Best Time Of Year To Re-Plaster Pool?

SquashPro

My pool needs re-plastering as the the existing plaster is etched and discolored after 18 years. I talked to a pool re-plasterer today and asked him if it was OK to replaster a pool during this time of year or if I should wait until spring. He said that he re-plasters pools year round and that they simply drill some holes in the bottom of the pool to make sure that there aren't any problems with the pool floating when they drain the pool during the winter. He claims that there is no problem with doing the re-plaster this time of year. BTW, I'm near Sacramento and the temperatures right now are averaging about 50 degree highs and 40 degree lows. It's raining which is keeping nighttime lows from dropping lower. I asked if the low temperatures this time of year affect the curing of the new plaster. He said that it was OK to re-plaster so long as the outside temperature was above 40 degrees and that the big issue with plaster curing occurred if it became too hot.

I don't have any big reason why the re-plaster couldn't wait until the springtime. However, my guess is that this time of year things are slow for the pool guys and I might be able to get a better price if I re-plastered now rather than delay to the spring. I'm wondering if the pool guy is just telling me that it is OK to proceed now because he is anxious to do the work or if it is really OK to do the work now. Can anyone shed light on this situation? Is it important to wait until the air temperature is warmer and when the ground is drier?

I don't have any big reason why the re-plaster couldn't wait until the springtime. However, my guess is that this time of year things are slow for the pool guys and I might be able to get a better price if I re-plastered now rather than delay to the spring. I'm wondering if the pool guy is just telling me that it is OK to proceed now because he is anxious to do the work or if it is really OK to do the work now. Can anyone shed light on this situation? Is it important to wait until the air temperature is warmer and when the ground is drier?

I don't know about the Sac area, but I know for us, you will get better attention to detail in the off season as we have more time to spend on your job to finish things off. If you have no rush, i would wait till it dries out and warms up a bit, but don't wait so long that it gets busy (mid to late spring). However with the economy, it may not get as busy.

Are you using Jeremiah Pools?

I think that as long as the minimum temperature is above 40 degrees F for 4 days before plastering, the day of plastering, and until the pool is full, then temperature shouldn't be a problem.

During periods of daily rain, the local water table can get higher than normal, which can increase the risk of floating, or water weeping through the gunite while plastering. However, the water table can be controlled to prevent the possibility of the pool floating and to prevent the possibility of water weeping into the area between the plaster and the underlying concrete.

You don't want to plaster on a windy or rainy day.

Here are a few references you can review if you want further, more detailed information. The last reference link might not work, is primarily for commercial pools, and is really too much information, so you should probably skip that one.

Reference 1

Reference 2

Reference 3

Reference 4

Reference 5

Here are a few references you can review if you want further, more detailed information. The last reference link might not work, is primarily for commercial pools, and is really too much information, so you should probably skip that one.

Reference 1

Reference 2

Reference 3

Reference 4

Reference 5

Then why did you post it? KISS!

• 12 years later...

The average temperature in my area, Rancho Mirage, CA,  is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit in August when the pool resurfacer wants to do the work. I have found sources that state that above 75 degrees the plaster will dry too fast and cracks may occur. Should I postpone having the work done until the temperatures are lower?