Diy Spa Cover Design

Captainkb

Here is my design for my DIY spa cover that I need to make. I am all over DIY stuff. Not sure what type of glue to use? Liquid Nail, PL400, Gorilla Glue, silicone, spray glue? Any advice on my design and or glue would be great. I haven't got to the straps yet. :) Just trying to make a top economically with as little sewing as possible. :) I was going with tarps (brown for finish layer), but not sure what else I could use? Tyvek for the 1st layer? Or just a thick poly? I have heard and read that the spa tops get water logged overtime? So wrapping the insulation with plastic/tarp that is waterproof seems logical. Not sure how to taper the insulation, I think this would be a nice feature to do, because of the run off of rain and debri. :) I do have a cover lift bar.

1. Plywood on top, protect from a big lab dog that I have. lol (I can already see her claws digging into an expensive vinyl top.)

2. 4" insulation good R-value

3. Easy design with glue this or that.

4. Very little sewing

Fire away!

Captain.

TUBTOP.jpg

It is a very interesting thought. I guess you could argue that even if you build it and it does not look good or function you will not be out much money in materials. For me, because the spa itself is such a big investment i would not hesitate to pay for a new cover when mine wears out. If it functions and looks good in your eyes get after it. don't forget to post pictures as you go along and of the final product.

jw

• 2 weeks later...

Cover started, cut, glued plywood to foam, hinge. I have a tarp just covering the tub for now. I am going with just 2" of foam, I feel 4" is not needed where my climate is at. Next I need to paint plywood, and glue tarp on bottom, than glue finish tarp on top with a trimmed overhang. Buy some straps to snap cover in place. Done. Maybe $100 in materials, after buying paint, and straps. My Hotsprings tub is well insulated anyway, I just really need something to cap the top to hold in the steam/heat.

IMAGE_219.jpg

bring it on... cant wait to see the finished product!

But you can't seal it... there is always air being introduced into your hot tub through the ozone system which will have to come out no matter how diligent you are with the construction!

My guess is the air will escape where the hinge is at. I will need to add some snaps at the ends of the tub, because the ends don't have any weight on them so it is popped up a bit. No biggie I need to buy some anyway. :)