Flea Bites Or Pseudomonas?

njmurvin

So, I got a new spa and a few weeks later a new (to us) rescue 2yr old Golden Retriever. The spa is a Marquis Everyday 660 (just under 400gal). Between the hot spells we have been having here in So.Calif and my attempts to get my spa chemistry in order, no one has yet used the spa. I have an ozonator and a Spa Frog (mineral and bromine cartridges) that came with the spa. About a week after doing the startup chemicals as advised by the dealer, I thought the water was a bit foamier and cloudier than I thought it should be. So, I found this forum.

After reading the Bromine thread, I bought the Taylor K-2106 test kit from Amazon and ditched the test strips that the dealer gave me. In doing the testing, the instructions are to get water samples from 18in. deep. So I have been using my right arm to gather the samples. I noticed a day or so after doing the initial testing that my right forearm had what appeared to be several pretty intense insect bites (about 10 of them). Enter the new dog. She has a pretty sketchy past, so I wouldn't be surprised if she brought a colony of fleas with her. At first, I thought for sure that was it. But, then it puzzled me that these "bites" were concentrated all on my right forearm - the same arm I use to dip down into the spa water to gather samples. Since fleas don't usually attack such a local area (usually lower legs, etc.), I started wondering about the possibility of the spa water (e.g. pseudomonas) causing this right arm rash.

I'm taking the necessary steps to treat the dog (Frontline Plus). But, now I'm a bit concerned about the possible presence of pseudomonas or other critters living in the spa. Before I expose anyone (and the rest of my body), I want to be certain that it's safe. My last test (last night) revealed a bromine level of 4.0 and ph was sitting nicely at 7.4. It has been a week since I shocked it last, so I threw 4oz of non-chlorine shock in and ran the jets for 30min.

Should I play it safe and drain/refill? The water has only been in there for a month and, as I said, nobody has been in it. Are there any tests that would reveal the presence of harmful bacteria?

I hope it doesn't come to that. But, if so, I am more than willing. None of my bromine tests has ever been below 2.5. ph has been 7.8 or so a couple of times, but I lowered it immediately. I don't know how anything can grow in that environment. And, how did it get there? No one has used the tub. I suppose it could have been in my water supply...?

spa itch would have died in that level of bromine. Maybe you have a sensitivity to bromine or MPS. have you tried using the other arm, or putting some water on a small area of your arm for a couple of days to see what happens.

spa itch would have died in that level of bromine. Maybe you have a sensitivity to bromine or MPS. have you tried using the other arm, or putting some water on a small area of your arm for a couple of days to see what happens.

Yeah. I thought of that. Also, sitting on the edge and dangling my legs in it. I just wondered if there is a fairly simple test for bacteria that's not quite so "invasive". Wouldn't chemical sensitivity be more of a widespread redness/rash kind of thing? These look like (and probably are) insect bites - which is why my initial suspicion was the new doggie.

Update. I had the dog checked out (groomed, actually) and NO FLEAS at all!! So, either a hungry mosquito (11 "bites" on the forearm) or I really do have an issue with the spa water. So, I'm going to do a sacrificial test of the other arm (wife may try an arm as well). I suppose it could be a bromine allergic reaction. But, I didn't have a problem with the previous spa.

I may just decide to decontaminate it as a precaution. We'll see how the "other arm" test goes.

Just a thought, but are you on any medication? Sometimes they react to the heat and cause severe alergic reactions. We have two friends each on the same med - one has no problem in our tub and the other can't get in without a breakout of severe hives that last for days.

Nope. No meds. My arm has healed and I have tested both arms several times with no reaction. The cause of my "bites" appears to remain a mystery.