Suction Pool Cleaner Rec To Replace Kreepy Krauly?

mike_b

Hi Everyone.

I've been buying a new pool cleaner about every 3-4 years and this time I want to try something new and better. I have a 16 X40 Gunnite pool with 3ft to 8 1/2 ft depth. 2 skimmers and a side suction inlet. I can control the inlet suction by adjusting the Jandy valves. In 10 yrs I've had 2 of the regular Kreepy Krauly's and 1 Hayward Sunbeam (cheap Kreepy copy). They all pick up debris fine but they all get stuck at the corner by my steps in the shallow side. I've tried adjusting the return jets and even put a few bricks in the pool to try to direct it away but no luck. I shortened the hose but then half of my pool stays dirty. Looking at the Baracuda G2,G3,G7 and they all are nearly the same design as the Kreepy so I suspect they would also get stuck. I tried a Kreepy gadget you put in the suction line to back it up and it worked but the unit died within 8 months!

Does anyone know much about the Polaris ATV F7, All Terrain (340). Epinions has plenty of bad reviews on it breaking down at around 1 yr old and needing a $150 gear pack replaced. Of what about the http://www.thepoolcleanershop.com/4_Wheel_Suction_PoolCleaner_p/896584000-020.htm ('The Pool Cleaner' 4 Wheel model) which I can't find much feedback on?

I'm looking for something that won't get stuck and is relaible..... I know it's a big thing to ask.

Thanks in advance.

The Navigator inground pool cleaner by Hayward won't get stuck. It has a program built into it that keeps it turning most of the time. It also reverses it's turns every few minutes, so it approaches steps & benches from both directions so as to get all the areas that Kreepy & Cuda miss. It's not affected by the return jets, won't get stuck on main drain covers, etc. It's a great cleaner. I have one in my pool and highly recommend it. You won't have to buy a new one every couple years, either. All the parts are replaceable, and if you replace the wear parts when needed, it prevents wear to the underbody. I've seen 12 year old Navigators still running great, with moderate repairs occasionally. Oh, and by the way, with the Navigator you will never hear the "thump, thump, thump" again. Navi is silent.

I picked up a Hayward Pool Vac XL (Navigaror Pro) Friday and put it in my pool today. I set the suction level and let er rip. This thing is great! It doesn't get stuck and if I would have run a Kreepy for as long as I ran this today, the Kreepy would have been stuck in the corner for 4 hrs out of 6. I never had to untangle it's hose or help it in any way. Excellent design. My pool had a months worth of leaves and debris and it's all gone. I emptied the leafcatcher once because it was completely full and the Pool Vac was moving slower because of the suction drop. It does coil it's hose up but then when the unit changes it rotation direction it untangles itself. It even climbs to the waterline occasionally but never sucks air into the line. Oh yeah, it's dead silent too and moves twice as fast as a Kreepy.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

• 3 weeks later...

I like the poolvergnuegen or The Pool Cleaner. I know it's got a funny name but it is IMO the best suction based cleaner on the market. I preffer the two-wheel suction even thought they make a four wheeled version. The two-wheeled model works just as well, arguably better than it's four wheeled upgraded variant but uses less moving parts. I like that because it makes the 2-wheeled model more durable and less likely to wear out as fast. I'm not a fan of the Hayward Navigator as it has hard plastic areas that rub the plaster and cause wear on the pool surface where a wheeled unit is less likely to do that.

interesting post pool raider. I'm concerned that you have had experience with a navigator damaging plaster? That would be like a ruby cutting a diamond? But I do intend to look into the poolvergnuegen. Mike I am a big fan of the navigator, bigger fan of the polaris atv, but you've made a wise investment!

I see what your saying about the ruby & diamond. You figure the typical sweep is putting more milage everyday running around the bottom of a pool than most people do in their car driving to work. Since the plaster doesn't move while the sweep does, useually covering the same if not a similar pattern daily. It's going to errode whatever it makes contact with slowly but surely. Nearly every pool I've ever seen with a Navi has some wear.

All pool cleaners cause wear to the pool surface. Polaris, Navigator, Kreepy, Poolferpukin, all of them eventually cause wear. The ruby/diamond analogy does hold up to a point, but water erodes stone (river rock) very effectively over time. When you consider the number of hours that a cleaner operates in a pool @ 8 hours per day = 250 hours per month = almost 3000 hours per year, then consider where the cleaner spends it's time - against the steps or moving, you'll always see more wear near the steps & areas where the cleaner gets hung up. Proper maintenance of the wear parts will keep the hard parts of the cleaner off the pool floor, which will reduce wear as much as is possible. The rest of it is simply the cost of owning a pool.