Should I Buy A Four Winds Hot Tub?

tgtbt

I have been looking around for a hottub, and came across a great deal on craigslist (at least I think I did) There is a person selling a Four Winds hot tub, a Maui I think its called. Anywho, he is getting a divorce and is selling his brand new hot tub. Here is my question. It says that it costs $12000 new but he is willing to sell it for $4975. Does this hottub cost $12000 new? Does anyone have any experience with the Four Winds company? I found the same hot tub on a website selling for around $5500 so I am a little skeptical now. I saw something that said this person has been selling this same hottub for over two years. Thanks in advance for your help!

I have been looking around for a hottub, and came across a great deal on craigslist (at least I think I did) There is a person selling a Four Winds hot tub, a Maui I think its called. Anywho, he is getting a divorce and is selling his brand new hot tub. Here is my question. It says that it costs $12000 new but he is willing to sell it for $4975. Does this hottub cost $12000 new? Does anyone have any experience with the Four Winds company? I found the same hot tub on a website selling for around $5500 so I am a little skeptical now. I saw something that said this person has been selling this same hottub for over two years. Thanks in advance for your help!

I suspect that the $12,000 is a super inflated price so that it appears the customer is getting a much better deal than they really are. I have only briefly encountered Four Winds because the dealer near me went out of business shortly after bringing them in but from what I remember he was selling them between $5,000 - $8,000. Since I don't have direct experience with them I cannot comment on the quality but there are other quality options for not much more from a dealer with a warranty that I would personally consider.

Ask them to them fax/scan over a copy of the invoice. After they ignore that request or come up with a reason they can't or say thats what the spa was worth but they got a better deal (like $8k) because... then you'll know it was bogus.

Heres an ad from my local craigslist.

The spa that I bought in 2003 froze when power went out. My insurance company already sent the check to manufacturer for over $12,000 for a replacement. Plus my $1000 deductible!!! It is loaded!! It has 67 ss jets, dual 7bhp pumps, perimeter LED lighting, 3 lighted waterfalls, full foam insulation, a lay down and still seats 6 people. It has a 5" thick SUPER cover. This is the best spa that I've seen! for it. I manufacture gazebos and sell them to a lot of the spa manufactures in north america. I'm very familiar with what is out there and that's why I bought this spa. The spa has been delivered to my garage! Still in a wrapper. I'm looking to sell it quick! I will take $4980.00 I have included the link to the exact spa model from the manufacture's site: http://www.fourwindsspas.com/display_spa.php?id=13 I HAVE ALSO INCLUDED THE PICTURES THAT THE MANUFACTURE SENT TO ME BEFORE THEY WRAPPED AND SHIPPED IT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me save you alot of time and research!

Go to your local Hot Springs dealer - tell them you want the Vanguard - write a check and be done! I just saved you a year of research - that I did! Enjoy!

Yep, it's a scam. A traveling spa company just left town and they put up a couple of similar craig's list ads, but they were flagged and removed. These types of outfits used to advertise in the Thrifty Nickel (a la the infamous Stacey Diego). Now, they simply swindle people online. Buyer beware!

Terminator

There is no way that spa is worth anything close to 12000$. I wouldn't even pay 3000 for that spa. I purchased a Four Winds Oahu in August 2008 for 5000 Canadian (exchange rate at that time was 0.94 which would be 4700$ U.S.) I specifically recall that the Maui was exactly the same price (specs are the same except for the fact that the Maui has a lounger). My spa developed a crack which was due to an improper acrylic application only 2 years later. Four winds customer service is zero. I spent countless hours trying to reason with these wankers with no success. I'm so glad my spa was replaced with another brand. Red flags should come up when any company inflates their MSRP this much. Besides the spa was super loud (I could tell the filter cycle was starting from bed), and the tacky waterfalls and disco light shows got old after the first month.

I see you live in Michigan. :D I will not go into details regarding the add because I know this guy. He used to be a factory rep for the company I worked for. But the price of 12k is a MSRP. No different then going to a dealer and looking at X brand spa and the dealer tells you this: The price of this spa is 12k but the factory currently has a 3k rebate, we currently have a special offering a 2k instant rebate and if you can pay in full within 3 days we will give you another 2k off that is a total savings of 7k. Guess what go back in 8 months and you still wont have to spend that 7k.

Like the others said it is a sales tactic. If you read these forums you will see what every professional says here. Go to local dealers who sell the brand spa your looking at take a look at it get the price there. Remember your spa will break service after the fact is very important. If there is no one to service it how go was the deal really.

BTW after you visit your local fourwinds dealer let me know what you think.

There is no way that spa is worth anything close to 12000$. I wouldn't even pay 3000 for that spa. I purchased a Four Winds Oahu in August 2008 for 5000 Canadian (exchange rate at that time was 0.94 which would be 4700$ U.S.) I specifically recall that the Maui was exactly the same price (specs are the same except for the fact that the Maui has a lounger). My spa developed a crack which was due to an improper acrylic application only 2 years later. Four winds customer service is zero. I spent countless hours trying to reason with these wankers with no success. I'm so glad my spa was replaced with another brand. Red flags should come up when any company inflates their MSRP this much. Besides the spa was super loud (I could tell the filter cycle was starting from bed), and the tacky waterfalls and disco light shows got old after the first month.

I just found a dealer for these spas in Grand Rapids, Zagar's Pool and Spa. After talking to these kind folks, it looks like they sell this spa for around 5000 including delivery and everything. I feel SO STUPID for almost falling for that divorce story. Should I buy this unit or is there another hottub for around 5000 that is better? It was nice to see so many responses to my question. Thank you all very much!

I just found a dealer for these spas in Grand Rapids, Zagar's Pool and Spa. After talking to these kind folks, it looks like they sell this spa for around 5000 including delivery and everything. I feel SO STUPID for almost falling for that divorce story. Should I buy this unit or is there another hottub for around 5000 that is better? It was nice to see so many responses to my question. Thank you all very much!

I have a Maui, the factory is across town. I paid just under $5k all in, incl tax, delivery, startup and cover lifter. (everything but steps). Overall it's probably a B. One pump problem initially (start capacitor- Aquaflo motor), and the check valve on the ozonator stuck. I wouldn't compare it to some of the big $$ lines- in either price or performance. I bought it because it met my pricepoint (I'm not dropping 10G's on a glorified bathtub), and because 4W was the only group in town that didn't have a circus / sleazy sales model. We are enjoying it and don't regret our purchase [for now]. There were some past acrylic problems. Pretty big lawsuit between 4W and the acylic supplier underway. I hope they get that resolved.

My feeling at the factory was these were honest, hard working guys making a value-line tub. I'm very interested in the scams and whether there is a factory connection here.. Does the factory directly or indirectly engage in this sales practice? Are they aware of it? Or is this just some rogue salespeople dragging a mfg through the mud? I'm not making a judgement either way- just trying to figure out the ethics of a company I supported.

I have a Maui, the factory is across town. I paid just under $5k all in, incl tax, delivery, startup and cover lifter. (everything but steps). Overall it's probably a B. One pump problem initially (start capacitor- Aquaflo motor), and the check valve on the ozonator stuck. I wouldn't compare it to some of the big $$ lines- in either price or performance. I bought it because it met my pricepoint (I'm not dropping 10G's on a glorified bathtub), and because 4W was the only group in town that didn't have a circus / sleazy sales model. We are enjoying it and don't regret our purchase [for now]. There were some past acrylic problems. Pretty big lawsuit between 4W and the acylic supplier underway. I hope they get that resolved.

My feeling at the factory was these were honest, hard working guys making a value-line tub. I'm very interested in the scams and whether there is a factory connection here.. Does the factory directly or indirectly engage in this sales practice? Are they aware of it? Or is this just some rogue salespeople dragging a mfg through the mud? I'm not making a judgement either way- just trying to figure out the ethics of a company I supported.

There are many dealers around that u can find a spa for 5k. Be sure to ask the dealer about there service radius also, many of them wont tell you about extra fees outside there service radius. You will typically find anything further than 40 - 50 miles from there store will cost you extra fees. I would recommend purchasing within 30 - 40 miles of your home. This way you can go to the dealer with questions and so on. It is always nice to do face to face business.

There are many dealers around that u can find a spa for 5k. Be sure to ask the dealer about there service radius also, many of them wont tell you about extra fees outside there service radius. You will typically find anything further than 40 - 50 miles from there store will cost you extra fees. I would recommend purchasing within 30 - 40 miles of your home. This way you can go to the dealer with questions and so on. It is always nice to do face to face business.

When you buy a spa from a reputable dealer, you will always have someone to service your spa. Very important

• 1 month later...

The Maui is not a $12 k spa... there is no spa in the world that is 12k and the ones that are are actually around 8k plus the cost of the marketing, expensive showrooms and branding :-) ...

if you live in Tennessee you can buy a Maui from their seconds from the factory for 5-6k but anywhere else you should be around $7500- $8k

As for the rest.. The spa is good build, good support and one of the best warranties around, they have been in business for ages, and depending on the specs you can buy them with silent flow circulation pumps, and all the option you can get from any spa company... all in all good value for the money and a lot better than ,most spas in this price range.

• 2 weeks later...

The Maui is not a $12 k spa... there is no spa in the world that is 12k and the ones that are are actually around 8k plus the cost of the marketing, expensive showrooms and branding :-) ...

if you live in Tennessee you can buy a Maui from their seconds from the factory for 5-6k but anywhere else you should be around $7500- $8k

As for the rest.. The spa is good build, good support and one of the best warranties around, they have been in business for ages, and depending on the specs you can buy them with silent flow circulation pumps, and all the option you can get from any spa company... all in all good value for the money and a lot better than ,most spas in this price range.

if it truly is one of the best warranties around it would be on their website, from what I can tell it is not. I can go to Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, or Dimension 1 website and view the warranty in 1 click of the mouse, yet I cannot find the warranty anywhere on Four Winds website, what does that tell someone as a consumer?

Kreg, just so you are aware of the facts...........Four Winds has two warranties....One is 3 years parts and labor, and one is a 10 year parts and labor. And they probably don't show them on their website because a customer can always say that the salesman promised them the 10 year warranty.........when they really didn't... I think that everybody knows that the people that post on here saying that they are a customer of "x" brand are not really customers. They are spa dealers that are looking to smear their competitors. I know that every dealer thinks that they sell the best spa on the market, and YOU are probably saying to yourself "ya, but I really do!" Everybody thinks that!!! We all are buying spas with acrylic made by two companies, electronics from 2 companies, jets made from 4 companies, and covers made from 4 companies. The real difference to the consumer is.......what margin does the manufacture put on their product when they sell it to you!! Some manufactures work on a 30 margin and some work on a 50 margin. Does it mean that your spa is better just because your manufacture charges you $2000 more? And all of us dealers have to make our margins, which means that $2000 turns into a $3000-$4000 upcharge to the customer. Oh ya, your spas are probably worth $4000 more because you have 3 more $20 cost Unicel filters!!! Really though!! If we have to resort to putting entire threads out there to falsely slander another product, shouldn't we just take some more sales classes and beat them "THE OLD AMERICAN WAY?" This entire thread was started by a spa dealer.......not a customer.

TGTBT is this your real customer name, and did you go through the login process, wait for your email response, then hit to verify and finally login in to the actual site to a site that you somehow just luckily found. Of course not, Too Good To Be True is a spa dealer that is angry with somebody that is selling a new spa for less than he can afford to sell it for and therefore is disguising himself as a customer to sway people away from his competitor. How many people buy a spa and then decide to go on a chat line to talk about it? Zero! I hate it when the brand I sell is slandered and I'm sure that you all hate threads that are made up about your product to try to falsely sway a customer. I'm sure this person had a spa to show and for the customer to pick up, so it isn't a scam. We all have our "last day of the sale" or Factory truckload sale, or whatever!! The bottom line is the customer is buying the spa!!! Your reason for urgency is never written on the invoice. So if they see the spa and buy it, it's their decision!

New Poll: Who thinks SPADUDE63 sells Four Winds?

I guess that it is as obvious as the original posting being from somebody that sells against Four Winds. Not a customer...as they portrayed. Four Winds is a very nice spa line and virtually has hardly any service issues!! I love that!!! I have sold a lot of brands in the past 25 years and even if they did cost me a lot more they had way more service issues, and with less components on them. I had posted earlier for my first time but have looked at this forum for years and was just getting sick of people slandering other companies. And that includes all brands being slandered. I think that we, dealers, are all smart enough to know that a positive comment about a product is from somebody that sells it, and a negative one is somebody that sells against it. Customers that are led to this site through a google search doesn't understand the "Spalotics" behind such comments. Wouldn't you hate to lose a sale because somebody believed a lie that your competitor put on here? The economy is bad enough!! We don't need to be scaring any customers away from buying. When we all bad mouth each other that is what ultimately happens for a considerable amount of the customers that would have bought. When somebody comes into your store to buy chemicals or steps, why bad mouth the brand that they already have purchased? They can't return it!!! Just tell them they bought a nice spa and continue selling them chemicals and maybe other products that you sell. I hope you all have a great December selling whatever brands that you do, and hopefully 2011 will be a big pickup for all of us!!! Good Day!!

• 1 month later...