Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps Teams Up With Master Spas

Kreg

So an article by Pool and Spa News isn't acceptable for this board? If you actually read the article, you would realize that this is a benefit for the swim spa category and the industry as a whole.

Having an athlete of his caliber join our industry is a benefit for everyone. It will bring a lot of exposure to the category that wasn't there before. The charity that Michael Phelps supports helps to raise awareness for swimming.

You buy an endorsement from a famous athlete...and how does this make others "up their own standards to compete"?

Guess they could buy an endorsement from Tiger Woods.

:D :D :D :D :D

Well tell me now, which one is world famous for swimming and which for golf?

Does that answer your question. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, when Tiger Woods endorses a set of clubs do you not think he might have some input in their development or if not would you expect him to endore something which wasn't among the best if not the best available? I know if I were him I would want to protect my professional reputation.

Well tell me now, which one is world famous for swimming and which for golf?

Does that answer your question. :rolleyes:

Nope

Anyhow, when Tiger Woods endorses a set of clubs do you not think he might have some input in their development

NONE what so ever. It's an ENDORSEMENT, not consultation service. :D:D:D

or if not would you expect him to endore something which wasn't among the best if not the best available?

Endorsements are what make/made him worth 1/2 billion dollars+

His Gatore Aid contract was worth some $100 million a year. I think most of us would endorse snake urine for but a fraction of that..

It's already been documented, some time ago, that the majority of athletes that endorse something have never even tried it. It's all about $$$

When it's a product that is unrelated to their profession then I would agree, but when it's golf I would expect Tiger Woods to be a bit more involved, likewise for Michael Phelps with swimming products.

But hey it only an opinion we are both having here, no need for it to turn into a full blown debate on the subject.

While I haven't seen these swim spas in person, I hear that Phelps has been integral in the design of these units. So says the article in Pool and Spa News. So from what I hear, it is more than just an endorsement deal.

While I haven't seen these swim spas in person, I hear that Phelps has been integral in the design of these units. So says the article in Pool and Spa News. So from what I hear, it is more than just an endorsement deal.

My point exactly, if like the article states that he has indeed been involved in it's design from the start then it should be a real swimming workout for the rest of us mere mortals. Another thing we need to forget about he's past issues with drugs because it doesn't lessen the fact he is/was one of the greatest swimmers ever and frankly using that as a means to discredit the product is as cheap a dig as one could make.

My point exactly, if like the article states that he has indeed been involved in it's design from the start then it should be a real swimming workout for the rest of us mere mortals. Another thing we need to forget about he's past issues with drugs because it doesn't lessen the fact he is/was one of the greatest swimmers ever and frankly using that as a means to discredit the product is as cheap a dig as one could make.

not discrediting the product just stating a fact about the person . truth is not cheap

So what is your point then? This discussion is about swim spas, and I don't see how your comments add anything of relevance. If you were followed around by cameras all day, we would probably have some juicy details about your life too. But, that doesn't make you a bad person, or any less of a person. I think SOMEONE once said "Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone."

It is an exciting time to be a swimmer. How often does the opportunity to train like an elite athlete become available for the rest of us?

LOL, that is ridiculous, he has nothing to do with the design of those swim spas. He's simply getting a check for use of his name and image and there is nothing wrong with that for him or Master but spare us the Marketing spin that he has design input. Its not like Tiger Woods who uses the gold clubs he endorses either (though I imagine Tiger's Nike clubs are a bit different than the ones they sell to the public so even saying Tiger has design input on the Nike clubs people buy is a big stretch). Phelps isn't using the swim spa to train for the Olympics either, even if they might have given him one for free as part of the endorsement so they can say he uses it. In reality there is no link between Phelps incredible swimming ability and the quality or design of this product.

Phelps himself could describe to you how he helped, and you would still try to argue. If you choose not to believe the article by Pool and Spa News, that is your choice.

The point of this thread was to discuss how the increased awareness of the Swim Spa category could help our entire industry. Would you not agree that our industry could use some positive influences? Now the best swimmer in the world is getting involved to raise awareness of swimming.

Phelps himself could describe to you how he helped, and you would still try to argue. If you choose not to believe the article by Pool and Spa News, that is your choice.

The point of this thread was to discuss how the increased awareness of the Swim Spa category could help our entire industry. Would you not agree that our industry could use some positive influences? Now the best swimmer in the world is getting involved to raise awareness of swimming.

LOL, Phelps isn't "getting involved to raise awareness of swimming." He's getting involved to raise his bank account. Where do you get these lines from, some Marketing book?

There are a few reasons I roll my eyes at this one:

1) Michael Phelps isn't going to be involved in the design of some swim spa any more than Dale Earnhardt is going to be involved in the design of a VW Bug if he were to represent them or Jimmie Johnson helping to design the formula for Extenze. They're just paid endorsers!! Phelps may look at the swim spa while he gets a grand tour of the plant if they do the phot sessions there and he may even sit in one and I wouldn't doubt they even gave him one free so they can say he owns one, etc. But to say he helped design it!? Lol, yeah right!

2) No doubt this riveting interview went through the Marketing department and they may even try to say he trained the workers how to assemble it as well but its just standard Marketing spin. :wacko:

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-10-20/

3) Its a magazine article which doesn't give added incentive to believe the words on the page, as you suggest. I beleive it as much as I believe those Penthouse letters that start with "I never thought I'd be writing you but..."

I could come up with another reason I would dismiss this as just spin but I think the first 3 cover it.

It's okay. I understand why you are in such a tizzy over this

Hate to tell you but I'm not exactly in a "tizzy" over this one. I just wanted to comment because my BS meter was pegged by the Phelps as Designer comments (I think the needle was even bent on this one).

Plus, that Dilbert cartoon relative to Marketing I posted above was so appropriate and timely for this subject.

I'll make sure to tell Dan Schechner, the author of the article from Pool and Spa News, that you think he is a liar. At first he will probably be annoyed. But then he will probably say, "why do I care what this no-name wanker thinks!"

I'll make sure to tell Dan Schechner, the author of the article from Pool and Spa News, that you think he is a liar. At first he will probably be annoyed. But then he will probably say, "why do I care what this no-name wanker thinks!"

I don't know who that is but if he is actually independent of Master then he's just writing what Master Marketing people are telling him so I'm certainly not calling him out. Now if he's with Master and that BS about Phelps having design duties on that swim spa is coming directly from him as part of Corporate Master then you can tell him I think he's got a future in Marketing (liar is a very strong word, Marketing person is more subtle)!

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-10-20