Fix Leak Advice

Captainkb

I got a 2001 Hotspring spa. I found the leak after digging the foam out. The leak is where the pink 1" supply hose connects to the 45° connector (back side) Leak is not a crack just where the hose goes into the connector. Very small hole, 1/8" maybe, drips, but when jets are turned on it comes out more from the pressure. Looks like to me the factory seal has just gone bad, or they just were skimpy on the adhesive?

My question is can I just patch the small hole with some sort of 2-part epoxy? If so, which is the best, cost? Can I buy it at the Auto store, big box?

Looks like they use some sort of black glue for OEM? Just don't want to tear into the foam remove wood, and yep it is almost right behind a wood support, cut back 1" hose, splice in new hose, dig out old hose from connector....on and on.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks, great forum!

Captain

I found a leak in a pipe under my house about 5 years ago... I had a two-part putty that I mixed together... It was similar to "Mighty Putty"...

The leak was under quite a bit of pressure. I turned the water off in the house, sealed the leak, and it hasnt leaked since...

It saved me a ton of time having to cut out the old pipe and fitting in a new one.

The best way to fix would be to buy a new seal or fitting, but some of the epoxies and putties out there now are truly amazing.

our local parts supplier carries this stuff: My link I've used it before with good success, it actually bonds to pvc very well, I cannot comment on the "big box" store epoxies as I have never used any of them

On difficult or impossible to replace parts, ive used mr stickies also with very good results. Advice would be to mix the whole tube and go pretty crazy with it, also you want to remove any pressure while it cures completely (slower in cold areas), even the pressure of the water weight can cause a "escape path" to cure in the epoxy.

web%20Decvon%20Plastic%20Welder%2025%20ml.jpg

I used this stuff doing warranty leaks for my American Standard account, it beat the hell out of ripping up a $4000 tile job to fix a jetted tub leak.

Thanks for the replys.

Friend was suggesting I use a heat gun and just take apart the glue joint, clean it up than just glue it again.

Not possible.

When PVC is joined together the primer actually melts the pipe slightly, then when glue is added it fusses the pieces together permanently.

Dave

2001 sumatran with same problem. Guru suggested the Devcon Plastic Welder - put it on a piece of cloth and wrap around the leak area. I found my leak - just like you, but replaced the jet and pipes. The jet next to it started to leak, so I replaced both jets this time. Upon filling with water again, the flex pvc at the T joint started to leak. Literally 30 minutes ago I went the Devcon route. I mixed it and spread it along a strip of cloth - and wrapped around the joint. I let that set for 15 minutes - and then spread out the repair with two more strips of cloth with Devcon on them overlapping either side of the the first cloth strip. Keeping fingers crossed that this will stop the leak. I'm running out of original pipe and tubing to connect into!! : )

Where can I buy these spa hoses? The hose that I might need to cut is prolly 1"dia, pink and slightly corrugated. I don't see anything at the local box store that resembles this. What type of pipes can a hot tub have? Any that the hardware stores have? Or do they need to be something special because of the heat and chemicals?

Thanks,

Captain.

I purchased the flex PVC, 3/8 hose, jets and fitting (T and right angle) from my local spa dealer. Spa was used, but the folks at the local dealer are awesome and bend over backwards to help. Any other PVC I needed I grabbed at Home Depot - Schedule 40 PVC.

Its all good now, patched the 2nd leak with Devcon. Good stuff so far. It seems the factory glue joints don't last 10 years...lol

captainkb, did you apply directly to the joint or did you wrap it with cloth? How about preping the area? Thanks, gypsy

The area needs to be clean and dry, if you have foam insulation residue on the pipe, sand it off or wipe it with acetone on a rag.

captainkb, did you apply directly to the joint or did you wrap it with cloth? How about preping the area? Thanks, gypsy

Yes I applied it directly to the joint with a white cut t-shirt 2" wide and about 10" long. I mixed the Devcon on the back of the package, than moved all the goop onto the cloth. It worked great! You just grab the ends of the cloth and wrap it around the pipe joint. You don't get any on your hands.

I did clean the area and used a dremel to get all the foam off around the pipe and connection. I had to dig into the foam pretty deep to get the dremel behind the pipe to clean it.

Two leaks patched and still holding!

Captain.