Laguna Bay V. Premium Leisure

jlp254

Newbie here. I'm buying a hot tub for a ski house I rent out. Looking for a basic no frills spa that is reliable and energy effecient really just as a selling point to rent out during ski season. Six seats, no lougne, fancy lighting or stereo....I just want solid guts. I will shut it down from April until December. I am looking to pay as little as possible yet still get a unit that is as reliable as one can get at a low price point. I will have an experienced local person maintianing it and not worried about service. I have seen the Laguna Bay X3 advertised all over for about $3200 delivered with one 6hp motor 50 jets 76x76 and a comprable Premium Leisure 84x84 with 28 Jets and 5hp motor. Anybody out there with expereience with either these 2 units or have any other ideas? Thanks so much if you can weigh in.

Newbie here. I'm buying a hot tub for a ski house I rent out. Looking for a basic no frills spa that is reliable and energy effecient really just as a selling point to rent out during ski season. Six seats, no lougne, fancy lighting or stereo....I just want solid guts. I will shut it down from April until December. I am looking to pay as little as possible yet still get a unit that is as reliable as one can get at a low price point. I will have an experienced local person maintianing it and not worried about service. I have seen the Laguna Bay X3 advertised all over for about $3200 delivered with one 6hp motor 50 jets 76x76 and a comprable Premium Leisure 84x84 with 28 Jets and 5hp motor. Anybody out there with expereience with either these 2 units or have any other ideas? Thanks so much if you can weigh in.

I know you like their price tags but if reliabilty and energy efficency are important I'd look elsewhere.

Cant say much about the Laguna Bay but Premium leisure has all the trappings (and reputation) of the lower end... cheap plumbing low end guarantee, poor insulation, and on a lot of the models very little foot room... Frankly if you are going to this end of the market go Costco, at least you can return it if you have issues and they will get it serviced when it goes sideways.

• 2 months later...

I have owned a premium Leisure spa for a few years. There was one issue with a blister and the company was very responsive on service. The spot was repaired and is fine. Otherwise, performance is flawless and trouble free. Electical costs are less than the spa it replaced. When we had a 16 hour blackout with single digit temps, i was concerned. After 16 hours, the temp had dropped to only 86 from the normal 102. No complaints here. Regarding service, etc, the premium leisure factory folks have been very responsive and available to answer questions. The only other issue was having to replace the original cover after 2 years.

I suggest you look into Nordic Hot Tubs. They make reliable, well constructed, and efficient spas at lower price points then similar models. I am a Nordic dealer and also service all brands of spas. I have a good deal of experience with one of the manufactures you mentioned. If you will be paying for electric, you will want something that runs efficiently. No matter what you are considering, look at it in person and inspect construction quality inside and out. Have them remove the cabinet access panel and look at how it is insulated and constructed. Compare different brands by actually looking "under the hood", not by marketing puffery. It will become quite clear what models are well constructed and insulated vs ones that use little more then tinfoil for insulation.

• 1 year later...

Laguna Bay Spas is a pretty reliable manufacturer. I actually own their X12 model and thoroughly enjoy it. I've yet to have any issues with it and it maintains its temperature quite nicely. It's big enough to fit my husband and my kids or room to sprawl if the kids are away... The jets are just powerful enough too. Not sure about the X3, but if it's anything like the X12 you'll love it.

Battle of the sh** brands.

Choice between a brown turd and a dark brown turd.

Have you seen Master Spas quality lately? 2 X 2 stick frame, staples, and sign board bottoms...They discontinued Down East, Legacy Whirlpool and all but 2 models of the LSX line. The new Healthy Living line has molds that look like Premium Leisure. They used to be a decent spa. It seems they're focusing on being more price competive while focosing more on swim spa sales...

Battle of the sh** brands.

Choice between a brown turd and a dark brown turd.

Have you seen Master Spas quality lately? 2 X 2 stick frame, staples, and sign board bottoms...They discontinued Down East, Legacy Whirlpool and all but 2 models of the LSX line. The new Healthy Living line has molds that look like Premium Leisure. They used to be a decent spa. It seems they're focusing on being more price competive while focosing more on swim spa sales...

Master has always been the Walmart of spa's here in Northern Minnesota. They have a few stores in the MPLS STPaul area with big showrooms and slick salesman. I guess I am going to have to get down there and check them out. It's been a while.