Can Etched Plaster Leak?

SquashPro

I have a leak in my inground pool. The water is dropping about half of an inch more than the water in the bucket that is sitting on one of the pool steps. I have a fairly large pool, and by my calculations I am losing around 40 cubic feet of water a day. I have been letting the water drain for about 2 weeks now. The amount has dropped about the same amount every day, so it doesn't seem like I am getting near to the level of the leak yet. I'm already below the skimmer opening and in another few days I'll be below the pump return lines. My pool is 17 years old and the plaster in places is fairly badly etched and discolored. I'm wondering if water can simply percolate through the underlying gunite if the plaster is etched or if there needs to be a crack in the gunite for the water to get out. I can't see any cracks just looking down through the water. Here are my questions:

1. Will water percolate through the gunite in cases where the plaster has become thin due to etching? Or is the gunite waterproof as well?

2. Would a crack in the pool bottom typically be visible to the naked eye assuming very clear water?

3. Is it much more likely that the leak is in the main drain piping or pool light enclosures?

4. How far down can I let the water drain before running a significant risk of the pool trying to pop up out of the ground?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

1. Will water percolate through the gunite in cases where the plaster has become thin due to etching? Or is the gunite waterproof as well?

2. Would a crack in the pool bottom typically be visible to the naked eye assuming very clear water?

3. Is it much more likely that the leak is in the main drain piping or pool light enclosures?

4. How far down can I let the water drain before running a significant risk of the pool trying to pop up out of the ground?

1) Gunite is not waterproof. However, as long as there is not a lot of exposed gunite, there should not be much water loss. Even thin plaster should be fairly waterproof, so you shouldn't expect much loss through plaster.

2) Cracks can be difficult to see if they are very thin.

3) Leaks can be difficult to diagnose. There are many places that can leak. Plumbing, grout, cracks in the plaster, the light conduit, the hydrostat etc.

4) It depends on the local water table. The leak should not drop below the water table, so it is somewhat self-limiting. You should not allow the water to drop below about 12 inches in the shallow end.

1) Gunite is not waterproof. However, as long as there is not a lot of exposed gunite, there should not be much water loss. Even thin plaster should be fairly waterproof, so you shouldn't expect much loss through plaster.

2) Cracks can be difficult to see if they are very thin.

3) Leaks can be difficult to diagnose. There are many places that can leak. Plumbing, grout, cracks in the plaster, the light conduit, the hydrostat etc.

4) It depends on the local water table. The leak should not drop below the water table, so it is somewhat self-limiting. You should not allow the water to drop below about 12 inches in the shallow end.

I have just a gunite shell that was sprayed last month. I did fill it with water Dec 3rd I have not had water loss (none that I can see) Level is the same.