Newbie Needs Help

glennmacph

I've been lurking for awhile now,I've spent a lot of time reading our forums in order to understand the answers to my Questions.My motto is "If your not willing to learn to help yourself, your not worth helping"

So I understand the basics now and would like to get some things cleared up in stages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a onzen system from Arctic spa,just starting to dial in the setting for our usage-so far so good,but I don't understand combined chlorine? or what it is? and how to correct it?

If someone could educate me on the true meaning of this reading and how to combat it, if its bad,I would be thankful,but more questions will coming (ha ha ha )

in a nutshell, combined chlorine is the free chlorine in the tub that has been 'combined' with a 'contaminate' ie. oil, sweat...whatever, and needs to be oxidized (removed) either by raising your chlorine level to a shock level given your stabilizer level or by using some potassim monopersulfate (MPS).

have you read the dichlor and bleach post by nitro? i think that explains it a bit better than i do.

in a nutshell, combined chlorine is the free chlorine in the tub that has been 'combined' with a 'contaminate' ie. oil, sweat...whatever, and needs to be oxidized (removed) either by raising your chlorine level to a shock level given your stabilizer level or by using some potassim monopersulfate (MPS).

have you read the dichlor and bleach post by nitro? i think that explains it a bit better than i do.

thanks-I'm trying to work with the chlorine generator first and get results-but I can't seem to get a handle on this

Combined chlorine is also called chloramines.

HOCl + NH3 --> NH2Cl + H2O

Hypochlorous acid + ammonia --> monochloramine + water

To remove the Chloramines, you need to "Shock". Shocking is a process, not a product. It's something you do, not a product that you buy. Chloramines can be oxidized by chlorine, ozone or MPS.

2NH2Cl + HOCl --> N2 + 3H+ + 3Cl- + H2O

Monochloramine + hypochlorous acid --> nitrogen gas + hydrogen ions + chloride ions + water

3O3 + NH2Cl --> 2H+ + NO3- + Cl- +3O2

Ozone + monochloramine --> hydrogen ions + nitrate + chloride ions + oxygen gas

3HSO5- + 2NH2CL --> N2 + 3HSO4- + 2HOCl + H2O

Peroxymonosulfate + monochloramine --> nitrogen +hydrogen sulfate + hypochlorous acid + water

FC can be in the form of hypochlorous acid (HOCl), or hypochlorite (OCl-). How much of each depends on the pH. Hypochlorous acid is the primary oxidizer and disinfectant.