tell you in gallons, the water level falls to a point maybe 2-4 inches below the headrest (the recommended level) where the pumps are surging and can't run consistently.

It's a 340 gallon tub.

That seems like a lot of water evaporating for that little use. We use ours 10x that amount so far and I never needed to add that much water in mine. Are you sure there is no leak?

It seems like too much. Our temps here are below zero to 20's now we use the tub 3-4 times a week for 30 min. maybe 2 inch lose last month.

A very small leak 1 drip every second is around 40-50 gal/mth.

Not sure how much water loss a 4" drop in your tub would be.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

So losing 2 inches a month is average, 3-4 inches a month is excessive?

I have just noticed it in the last few months. Since the last time I drained and filled it. It got serviced at that time as well.

Too many variables here. I think I need to start keeping a log for the tub...

Thanks Dave.

So losing 2 inches a month is average, 3-4 inches a month is excessive?

I have just noticed it in the last few months. Since the last time I drained and filled it. It got serviced at that time as well.

Too many variables here. I think I need to start keeping a log for the tub...

How was it drained? Did you use a drain spout on the bottom of the tub? Often times I have read that those drain spigots leak when used so I just use a Sump Pump (Like the kind used in basements that have a high water table) to drain mine and it only takes about 10 minutes max to drain over 400 gal. A friend gave it to me a long time ago when my new house had an issue with the low spot in the yard being where the bulkhead was and water was coming in when the ice built up on the ground so the water had no where to go but down those stairs there into my basement. I completely changed the landscaping to eliminate this problem, but luckily kept the pump in the shed all this time. Here is a newer version of what I have:

Sump Pump

Here is one from Home Depot for $70.34:

HOME DEPOT SUMP PUMP

I recommend the tall ones like this so you can keep the motor out of the water. I just run for 3 minutes with it on the seat then move it to the foot well once the water level gets below where the motor is when placed in the foot well:

SP-500P%20Pedestal%20Sump%20Pump_3c.jpg

These are much faster than the submersible 1/6 HP pumps that cost as much or more.

Hey all, thanks for the help and advice in other threads.

I am curious how frequently I should add water to a spa that gets low to moderate use.

Arctic Spa Yukon here. I have to add around 1 inch of water every two months.

Thanks guys.

I am not sure how the tub was drained. The tech who worked on it used a pump to speed things up, so I guess he bypassed the drain spigot? That's a good suggestion though. I'll look into picking up a sump pump.

OK, it does sound like I am losing a little too much water... It's really hard to tell where. I saw nothing inside the panel area, and it rains nonstop this time of year here in Seattle, so if the drain is leaking, it would be hard to tell...

I would call the tech who worked on it and tell him that since he worked on it the water level is dropping much faster than it did before. Maybe he can provide info on what he may have done to it, or he will come out and check it for free since it sounds like he MAY have caused the issue.

Can you check the drain to make sure it is tight?

I have my hot tub up on the deck so if I have a leak I get ice cycles in the winter. After a ton of inspection on my older spa I found the pump was leaking at the shaft seal (in between the motor and the wet end) when the motor was running but the leak stopped if it was shut off. The dripping from this is a slow leak and a huge pain. It sounds like the same amount of loss you are talking about. Unless you can look under your spa like I can you would never know it was leaking.

open the cabinet and lookm underneath the spa, check with jets running. With an artic it is easy to see leaks in most cases. Also, check the pump unions, they sometimes loosen up durning water changes because of the cold water (causes expanding and contracting of the plastics) You are losing more water than you should be.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I work long days during the week, so my response times are slow, and troubleshooting (or even getting in the tub!) is hard to do.

These responses have me thinking though. I think I have a good idea what I need to check.

Thanks guys, I'll report what I find.