Comfortzone Not Heating

Guinness Guy

I'm running out of ideas to fix my Comfortzone C-Spa XI Model 5.5 heater. It is not heating at all. Set at high temp, the thermostat light comes on but then goes off in less than 30 minutes with no change in temperature. I have just installed a new heating element. Pump is on a different circuit and working fine.

Here's what I know:

-220V electricity is getting to heater

-with meter setting at 200ohms I get the following readings across the poles:

-thermostat (closed): .4 ohms

- heating element: 10.4

Any suggestions?

You need to test for voltage and current at the element while the heater is supposed to be heating. Don't do this if you are not comfortable working with electricity. Is the contactor closing when the heater is supposed to be heating?

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/replace_pdfs/174-175Hay2009.pdf

Where are you checking the voltage at the element, or the relay?

Slow water flow (dirty filter)will impede heating, as the water in the heater heats and shuts it down.

I was checking the voltage at the element. But I clearly didn't pay attention to the basics like cleaning the filter. It was filthy! So far the heater has not shut off quickly like it has in the past so I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for offering what appears to be an easy, inexpensive solution. I'll confirm in a few hours when/if the hot tub is heated. Now I promise to write a hundred times "Don't make things complicated".