Pool Heater Problem

scent of a mule

I have a Hayward 250 Natural gas heater. About a month ago it started popping when turned on. The pops get so forcefull that the above ground pipes move with each bang. I am sort of a novice and figured maybe air was in the lines and expanding. I have tried to configure every flow change possible to see if that would help or eliminate the problem. It doesn't matter if it is configured in spa mode or pool mode.

I have a Hayward 250 Natural gas heater. About a month ago it started popping when turned on. The pops get so forcefull that the above ground pipes move with each bang. I am sort of a novice and figured maybe air was in the lines and expanding. I have tried to configure every flow change possible to see if that would help or eliminate the problem. It doesn't matter if it is configured in spa mode or pool mode.

The heater should not bang violently for very long before it shuts itself off. does it shut off? Does your heater bang for say 10 or 15 seconds (or less) before it shuts off?

Could be a thermal, or mechanical by-pass not operating correctly, or mis-adjusted pressure switch with insufficient water flow, or yes, heat exchanger, but in my area, the exchanger wouldn't be my first or only guess. It would need to be looked at/taken apart, to verify that.

What is happening is the water is gaining too much heat as it passes thru the collector, and if the by-pass(s) cant keep the temp in check, the water boils, and the expansion of that is what you are seeing/hearing. If your heater never shuts down during this, i may then look at the exchanger for calcium building up, and slowly squeezing the copper tube (exchanger) shut. Sorry, the copper doesn't move, i meant the calcium build up is what pinches off the tube. Anyway, this is a relatively slow process, and the banging would start out light. Then as the tube got more and more buildup (over time), would progressively make more noise. Your pool would also have had to be on the high end of Ph for weeks, or even months depending on how high the Ph was.