Blinking Power Light Hotspring Sovereign

Liamfm

I have a 2002 Hot Springs Sovereign. I have never been able to find anyone close enough to me to service it, so I've always had to figure everything out by myself. About a year ago, I replaced the heater relay board, which had the classic burn spot on the back. It has been working great since. Now, out of the blue, it stops working, and the red power light just blinks. I turn the breakers off then back on, and it restores power, and everything seems to run fine until it calls for heat, then it goes off... and back to the blinking light. I determined this by turning the thermostat down to the actual temperature, letting it run a while, then turning it up a degree so it calls for heat, then it shuts off.

Any advice on where to start?

• 1 year later...

Most likely you need to change one or both of the thermistors that screw into the heater. If you have a meter you can do an ohm test on them. They should read the same value, if not, post what you get for the values and what the actual water temp is and I can tell you which one is bad.

Hi Dan,

I've read the great informative posts here. I also get the blinking red light once the system kicks on the heater.

Some info:

- turn on system/jets breaker only (not heater breaker) (solid red light)

- turn on heater breaker (blinking red light, system shut down after about a minute or heat call)

- filters clean, filters even removed during testing

- doesnt seem to be any air bubbles in circ system after 15-20 restarts, some light tapping, etc

- circ pump is running fine, plenty of water movement from circ pump

Your thermistor test results (i may have these backward though, i dont remember):

- regular therm = 1.9k @ 70 degrees
- high therm = 1.6k @ 70 degrees
any ideas?

• 7 months later...

I know this is a few years old thread but I am having almost the same issues with my Hot Springs Sovereign. I think it is a 2005 or 2006 model.

STUPID blinking Red light!!! Will happen even when the jets are not on. I have tried all the circ pump tricks like pushing water through the gray pipe and letting the bubbles bleed. I am able to feel that it is working (at least it is humming). Water does come out of the caps on the bottom of the tub when I open them. I have cleaned filters, replaced them, run the tub without filters. NOTHING WORKS! It is so random, some times the tub will work great for 5 or 10 min or so, and sometimes it will just blink flashing red for no reason. I have even turned down the temp to try and distinguish it from the heater which may be faulty. I have reset my GFCI breakers almost 50 times trying to figure this thing out!

I have contacted the local hot spring dealer but every time he comes he charges an insane amount and just tries to sell me a new tub (and trade in this tub) by saying how old my tub is and how expensive it will be to fix. He can't even figure it out. He wanted to charge me $500 for a new circ pump.

I just went ahead and bought a new Costco Tub this weekend but I will cancel that if I can somehow fix this tub. Any ideas?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have not tried that thermistor thing though. How would I go about knowing if that was defective?

You are about to remove one of the finest single jet pump hot tubs on the market and replace it with one of the biggest pieces of junk because you either disagree with the dealers diagnosis (circ pump) or because the dealer is an incompetent servicer. Frankly, that does not compute in my mind. Have you dirty filters and bad circ pumps are the number one reason for this particular error, but I've also seen heater hot spots, bad sensors and bad main circuit boards as the culprit.

John

You are about to remove one of the finest single jet pump hot tubs on the market and replace it with one of the biggest pieces of junk because you either disagree with the dealers diagnosis (circ pump) or because the dealer is an incompetent servicer. Frankly, that does not compute in my mind. Dirty filters and bad circ pumps are the number one reason for this particular error, but I've also seen heater hot spots, bad sensors and bad main circuit boards as the culprit.

John

Thanks for writing back John.

I know this is a good tub but when it doesn't work and its minus 30 F outside (I'm in a very cold place!) during the winter what should I do?

Should I just buy a new circ pump? It seems to be working. Vibrating and I think there is flow.

The tub works fine when the 20 A breaker is on. As soon as I turn the 30 A breaker it shuts down and the dreaded red light blinks.

Should I buy a new heater?

I just cleaned all the filters even after buying four new triflex (something like that) filters from my dealer for $100 a pop and he said that would solve the problem!

I can understand spending a few hundred on this old tub but more than $1000 and it isn't worth it.

Please someone help!

Ok, I have some new points to add.

When I turn on the 20 A breaker now I see a lot of bubbles coming from the bottom drain. Now this is ONLY with my stupid little waterfall thingy off. As soon as I turn the water feature on, the bubbles from the bottom of the drain slow down dramatically.

If i run the jets with the 30 A breaker on without the waterfall it will work for a little while. If I turn the water feature on it will shut off and start blinking red right away.

Does this mean the circ pump is dying? I can't believe I'm saying this but I will be SO happy if the circ pump is dying, because then at least I know what the problem is and I can easily replace the circ pump.

any thoughts?