How Do I Purge "all" The Air Out Of The Circulation Pump System?

cyber3d

Hi all. Seems like a very active forum and that's great!

I need a bit of advice.

I just finished repairs to my 1994 Sundance Marin with the Sentry 800 electronics. I installed a DelZone CD ozonator, repaired leaks, and replaced the circulation pump with a new Laing unit. I also took out the restrictor from the ozone line.

I suspect the circulation pump has air in the line somewhere because the outlets in the spa are belching large bubbles along with the "champagne" bubbles normally expected. When it turns on I can see a little air in the line just before the pump inlet but that goes away until i start it up again. So I figure the air is trapped somewhere in the line before it gets to the pump.

How do I purge "all" the air out of the circulation pump system?

I've looked around, followed the plumbing as best I could, looked at the diagrams. but, no purge valve to be found. The closest thing to a purge valve that I found was a T-fitting on the inlet hose - but that sits below the level of the pump. I tried that just in case, but it does not get rid of the air trapped above the pump and in the lines.

FWIW, and I've no idea why, when I change the water in my Sundance the ozonator bubbles do come out kind of 'large' for a week or so, then settle down into the champagne sized ones you refer to. Not a biggie but I'd love to know why.

If you do have an airlock then Sailing Faith's method should work, however you may find it easier to do the reverse by removing the circ pump fliter, then place the hose over the inlet with a cloth around it (to form a better seal), and purge the air out that way - if you do have air in the system you'll see bubbles exiting the circ pump outlet in the tub.

Hey guys, not sure which hose I am supposed to connect to the pump outlet. Also, when you say "put the hose up to the circulation pump return" are you saying to connect the hose to the circulation pump return outlet? So, is the idea to force water into the pump "in the opposite direction from normal?" I'm a little confused.

BTW, it looks like the Sundance Marin does not have a circulation pump filter.

I'm talking about removing the circ pump fliter and placing the hose over the threaded INLET hole - this would not reverse the water flow. If you place the hose over the circ pump outlet in the tub then that WILL reverse the normal flow, although I doubt it'll do any harm if the tub is turned off. If you're unsure go with scenario number 1, but obviously make sure the tub is turned off beforehand.

Well, one last post about this particular track. I tried purging but to no avail.

According to my local dealer; The Sundance Marin (with the Sentry 800)circa 1994 does not have a circulation pump. The wiring diagram calls it a circulation pump so I don't know why it does not have one.

Anyway, he said the pump is an ozone pump, not a circulation pump. So, I guess that is why there is no purge valve and no filter attached to it.

I thought I'd try putting in a tighter restrictor plug in the ozone air line and while the resulting bubbles are "champagne" like the temperature reading on the panel start to fluctuate wildly and the Ozone circuit clicks several times and stops.

Does anyone know the Marin spa? Can you explain why the temperature sensor would flip out and stop the ozonator when I use a restrictor? Remember that the new restrictor still allows air to pass, but at much less quantity.

Thanks, Victor

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, can you guys find me one of those restictor plugs you've removed and mail it to me? Sure would appreciate it.

Victor

Hey, I am going to bump this because I am having the exact same problem. My 2001 Sundance that has a circ pump is letting out slow, big air bubbles rather than a constant stream. Is there a way to bleed the air out? I dont see a valve or circulation pump filter.

If the pump is pumping water, you've already bled the air out- if air stuck in the pump was the problem, each large bubble would be that air escaping, and after a couple of large burps, it's gone for good.

Continuous large bubbles could be caused by an Ozone check valve that's offering no restriction. Try replacing it, it shopuld slow down the ozone flow.

Assuming the spa isn't leaking when you turn the power off, it's pretty unlikely the circ pump is drawing in air as it's running.

If the pump is pumping water, you've already bled the air out- if air stuck in the pump was the problem, each large bubble would be that air escaping, and after a couple of large burps, it's gone for good.

Continuous large bubbles could be caused by an Ozone check valve that's offering no restriction. Try replacing it, it shopuld slow down the ozone flow.

Assuming the spa isn't leaking when you turn the power off, it's pretty unlikely the circ pump is drawing in air as it's running.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not believe I have an ozone check valve, if so, where would it be? I do have an ozone unit on the tub. Would something else be causing the "burping bubbles"?

Also, just now as I was walking by my tub and I heard a humming noise that I have never heard before. I turned on the jet pump and the noise stopped but came back up. Does this sound like maybe the circulation pump is just going bad? Thanks.