303 Protectant On The Underside Of Spa Cover?

Razorhog

I read somewhere that treating both the outside and underside of a spa cover with 303 Aerospace Protectant is recommended. It will protect the outside from UV rays, and help prevent mildew on the inside. Does anyone here do that or recommend doing that?

I will definitely treat the outside, but treating the underside gives me pause.

Talked to my dealer today about this as I needed to pick up some stuff!

They informed me that the 303 should only go top of the cover! They do make a different product to apply to the underside of the cover for mildew! Just not the 303

I think your dealer just upsold you.. Google spadepot 303 mildew.

Ahh that's where I read it. Is spa depot reputable?

I've had no problems with them the one time I've ordered. They had pretty good prices on Nature2. 303 would help on the bottom by sealing the vinyl pores- less area for mildew to hang on to. No idea how long the treatment would hold up to spa chemicals though. I've had a tub for 1+ yr now, and generally mildew has not been a problem for me. At least not enough to chase down a dedicated elixir.

Keep in mind that we'll sell you as much 303 as you want to buy. But I have to say that in the over 20 years of producing spa covers and recommending it, we have found no reason to say it is good for the underside of the cover.

As for the mildew, there is nothing in 303 that kills mildew or kills the food source for mildew which is really the only way you're going to prevent mildew. Will using it "seal pores"? Maybe, it is a conditioning dressing product. But do you know how often you're going to have to reapply that with all the chlorine/bromine/MPS/ozone/etc?

Mildew is an organism. If you have it, it's because you need to clean your cover and probably bump the sanitizer in your tub. Nothing against the guys at SpaDepot as I honestly think they do a really nice job. I think we all want to be like those guys when we grow up. But, as a cover manufacturer going back to 1983 and recommending 303 since the late 1980's, I can't in good conscience say I believe the way the prevent mildew is to put 303 on the underside of the cover. Will it hurt anything? Of course not. And like I said, we'll sell it to you by the gallon if you want it. I just don't want people to confuse a nice side effect use of 303 with what is really needed to take care of mildew. Keep the sanitizer level up. Remove the cover at least every couple weeks and wipe it down with a cleaning product. If you get mildew, use a mild bleach and water solution to kill it. You're going to get it inside the zipper panels so check there every month or so. The covers are easy to unzip and check.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/154/303-patio-furniture-protectant-to-extend-the-life-of-your-spa-cover.cfm

Here is what the maker of the stuff says it does for spa covers. By the way, Patio Furniture Protectant is the exact same formula of Aerospace Protectant. Just different packaging.