Swimming Pool Light Question

rwbil

I have a 30 year old In ground concrete pool that I am having re-marcited. My question is about my pool light. It is completely rusted out and they do not sell just the lamp housing. I have been trying to find one compatiable with the Niche, but even if I find one they are usually $200 or more and I never use the light. I have the option while they are re-marciting to just fill in the Niche and the pool will look like it never had a light. And I can use flood lights outside if I want to swim at night. But eventually I plan to sell the home and wanted to know what others thought. Do most pools have lights? Does an inground pool light add value to a pool or not. Maybe there are better less expensive options.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I would do what it takes to have a light. The aesthetic effect alone is worth it. There is a safety issue as well for night swimming. The floodlights won't work.

I would make sure to take care of the safety issues first - if for some reason it degrades further you could have a nasty issue. I personally cut the heel of my foot on a broken pool light when I was young and had to get stitches. I will say that there are some fun alternatives to pool lights that actually seem to work ok. I have some colored lights that are battery powered that float on the surface of my pool and shine down. They do an excellent job of illuminating the pool (better than my light actually) and create a fun night swimming environment.

Pretty much all inground pools have lights, unless they have been filled in when refinishing. Bad idea IMO. Like stated previously, try and keep the light at all cost. Since you are refinishing, a new light ring can be set in the new finish, that would allow proper fit of a new fixture. My guess is that you are spending enough for the refinishing, that a couple extra hundred for a new fixture wont be that big of a pill to swallow.

I agree with keeping the pool light due to "the possibility of selling the house". New home owners look for things like the light in a pool and if they don't see one, then they could possibly think "Was there electrical problems?". There are many alternatives today to pool lights. I have a customer that has a 40,000+ gallon pool that actually uses three spa lights in the pool (I don't even know what the builder was thinking at the time).

There are several LED lights that can be used in place of the regular 500 watt halogen bulb. The LED lights use around 45 watts of electricity and can light the entire pool, depending on size, with LOTS of colors and programs. They are programmable so you can choose any color that is an option.

And you are correct, pool lights are expensive to replace. BUT CONSIDER THE SAFETY FACTORS for not just you, but for all of your guests. Pool lights are, by law, required to light the bottom of the pool. If the builder did not follow the state code, then the builder needs to fix it. In your case, is the builder even still around? (TIP for new construction)