$249 For Steps?

Razorhog

After a long wait, and research, the wife and I have decided to buy spa. We are set to buy a Jacuzzi J-280. It is a 2009 floor model that has never had water in it. The dealer is asking $5299 - cover, delivery, 2 months chemicals and setup included. I was set to pull the trigger when I asked if the steps are included. They informed me that they were not included and they cost $249. That seems a little expensive to me. Couldn't I just buy some steps from Amazon or something for much less? Or are the Jacuzzi steps really worth that much? I guess I could tell them to keep them on the show room floor next to the empty spot where the tub used to be :D

$250 is way high unless they are made out of teak! There is a huge mark up in the accessaries. Check around. I bet if you tell them you don't want them the price will come down.

If you are a DIY'er you can make a 24" set out of cedar for $20-30.

Dave

They certainly aren't teak - they are the plastic ones that match the tub. I can get some Leisure Accents Deluxe Spa Steps from Amazon for $85. They won't match perfectly but I just can't stomach paying that much for steps. I briefly thought about making my own steps, but I'm not sure they would look ok. If there were some instructions for making some out of cedar from scratch, I'd do it.

Wow, they should throw them in on the deal. Might be too late now, but don't spend the money yet. Mine came with my deal, but I don't even use them. My wife prefers them, so I get in one side she gets in on the side with steps.

Interesting. I think the tub is about 37" tall, which is right at my waist. Might be a bit uncomfortable getting in, but I'll hold off on buying steps until I know for sure. I'm pretty sure the wife will want steps. I wish I had the time and know-how to build my own. All I have is a circular saw, which might not be enough to make something that doesn't look horrid. :lol:

Another option would be to put that $249 toward a teak bench. It may be enough for a 4' bench our you could pay a little more for a 6' bench. It only gives you one "step" but would work great for the majority of people and would be way better than no step. It would also give you a place to set towels etc right outside the tub. In a pinch you could actually move it elsewhere and use it as a bench - party perhaps? Just another option...

I have made spa benches and steps out of 4-x-12, very easy to do, just use 90 degree galvanized framing brackets on each side of the legs and 3" screws, and while you are at it, make the top step match the height of the step inside your spa!

I'm going to hold off buying any steps until get and use the spa for a while. We are going to the store to pay for the tub this weekend, I'll ask them to throw in the steps on the deal. If not, I'll offer $100 which seems fair. I'm not sure if the steps have built-in storage. They look like they could... even so, $250 is too much when I'm spending well over $5k. Thoughts?

I'm sure they will give you the steps when they know you are ready to bye it, just ask them again. Money talks! Also was this spa ever set up with water. Alot I have seen have brown goop in the jets, lines. Make sure to look cause it will need to be decontaminated. Ive seen this in three different show room spas, most were from fairs they were at and were big brand spas.

Quick side note...I found this thread yesterday and built the steps in the guide last night. It would have cost me more to get the anti-slip stuff to attach to the wood than to just get the composite decking boards which have an anti-slip surface built in. So, (2)2x8x8 = $16, (1) 5/4x6x12 composite decking board = $25. Total was $41.

Since I was using the composite material, I also put in a center "beam" in the middle of the step to support the board on the back of the tread.

Overall, took me about an hour to build start to finish. Nice little evening project that saved me money. :)

OK, so never had water. While I am new to hot tubs, I am not new to both sides of retail. People cannot come in and order a new 2009 tub configured how they want. You have them on the floor so people can 'kick the tires' of something they are looking to buy. Sticking with that analogy, auto dealers start shaving 1000's off new car prices when it gets to the end of the year. When the new models hit the floor, the old ones come off and even more is taken off to get it off the lot. I don't think i have ever seen an auto dealer with a 2 year old model, new, on their lot. Why? Because they have money tied up in the car, likely making payments themselves, and understand the longer they hold on to it, the more it costs them.

I don't know how much your dealer shaved off that model vs buying the 2011 model. I am hoping 20% or more. And if it were me, I'd insist on the steps. You likely considered this, but floor models have people and kids climbing in and out of them with shoes, keys in pockets, bedazzled pants, ..., and they are sure to have twisted & pulled on jets and the control panel. Multiply that times 2 years.

If they think you are willing to walk away from the deal, 99 times out of 100, their attitude completely changes.

Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...